Aero Commander 100 Darter

Old June 26th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Default Aero Commander 100 Darter

Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?
Lou
Old June 26th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

I imagine it is relatively cheap because it is an orphan without ready
access to airframe parts. I saw one of these at Falcon Field in Mesa a few
years ago parked in front of the Anzio Landing Italian restaurant. I was
struck by the Mooney-like vertical stabilizer on a body resembling a Cessna.
I think Rockwell pulled the production plug because it was outperformed by
the current Cessna and Piper singles.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old June 26th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Jun 25, 6:56 pm, Lou wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?
Lou

We did some work on a Lark, the 180 hp version. It was intended to
compete with the 172, but needed that 180 hp just to haul the heavy
airframe around. In some ways it's a robust airplane, rather simple,
but has some odd features. The aluminum sheet metal is only a cover
around the cabin; the primary structure is steel tube, and stronger
than a tank. The landing gear is a pivoted steel tube structure, using
a fiberglass leaf as a spring. Try to buy a new one of those springs.
The flaps are plain piano-hinged affairs, cheap like a Cherokee's, not
having the Fowler action but also not having flap tracks and rollers
and other high-maintenance stuff. The floor is nice and flat and is
thick plywood. The seats set you up nice and high, like driving a
truck. The oil pressure line from the engine to the gauge is 1/4"
copper tube that fatigues and breaks at the engine, which then pumps
all the oil overboard. False economy of the worst sort.
They'd be good buys in Canada where such an airplane could be
registered Owner-Maintenance, and parts manufactured as necessary. Not
so easy in the US. And the fuel mileage will be poor, with that 180 hp
but mediocre cruise.

Dan
Old June 26th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Lou wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?

Mike and Dan hit the nail on the head. Orphaned airplanes can be risky to
own because of parts availability. The Commander Lark and Darter are
particularly bad in this respect because they were made in very small numbers
for only a few years.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 27th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

On Jun 26, 3:28 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Lou wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?

Mike and Dan hit the nail on the head. Orphaned airplanes can be risky to
own because of parts availability. The Commander Lark and Darter are
particularly bad in this respect because they were made in very small numbers
for only a few years.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks guys, that would explain the price tags. Kinda
like buying an old International Harvester SUV.
Lou
Old June 27th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Lou wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?

Mike and Dan hit the nail on the head. Orphaned airplanes can be risky to
own because of parts availability. The Commander Lark and Darter are
particularly bad in this respect because they were made in very small numbers
for only a few years.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks guys, that would explain the price tags. Kinda
like buying an old International Harvester SUV.
Lou

Hey! I own a 1951 International L110 pickup. There are guys here
in Alberta looking for IHC Scouts and so on, and they seem to be
getting more popular. That little Scout had a four-banger that had
been developed from half of the 305 V8 they used in a lot of their
trucks, and would just about climb trees.
But your point is valid. I'll need to replace the windshield
soon, and it won't be cheap. I wish it was a few years older when the
windshields were two-piece flat affairs that some glass shops can cut
from raw laminated sheet. This one is curved. I got around the engine
parts problem by making a few major mods and putting a Ford 300 inline
six in it, along with a Ford 3-speed transmission.

Dan
Old July 31st 08, 02:19 PM
drmax drmax is offline
Junior Member

Hi. Looking into a Darter. There are parts around, but you'd really need to smash it up, to require something so specialized. Electrical is piper. Any bolts or bushing, tierod ends and the such are generic. They fly a bit faster than the 300 cont. cessna. Stahl like a piper.
From what I understand...if you're getting one, don't plan on reselling in a hurry, just because as previously mentioned, there are not many around and folks are leary of them. Price is great. Apples to apples, for the most part, as comparing to a 172. Usually 5 to 8K cheaper.
Just my opinion. My info come from owners and research.
If I get one, I'll leave some info.
Old December 13th 10, 07:30 PM
Ron James Ron James is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Mike Noel;642204]I imagine it is relatively cheap because it is an orphan without ready

. Lou" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing these planes
selling for what seems like a great price? Every once
in a while someone advertises this brand and model,
but different planes for the same price as most Cessna
150's. Why? What is the problem with these planes?
Lou
[/Yes, they are an orphan, but parts are not as hard to come by as one mighht expect, J.C. Enterprises has some of them, many others are identical to parts from other airplanes of the era. I have 4 of the Darters, one flying, one to build from others parts. The one seen in Mesa has changed hands, owner at Anzio Landing was happy with it, gave lessons in it, attested to it's ruggedness. To me it's preferred because of : inexpensive aquisition cost, all metal, mine has to endure AZ outdoor weather, tough, low maintenance costs, no expensive or recurring AD's]
Old December 28th 10, 05:57 AM
stevebucknor1 stevebucknor1 is offline
Junior Member

I Imagine it is relatively cheap because it is an orphan without ready access to airframe parts. I saw one of these at Falcon Field in Mesa a few years ago parked in front of the Anzio Landing Italian restaurant. It was really amazing and fantastic.
Old May 2nd 11, 06:50 AM
alan.k alan.k is offline
Junior Member

Hi everybody!

My name is Alan, I'm 21 and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm looking for four seat aircraft such as C172/175. In the middle of my search someone offered to me a Darter Commander 100 (AC100). This one looks very good and has got the mayor stuffs that I was looking for.

I was surfing on the internet looking for more information about this airplane but I didn't get so much really. So I request you please give me some information about the AC100 (150HP engine).

I was reading that is an "orphan" airplane. I think you were meaning that has no more manufacturer in that case if the airplane need to be repaired, how should i do to get any part? I mean... is very dificult? it can't be repleaced with any other part?

I have al lot of questions about this. Please tell me all you know about this.

Thanks a lot for you attention.

Best regards from Argentina

Alan

PS: Excuse me for my english. I'm starting the ICAO's english lessons tomorrow. And excuse for write on this old topic.