Did commercial glider pilots used to give instruction?

Old December 16th 03, 09:57 PM
Mark James Boyd

Default Did commercial glider pilots used to give instruction?

I read recently that in 1996, the regulations were changed
so that commercial balloon pilots (who used to
be able to give instruction) could no longer do so.
They were instead required to become balloon CFIs.

As far as I know the only current reference to instruction
given by non-CFI or ATPs is the "psuedo-instruction"
given by towpilots to wanna-be tow pilots. As far
as I can find, this is the only non-CFI/ATP
flight endorsement in part 61 and 91.

I also heard rumor that
commercial glider pilots used to be able to give
glider instruction to students. Is this true?
How long ago did this change?

Old December 16th 03, 11:18 PM
Marc Ramsey

Mark James Boyd wrote:
I also heard rumor that
commercial glider pilots used to be able to give
glider instruction to students. Is this true?
How long ago did this change?

I have also heard this. I suspect it must have changed during the early
'60s. By the time I started taking glider lessons in the late '60s, a
CFIG was required. Back then, you did not need to have a commercial
license to become a CFIG, unless you wanted to get paid. I actually
received instruction a few times from a 16 year old CFIG (I was 15 at
the time).

Marc

Old December 16th 03, 11:28 PM
Nolaminar

Best guess would have been about 1966 when Commercial Glider Pilots with enough
time were "Grandfathered" into CFI-G.
GA
Old December 17th 03, 04:35 AM
Bob2nd

No rumor at all. It did change in 1966 because when I started in 1967 a CFIG
was required. A friend who started a year earlier and got his commercial
glider gave instruction that summer at a CAP camp. He later got a CFIG with
only a show of paperwork. I don't think he even had to take a written and
certainly not a flight test.

Am I the only old fart on this group that remembers this stuff?

Bob VanTreese
Old December 18th 03, 03:05 AM
Jim Kellett

"Bob2nd" wrote in message
Am I the only old fart on this group that remembers this stuff?

Nope. I learned in 1966 from several brand new CFI(G)s who'd just been
grandfathered in from CPL(G)s. The change was somewhere around 1964-6

Jim Kellett
Resident Curmudgeon

Old December 18th 03, 03:17 PM
Kolie Lombard

I think in South Africa they still have the Assistant Instructor's
rating, requiring 100 hrs or 300 launches P1 in gliders, & 50k or 5
hrs.

See http://www.sssa.org.za (The SSSA is the Air Recreation
Organisation (ARO) for Gliding in South Africa)

Kolie
Old December 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Nyal Williams

At 04:48 17 December 2003, Bob2nd wrote:
No rumor at all. It did change in 1966 because when
I started in 1967 a CFIG
was required. A friend who started a year earlier
and got his commercial
glider gave instruction that summer at a CAP camp.
He later got a CFIG with
only a show of paperwork. I don't think he even had
to take a written and
certainly not a flight test.

Am I the only old fart on this group that remembers
this stuff?

Bob VanTreese

No!

I am one such. Having learned gliding while attached
to the Belgian Army in Cologne, (60 winch launches
in primaries and a total of 2 short flights in the
Grunau Baby), I came back to North Carolina and helped
start the Tarheel Soaring Club.

I was instructed in aero tow and signed off to solo
a TG-3 by a commercial glider pilot who was not a CFI.

At that time, the examiner was allowed to observe the
flights from the ground and I proceeded to get the
Private Certificate and the Commercial Certificate
from the same examiner while he watched from the ground
and wrote up the paper work. Apparently, all he wanted
to see was a stall and recovery and the landing within
the prescribed 200ft. The glider was the TG-3, a two-seater,
but the examiner was afraid to get in a glider.

We learned a couple of years later that the CFI requirement
was imminent and that any commercial rated glider pilot
with 10 flights and 2 hours of giving instruction would
be grandfathered. I rushed out, got a student and
hustled through this requirement and was issued the
CFI-G just by showing my logbook. So, here was a brand-new
CFI-G who had never been in a plane or a glider with
an examiner for any rating at all!

Lest, anyone worry about this, I let the CFI expire
after about 8 years, finally got a Pvt. SEL rating
30 years later, and then got the CFI-G re-instated
after that by having a proper flight test with an examiner
on board in 1996.

Old December 19th 03, 07:51 AM
Bruce

Hi Kolie

The Air Experience Instructor rating is still there. No longer requires
a silver C, but there is now a written theory test. (It's buried in the
ARO if you want to read the details)

Bruce