How to update Garmin 430 data-card?

Old January 2nd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default How to update Garmin 430 data-card?

Hello,

I need to update the Garmin 430 datacard. Can i do this with my PC?
And what hardware do I need to do this?

Thanks

-dr

Old January 2nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy N5804F

You need to buy a Skybound USB adaptor and subscribe to Navdata updates all
only available from Jeppesen.

Roy

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gus Cabre

Have a look on
https://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/applic...o ry_id=CNS4A

Gus

Old January 2nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
bdl

"Dico" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I need to update the Garmin 430 datacard. Can i do this with my PC?
And what hardware do I need to do this?

And bring Money!

--bdl

Old January 3rd 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

The Skybound USB adaptor including software is $149. NavData is around
$360 for 13 28-day updates.

Be aware that the new WAAS upgrade has an 8mb card instead of the 4mb
card used in the 430. I called Jepp and they don't seem clear whether
the existing USB adaptor will function with the new card.

A related question on WAAS is how one would update the terrain card.
Terrain data comes from Garmin so might require a separate adaptor.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Paul kgyy wrote:

Be aware that the new WAAS upgrade has an 8mb card instead of the 4mb
card used in the 430. I called Jepp and they don't seem clear whether
the existing USB adaptor will function with the new card.

Oooh. Good point. I am a Skybound user now and didn't even give that any
thought until your post.

--
Peter
Old January 3rd 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Peter R. wrote:

Paul kgyy wrote:

Be aware that the new WAAS upgrade has an 8mb card instead of the 4mb
card used in the 430. I called Jepp and they don't seem clear whether
the existing USB adaptor will function with the new card.

Oooh. Good point. I am a Skybound user now and didn't even give that any
thought until your post.

Why would a card reader limit ones ability to read a larger capacity card?

Isn't a card reader is a dumb device?

Is it the driver software that is the limiting factor?

Old January 3rd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

Why would a card reader limit ones ability to read a larger capacity card?

Isn't a card reader is a dumb device?

Is it the driver software that is the limiting factor?

I wasn't concerned about the reader. I was concerned about having to buy
another card from Jeppesen. Currently I have two cards so that I am able
to easily burn one at home while the other is in the GPS.

--
Peter
Old January 4th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Is it the driver software that is the limiting factor?

With Jeppesen + software + hardware on 2 devices, it would not pay to
assume anything.

I am using a pcmcia card now with skybound and will upgrade to usb only
when I get an unequivocal answer from Jepp.

Will a generic card reader work for downloading Garmin GNS 430 updates? Ron Lee Piloting 7 October 24th 06 08:38 PM
Lowrance AirMap 2000c update FlyWithTwo Home Built 2 June 8th 06 10:00 AM
New JPIHACK [email protected] Owning 1 June 1st 06 11:03 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Graphics Jim Chambers Simulators 14 April 22nd 04 03:29 AM