SSA: PR and results

Old July 29th 04, 01:50 PM
Robert de León

Default SSA: PR and results

From: "Dawn M. Sullivan"

Tom,

You are right, publicity is an important "element" of an organization.
But I would ask you and others who contact their regional directors to
take it one step further. Publicity is one component of an
organization's marketing function, which includes driving member
loyalty, communications (intenal and external), public relations,
media relations, branding, etc. This individual, among the other
duties taking up his or her time, would include supporting clubs and
commercial operations around the country, helping them with community
relations, announcing events and accomplishments, providing press
kits, etc.

How many Regional Directors are experts at marketing, have the REQUIRED
tools from the core source (SSA), AND are getting them out to the point men
(clubs and FBOs) and making sure they're working?

As far as the SSA's efforts towards PR and publicity--what exactly has been
allocated and budgeted for this? Last year there was an SSA
promotion--designed for clubs to initiate: to attract rated power pilots to
the sport. Good idea...that's a very viable market for soaring. But what's
being done this year? How much motivation, training, and tools is SSA
offering to its point men: the soaring clubs? I've been in my club for 8
years. The bulk of our membership growth has been through our own
efforts...which are cyclical at best. But when made, the efforts have
yielded some new members. I've seen very little PR and effort emanate out of
SSA. The lack of strong representation and visibility at major aviation
events (Oshkosh) is but one example. Yes, it costs money...but it's not an
expenditure, it's an investment. IF you recognize the real value and how it
needs to be done. There are plenty of successful examples to model after.

What about clubs? If we are really interested in growing the sport,
what investment are we (SSA members) willing to make? A dedicated
YOUNG, MOTIVATED, EDUCATED marketer at the SSA would be a great start.
But a marketer needs resources... us. How far are we willing to go to
support that function?

It must emanate out of the lead element: the national organization. If you
can't hire the right source--either internally or externally--you're in
trouble. You have to clearly recognize what the problems are, recognize what
the best solutions are, and get the money moving towards it. Why do I say
this? Because I've been in the business of creative communications for 28
years. I've seen the success and the failures. And right now, there's TOO
much hand-wringing about costs as opposed to concerns about solutions.
Probably due to a lack of motivation towards educating one's self about
where the right experts are for getting the desired results. (For more on my
background in the business, go to: http://www.deleondesign.net)

SSA should: have a planned marketing format that it can give to the Regional
Directors AND clubs to follow with the emphasis that if you don't grow this
sport you're in danger of dying. If you want to soar and see the
opportunities for your pleasure in the sport to be sustained, then you have
to be a sales and marketing expert...an ambassador for your hobby.

All this is well spelled out in the book "Selling The Invisible" by Harry
Beckworth. An excellent primer for successful promotion and marketing.

I've read so many threads on this and the concerns that this great sport is
declining. Come on SSA, learn what it really requires to turn it around.

Bob de Leon