More Glide Nav 2 questions - Need technical advice

Old March 9th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

Default More Glide Nav 2 questions - Need technical advice

On Mar 9, 6:43*am, rlovinggood wrote:
Thanks Paul,

I thought "To Finish" in that application meant to head for Finish at
that time, thus bypassing any remaining turnpoints. *That would be as
in a MAT when you have decided you've flown all the turn points you
can, and you're not going to attempt others, and you want to head
home.

I hope I can try this out soon!

Ray

Be careful here, however. To display "glide to finish", GNII needs to
understand exactly which turnpoints you've been to, and which ones you
still have to complete. If -- as we always do -- you punch in a few
alternatives as you end a MAT, trying to figure out a sequence which
will use up the available time, it is very easy for GNII to get
confused, and not know which turnpoints have been completed and yet to
go. If you punch in a few "glide to" options on the way, that can also
confuse it as GNII sometimes uses that as a signal that you have
indeed rounded a last turnpoint.. For example, suppose you're flying
over A on the way to turnpoint B, and A is the turnpoint following B.
You get low and wonder if you can make it back to A so you punch
"glide to A" as a landpoint. This tells GNII that you turned B, even
though you haven't.

Alas GNII does not (yet!) have a manual override on which turnpoints
have/have not been reached, so sometimes the only solution is to kill
the whole task, and then start a new one, with only the remaining
turnpoints.

John Cochrane
Old March 9th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 9, 9:22*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
If you punch in a few "glide to" options on the way, that can also
confuse it ..

Yes, concur with John.

GNII "show task" data can get totally screwed up if you do any
intermediate safety glide selections. This really detracts from the
utility of GNII for area task predictions.

I have learned to only select a safety glide if I'm really going to
have to use it. To keep awareness of my safety glide options I
monitor the map icons and tap the points that I think I may use for a
safety glide to see how much margin I have.

To extend the cautions on GNII - be very careful of how it estimates
task completion times, particularly for an out and return area task
with a strong tail wind on the first leg.

I have become tired of the bugs in GNII and the lack of support for
the product and am evaluating a different system this season. It's
unfortunate that the "dog ate the compiler" since GNII was designed by
a contest pilot for contest pilots and I have not found another system
that rivals the touch screen user interface.

Andy

Old March 9th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

Actually, there is hope for GN II yet. A new group of developers is making
some progress on the software now. Hopefully there will be a new release in
the next few months.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 9th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 9, 1:56*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Andy,

Actually, there is hope for GN II yet. *A new group of developers is making
some progress on the software now. *Hopefully there will be a new release in
the next few months.

Would there be any point in my digging through all my old emails to
Chip and sending you a list of all the bugs and product improvements
that I have identified in the past?

Andy
Old March 10th 10, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

I think you would love to use the freeware Tactical glide computer
programm LK8000

In a few days or weeks the 1.20 version will be released.
It runs perfectly on PC/PPC2002/PPC2003/WM5/WM6... portrait or
landscape mode
I can say as a beta tester it is a great piece of software. Stable!
Fast! With great features, who are all very well tested.

Old March 10th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

That would be great! I requested suggestions for improvements in my last
e-mail newsletter.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Old March 10th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Not to hijack the thread, but again - for those seeking a free
alternative I humbly suggest XCSoar. Its super-customizable, does
just about everything that SeeYou does, and works well for tasking (at
least, for the badges and the 2 contests I've flown so far).

--Noel

Old March 10th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Update: After looking at the LK8000 screenshots, it is obvious that
it is some kind of customized / enhanced system based on the XCSoar
code (same user interface).

--Noel
Old March 11th 10, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

On 10 Mrz., 18:13, "noel.wade" wrote:
Update: *After looking at the LK8000 screenshots, it is obvious that
it is some kind of customized / enhanced system based on the XCSoar
code (same user interface).

--Noel

Yes LK8000 is a fork from XCSoar. Paolo did the 5.2.4 PNA XCSoar
Version and then developed his own free LK8000
I can say as a beta tester. XCSoar is full of really bad bugs. It
crashes often. It calculates wrong! Paolo bugfixed hundreds of real
heavy bugs. Now LK8000 is nearly ready do rollout, but we want to test
it even more.
So highly not recommend XCSoar. I really could be dangerous to trust
wrong calculations. Sorry to say but its the truth.
We are often not understand how this bad bugs could stay in XCSoar so
long and no one noticed them. No one really tested it?