UK2 XX156 BAe HawkT1 1994-07.jpg

Old February 6th 16, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek[_7_]

Default UK2 XX156 BAe HawkT1 1994-07.jpg

"RiŠardo" wrote in message
On 06/02/2016 13:12, Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:25:18 +0000, RiŠardo
wrote:

On 05/02/2016 10:08, Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote:
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:09:26 +0000, RiŠardo
wrote:

On 04/02/2016 14:17, Joseph Testagrose wrote:

If you're wondering what it says on the side of the aircraft, it's in
Welsh. The first word is "school" and the other two are place names,
and
"y" is "and".

Same in Spanish. I'm sure there is a reason...

The UN should airdrop a load of vowels into Wales. And remind them
that y is only ~sometimes~ a vowel... =)

Don't forget that Welsh language and its cousins pre-date "English"!

I like Wales, it's somewhere were we holiday a lot, being less than an
hour's drive away, although my Spanish is far better than my Welsh.

I have an utterly unsubstantiated suspicion that my family tree might
have a root or two there. No elders left to pick brains of...

I know I visited with my family when I was quite young; vague memories
of places with names long enough to make even a German gasp for
breath.

:-)

It's a country with views to die for!

;-)

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

It seems many people in your first pic did just that. ;-)

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series

– H.L. Mencken

---

Old February 7th 16, 01:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 14:28:09 +0000, RiŠardo
wrote:

wrote:

On 04/02/2016 14:17, Joseph Testagrose wrote:

If you're wondering what it says on the side of the aircraft,
it's in Welsh. The first word is "school" and the other two are
place names, and "y" is "and".

"y" or "yr" is "the" ( and sometimes also "per" ) "a" is "and" "o"
is "of" "Tywyn" is "Port"

so the Phrase translates literally to School the Port

A funny old language is Welsh. In comparison to English, the word
order usually puts the cart before the horse. And depending upon
the preceding word, the first letter of the following word can
change, but from an early age I could say
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch - the
only word I know with fours Ls in a row.

I think I remember my dad trying to teach me that word. I managed
to get all the way to the first L.

It seems to be shown phonetically in this link to the train station sign:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ll...3ZI4nq07zGc%3D

RiŠardo

So easy, only a kid can do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNN3Cpnur1k
Old February 7th 16, 01:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Or, if you need an ear worm that will actually chew on your gray
matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXKsQ2nbno

It basically translates to the entire visitors bureau pamphlet...
Old February 7th 16, 01:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The only redeeming facor I can see in the Welsh language as far as
learners are concerned is that it is pretty well pronounced
phonetically. The main problem is that a lot of the vowels dont
correspond to their english proninciation. Here is a paragraph
purporting to show how easily English speakers can cope"

Gwd lwc. Ai hop ddat yw can ryd ddys and ddat yt meiks sens tw yw. Iff
yw can ryd ddys, dden yw ar dwing ffaen and wil haf no problems at ol
yn lyrnyng awr ffaen Welsh alffabet.

Hint: it starts "Good luck". The rest is English translitterated to
Welsh.

Love it! =)
Old February 7th 16, 04:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RiŠardo

wrote:

[...]

That's the Welsh for you!

;-)