Best Electronic E6B?

Old November 10th 05, 02:30 PM
Lakeview Bill

Default Best Electronic E6B?

I'm working on my Christmas list, and I am looking at electronic E6B
computers. I will be using it during my training/testing for a Sport Pilot
certificate. Here's what I'm looking at:

Sporty's E6B - $59.95

Jeppesen TechStar Flight Computer - $49.95

CX-2 Pathfinder Flight Computer - $79.95

Can anybody give me any pros/cons of these models, or suggest any other
models that can be used for FAA tests?

Which would be most appropriate for Day VFR, as I will only be able to get a
Sport Pilot certificate?

Which offers the most bang for the buck?

Thanks!

Old November 10th 05, 05:11 PM
Chris G.

Old November 10th 05, 05:58 PM
Wolfgang Kemper

Chris G. wrote:

The cons of any of the electronic ones is that the batteries will run
dead when you need it the most and can't replace the batteries (cuz you
are flying and/or just don't have batteries).

I had a discussion with my ground instructors about this issue.
Frankly spoken if you are concerned about battery lifetime I guess you
do hand prop your plane and have a signal-mirror to establish two way
communication :-)

Yes I have the slide version of the e6b with me but I have never used it
The batteries in a electronic e6b last for ever (I have the Jeppsen) and
it take me 20 sec. to replace it. (Yes I was curious and did this during
flight just to see if my instructor was right)

My only concern is the display if you have direct sunshine on it.

Maybe this is a personal thing but I need less time to use the
electronic version than to fiddle with the slide. And I need only one hand.

Just a remark: I love the old way, I have a slide rule which I use at
work and I use the slide E6B when I do my flight planning.
But during the flight I want to use the most effective and easy tool I
could get.

Maybe we should suggest to jeppsen,sporty, etc to develop a e6b with
solar cells , just to overcome the old battery story (well during night
flight you need them again):-)

The Pros: You have a piece of history in your hands

Old November 10th 05, 08:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Which offers the most bang for the buck?

None of the above.

Neither Mary nor I have ever used an E6B since we got our tickets. Not
once, in over 1500 hours and ten years of flying.

Put your money toward a nice GPS, or a good pair of ANR headphones. At
least *those* won't end up in a box in a closet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 11th 05, 12:28 AM
Michael Ware

I agree. I think I have used my Jepp in the plane maybe once. Do a thorough
job of planning on the ground and you really shouldn't need one. Save up for
a GPS or spare headset.

Old November 11th 05, 01:50 AM
john smith

Put your money toward a nice GPS, or a good pair of ANR headphones. At
least *those* won't end up in a box in a closet.

The GPS will have an E-6B program embedded.
I use mine during flight to calculate density altitude for power
settings.
Time and distance are automatically performed in the NAV mode of the GPS.
Fuel calculation are simple given the flow and information from the NAV
display.
Old November 11th 05, 08:45 AM
Thomas Borchert

Chris,

The cons of any of the electronic ones is that the batteries will run
dead when you need it the most and can't replace the batteries (cuz you
are flying and/or just don't have batteries).

Ah, and the cons of the mechanical ones is that they will break when you
need it the most. Whoop! Whoop! Red herring alert!!!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 13th 05, 01:09 AM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Which offers the most bang for the buck?

None of the above.

Neither Mary nor I have ever used an E6B since we got our tickets. Not
once, in over 1500 hours and ten years of flying.

Put your money toward a nice GPS, or a good pair of ANR headphones. At
least *those* won't end up in a box in a closet.

Likewise, but I had to learn again to take my commercial written last
December and it appears I'll have to relearn again to pass the practical
exam. I'm hoping to find some freeware for my PalmPilot for the test as
I'll not need it again after that. I just can't imagine a single pilot
trying to draw on the wiz wheel while flying in turbulence...

Matt
Old November 13th 05, 05:25 AM
Jose

I'm hoping to find some freeware for my PalmPilot for the test as I'll not need it again after that.

CoPilot, by Laurie Davis.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 13th 05, 01:55 PM
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

I'm hoping to find some freeware for my PalmPilot for the test as I'll
not need it again after that.

CoPilot, by Laurie Davis.

I have that, but it seems to lack a few of the essential E6B functions.
I like the W&B capability however.

Matt