Aero Composites Propellers

Old June 11th 04, 02:48 AM
Badwater Bill

Default Aero Composites Propellers

Anybody have any experience with these props? I just bought one
today. After reading their website they look good, but what do you
guys know, if anything?

BWb

Old June 11th 04, 05:55 PM
John Ammeter

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:11:38 GMT,
(Badwater Bill) wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 02:45:01 GMT, John Ammeter
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:48:56 GMT,

(Badwater Bill) wrote:

Anybody have any experience with these props? I just bought one
today. After reading their website they look good, but what do you
guys know, if anything?

BWb

I know I'd have asked that question before buying the
prop....

John

Yeah John. I did. I just didn't ask it here because I figured that
no one here would know anything about it. It's too "High End" both
technically and monetarily for the RAHians.

If it were a wooden $250 prop to mount on an ultralight, everyone here
would have an opinion. Since it's a $15,000 prop (model 3300 three
blade) to mount on an IO-550 that also costs another $50,000, I
really didn't think of using RAH as my technical source of data.

For some strange reason, I just felt like fishing here to see if by
chance there was someone...just one person who might have had some
experience with these guys. I should have known better.

I'll shoot a picture of it later today and post it so you can see it.
It's a work of art. I'm going to bring it home and put it in the
middle of my living room floor along with the IO-550 core I just
bought. In fact, John, do you think that wall between my living room
and the garage is load bearing? I may just knock that wall out and
turn the living room and garage into one big airplane building room.

BWB

No, that isn't a load bearing wall... just holds up the rest
of your house.

Why not just set up a tent in your backyard?

When you first posted about that prop I thought it might
like one I saw several years ago. Actually, all I saw was
the hub and the stubs where the blades used to be. I don't
recall the make but it was an air-adjustable (not CS) prop.
They used wooden blades with metal bands bonded to the wood
prop. The pitch angle could be changed via a small electric
motor and drive mechanism.

The pilot was flying from eastern Washington west to the
Seattle area. He was almost exactly halfway between Stevens
and Snoqualmie Passes above a solid cloud deck when the prop
shed both blades. If I recall the details, he was at about
10,000 feet. He did see one opening below him but only saw
tree tops. There aren't ANY flat areas in the Cascades...

His wife was in the back seat of the RV-4 and getting pretty
panicked by now...

He chose to glide northwest hoping to find an opening in the
clouds and flat ground under him. Gliding down through the
clouds, he spotted the emergency airport near Highway 2 east
of Goldbar. He still didn't know exactly what had happened
to the prop. Coming in for a landing, there was no drag
from the prop and he ran off the far end of the runway but
no real damage to the plane or any injurys.

The stubs of the blades looked like the wood was crumbling,
kind of like "dry rot".

So, anyway, your prop is a completely different design....

John
Old June 11th 04, 06:47 PM
Fastglasair

For some strange reason, I just felt like fishing here to see if by
chance there was someone...just one person who might have had some
experience with these guys. I should have known better.

I would have purchased from Whirlwind in El Cajon, CA at Gillespie Field. I put
a 3 blade on my race modified HIO360-C1D6 This is the same type of Prop Wayne
Handley used on his piston driven Raven. They have been around for 9 or 10
years. I would have also considered Hoffman. BTW mine is on a Glasair 1-RG
located in Ogden, UT. I have had it up to 210 Kts true so far, only been flying
it a few months. Also, I enjoyed your Alien story.
Old June 12th 04, 04:11 AM
Morgans

"Badwater Bill" wrote

do you think that wall between my living room
and the garage is load bearing? I may just knock that wall out and
turn the living room and garage into one big airplane building room.

BWB

Is it a one story? If so, go in the attic and look which way the ceiling
joists or trusses run. If they are parallel to the wall in question, the
wall may be safely removed.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old June 12th 04, 04:08 PM
RobertR237

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:48:56 GMT,
(Badwater Bill) wrote:

[...]

Let me put it this way Bill, if I had that kind of money to spend on a prop, it
would not have been spent on the Aero Composites Propeller. I would have spent
it on the best prop I could find for the money and that would have been the MT
Propeller.

So why did you bother to ask here at all? Just to try and start a flame fest
or otherwise show how superior you think you are to everyone else here?

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old June 12th 04, 08:15 PM
Dave Driscoll

Bob,

Not that I want to start a flame war, but what is your basis for the
claim that the MT is a superior product? I'm actually quite interested
as I've reviewed them both recently and find that while one certainly
has a more proven commercial record, in my opinion, the other is
technically a far superior product.

Regards,

Dave Driscoll

RobertR237 wrote:

Old June 12th 04, 09:31 PM
RobertR237

Bob,

Not that I want to start a flame war, but what is your basis for the
claim that the MT is a superior product? I'm actually quite interested
as I've reviewed them both recently and find that while one certainly
has a more proven commercial record, in my opinion, the other is
technically a far superior product.

Regards,

Dave Driscoll

I have reviewed them both as well and was not convinced that Technical
Superiority was enough. I have always leaned toward the technical end myself
but the more I have learned about props, the more convinced I become that a
proven track record is more important. The MT has not only established a
proven commmercial record, they are well proven in application.