Portable GPS Nav system

Old April 1st 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Portable GPS Nav system

Looking for suggestions on a portable GPS Nav system. I was wondering
if a portable system could be cobbled together using a plug-in GPS
module on a PDA using Glide Navigator II or any other current software
like SeeYou mobile. I want a system I can use in rental planes.

Guy

Old April 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Guy,

Yes, Please take a look he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm

Is that what you are looking for?

I use systems like that often.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

ups.com...

Old April 1st 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Baldwin

On Apr 1, 7:23 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Guy,

Yes, Please take a look hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm

Is that what you are looking for?

I use systems like that often.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

ups.com...

Looking for suggestions on a portable GPS Nav system. I was wondering
if a portable system could be cobbled together using a plug-in GPS
module on a PDA using Glide Navigator II or any other current software
like SeeYou mobile. I want a system I can use in rental planes.

Guy

I have used a small GPS unit to plug directly into the PDA, but the
issue then becomes power. Unless you can power the PDA the PDA
battery is quickly exhausted when it's driving the PDA and a direct
connect GPS. I found it better to use a Bluetooth GPS unit (which
has it's own power), connected to a Bluetooth enabled PDA with a large
capacity battery. Surprisingly (to me) the Bluetooth consumed less
power than the direct attached GPS card and I was able to soar for
many hours.
Mike.

Old April 1st 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use:
* Palm Tungsten T (NOT T2, T3 etc.)
* Magellan GPS companion for M500 series
* Bracket for above
* power cable for above - with car lighter type plug, takes 12V with a
wide margin
* SoaringPilot software( http://www.soaringpilot.org/ )

Total cost: $200, for hardware (only on e-bay!), $0 for software

Advantages:
* Stick the bracket to the canopy with suction cups
* plug into available 12V lighter plug or to your own 12V battery
* GPS also charges PDA
* superb daylight readability of color screen
* excellent software - puts to shame some of the commercial ones (not
all..)
* fantastic software support

Uri
4X-GGG
P.S.: if you find the charger in the GPS module interferes with the
radio, reduce input voltage to 9V...

On Apr 1, 5:18 pm, "Mike Baldwin" wrote:
On Apr 1, 7:23 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Guy,

Yes, Please take a look hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm

Is that what you are looking for?

I use systems like that often.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

oups.com...

Looking for suggestions on a portable GPS Nav system. I was wondering
if a portable system could be cobbled together using a plug-in GPS
module on a PDA using Glide Navigator II or any other current software
like SeeYou mobile. I want a system I can use in rental planes.

Guy

I have used a small GPS unit to plug directly into the PDA, but the
issue then becomes power. Unless you can power the PDA the PDA
battery is quickly exhausted when it's driving the PDA and a direct
connect GPS. I found it better to use a Bluetooth GPS unit (which
has it's own power), connected to a Bluetooth enabled PDA with a large
capacity battery. Surprisingly (to me) the Bluetooth consumed less
power than the direct attached GPS card and I was able to soar for
many hours.
Mike.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 1st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

For the last several years I have flown using a 3850 iPAQ with a PCcard
jacket and a PCcard GPS card installed and a suction cup mount. This allows
me to switch between club planes.

With everything fully charged I can get about 2 hours, a little short. I
built a 6 volt battery pack using a D-cell battery clip from the aviation
aisle at Radio Shack. I also purchased a cable with the appropriate
Adapt-a-Plug to fit the connection on the iPAQ jacket. Using 4 D-cells (6
v, 20AH battery), I flew all last summer on the same batteries. The iPAQ and
Jacket were always fully charged.

I have a RAM mount from Cumulus Soaring consisting of the holder for the
iPAQ with jacket, the large balls with about a 3" arm and the really big
suction cup.
I've flown for 6 hours with this config and not had the suction cup come
loose from the canopy. I had one langing hard enough to pop the stylus out
of the top of the iPAQ, but the suction cup held.

I used GPSlog for a while, but have switched to SeeYou mobile. Both
products worked very well.

John Scott

Old April 1st 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"John Scott" wrote in message
.. .
For the last several years I have flown using a 3850 iPAQ with a PCcard
jacket and a PCcard GPS card installed and a suction cup mount. This
allows me to switch between club planes.

John Scott

Be cautious parking in direct sun with a suction cup on the canopy. I have
seen suction cups cause round areas of crazed plastic. (This was not on a
RAM suction cup.)

This crazing may have been caused by differential heating, with the suction
cup area getting hotter than the surrounding plastic, or it may have been
caused by aromatics leaching out of the suction cup material.

If this is a concern, one might consider putting reflective (aluminum or SS)
where the suction cup is to go.

bumper

Old April 1st 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"bumper" wrote in message news:JyRPh.5750

If this is a concern, one might consider putting reflective (aluminum or SS)
where the suction cup is to go.

That wasn't very clear. What I meant to say is: One might consider putting
reflective tape on the inside canopy surface where the suction cup is to go.
The apply the suction cup to the tape.

bumper

Old April 5th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ira Blieden

wrote:
Looking for suggestions on a portable GPS Nav system. I was wondering
if a portable system could be cobbled together using a plug-in GPS
module on a PDA using Glide Navigator II or any other current software
like SeeYou mobile. I want a system I can use in rental planes.

Guy

As a backup system, I have a Garmin iQueM5 with See You Mobile. It is a
PDA running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition with a built in GPS
system and a flip up GPS antenna. I have not yet registered (which
gives me the register pop-up) but it does work and works very well. I
believe that Glide Navigator II will also work. I’ll report back once I
try GNII.

Within See You Mobile, you need to set the GPS port to Com4. Leave the
other Comm settings as default.

Also:
Settings-System-Que Preferences-System: Set Launch QueMap when GPS is
enabled to Off
Settings-System-Que Preferences-Routing: Off-Route Recalculation to
Off (a)
Setting - Button: change Button 4 from being QueCycle to your Glider
Navigation S/W. This is mostly to keep QueMap from starting up while in
the air.

Notes:
- You can run both QueMap and the Glider Navigation S/W at the same
time. Lots of fun especially in a car.
- (A) there is a setting that will automatically start up the QueMap
S/W. I believe that Off-Route Recalculation being on is it. I will
need to go flying to verify.
- I would recommend connecting the Garmin iQue M5 to an external Battery
supply. You can get a simple car charger on Ebay.

Ira

Old April 6th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gunnar

I use an iPAQ 3955 with a Navman 3420 gps. The iPAQ 3955 runs SeeYou
Moble. This works well in the car with a remote antenna for the gps
sleeve.

If I fly a glider with no flight computer or gps, I use this system
with an external battery.

The Navman 3420 and iPAQ 3955 are available on ebay all the time. So
is the remote antenna for the 3420.

Hope this helps,

Gunnar