Region 4 S: ELT Mandatory

Old June 17th 04, 12:59 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Default Region 4 S: ELT Mandatory

I just received a note from Lanier Frantz stating that all competitors
at R4S must have an ELT. I understand the reason for this decision,
but I question whether it will have the intended effect. I have long
been against mandatory ELT use in soaring comopetitions for one reason
only: they do not operate as advertised. While 121.5 MHz ELTs are
useful in locating a crash scene, they are nearly useless as a life
saving device. And, in fact, these units only activate properly in
about 12% of crashes.

The management of R4S
Old June 18th 04, 10:43 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Chris
OCallaghan writes
I just received a note from Lanier Frantz stating that all competitors
at R4S must have an ELT. I understand the reason for this decision,
but I question whether it will have the intended effect. I have long
been against mandatory ELT use in soaring comopetitions for one reason
only: they do not operate as advertised. While 121.5 MHz ELTs are
useful in locating a crash scene, they are nearly useless as a life
saving device. And, in fact, these units only activate properly in
about 12% of crashes.

The management of R4S

And one of the snags of this device is that they have been know to go
off accidentally.
When that happens a great bit expensive helicopter suddenly appears over
your trailer....
--
Mike Lindsay
Old June 19th 04, 06:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mike Lindsay wrote:

And one of the snags of this device is that they have been know to go
off accidentally.
When that happens a great bit expensive helicopter suddenly appears over
your trailer....

The one I have can be disabled with a pin (with an attached red flag to
make it obvious). I use to disable it for trailering, then I got lazy,
and 50,000 trailer miles later, no activation. My trailer is metal, so
the signal wouldn't get out anyhow.

Has anyone had an ELT activate while trailering?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old June 19th 04, 11:40 PM
Tom Serkowski

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
Has anyone had an ELT activate while trailering?

I turn mine off after each flight.

Just before turning off the master switch, radio goes to 121.5, then I
toggle ELT power from standby to off pausing for one blip in the on
position. This way I can also check for any ELT's that may be active
at the airport.

When I turn on the master, the radio's on 121.5 and I don't switch
until the ELT is on and verified functional with one blip.

I keep meaning to have someone shove me in the trailer while in the
cockpit to see if the metal trailer blocks the signal, but still
haven't remembered to do it.

-Tom
ASH-26E