For Jim Weir: Transponder Installation

Old January 30th 04, 04:26 AM
Ron Wanttaja

Default For Jim Weir: Transponder Installation

Hey, Jim, I've bought a Microair T2000 to replace the bum transponder in my
Fly Baby. A couple of questions:

1. The instructions say not to install the antenna within one meter of the
unit. What's the limiting factor here? I always prefer short cable runs,
and had a nice spot picked out 15 or so inches away. What problems is a
near-by antenna introducing?

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie, and I'd
just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each connection,
too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

3. I'm about 99.99999% sure about this, but with $1500 on the line, I'd
appreciate confirmation: When the installation manual shows the pin
assignments for the DB-25 connector, the assignments are as if I am looking
directly at the connector on the transponder...right? In other words, the
connector itself will be a mirror of this diagram. That seems to be
confirmed by the teeny teeny numbering on the DB-25 supplied with the unit.

A couple of questions to RAH in general:

Considering that I operate in an ATC environment next to never (Excluding
the temporary tower at Arlington, I've been into a controlled field three
times in the past seventeen years, and two of those were NORDO), is there
any real need to install an external Ident button? The one on the unit
itself is tiny, but I figure I can pull off a glove to press it if needed.
Adding a button complicates my connector arrangements (the unit is being
installed in a removable box).

Second, my existing encoder is a Terra AT3000. It was working at the last
check, but is anyone aware of any specific issues with this model? As long
as I'm digging things up anyway, I could just as well pay another $150 for
a new encoder, but am loath to do that without a specific reason.

(Loath, adj.: Already in trouble with the wife for spending $1500 for a
new electronics gadget.)

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 30th 04, 06:56 PM
Jay

I figured since you posted it in the newsgroup it was open to others
throwing out their 2 cents...

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message . ..
1. The instructions say not to install the antenna within one meter of the
unit. What's the limiting factor here? I always prefer short cable runs,
and had a nice spot picked out 15 or so inches away. What problems is a
near-by antenna introducing?

I'd follow their advice, apparently they have concern that some of
that 200W on Tx will make it back inside the box. The field strength
falls off quickly with range so moving the antenna away from the rest
of your gear makes a big difference. The short antenna cable runs
will give you slightly more power I suppose radiated but I don't think
anyone is going to notice, especially if you're using the right coax
for your antenna feed.

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie, and I'd
just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

The jury is still out on what effects microwave radiation has on the
body (besides the obvious burns warned about in the HAM regs). I
think your intuition is correct and don't put the antenna right next
to your "junk" even though there is a null in the field moving out
from each end of the whip.

2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each connection,
too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

The best way to do these is use the good quality crimping machined
pins (not stamped) that insert into the connector one at a time. The
crimp tool is not cheap but maybe your EAA chapter has one in its tool
crib you can use.

3. I'm about 99.99999% sure about this, but with $1500 on the line, I'd
appreciate confirmation: When the installation manual shows the pin
assignments for the DB-25 connector, the assignments are as if I am looking
directly at the connector on the transponder...right? In other words, the
connector itself will be a mirror of this diagram. That seems to be
confirmed by the teeny teeny numbering on the DB-25 supplied with the unit.

Follow the numbering on the connector, you won't go wrong. Doing this
will prevent the ineveitable reversals caused by confusion of
front/back view and male/female definitions.

Ron Wanttaja

BTW, I just bought a copy of your book on Amazon.
Old January 30th 04, 09:15 PM
TaxSrv

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote:

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie,

and I'd
just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

Hazard to human tissues is related also to time, which for an xponder
means duty cycle also. They xmit for 21 microseconds each time reply
light blinks. Even at 250W and at that distance, should be less
effect than a cell phone next to your head. See
http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/ for an RF Safety Calculator and
links to tech discussions.

I'm presuming the best
approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations,

and
solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each

connection,
too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

If the DB-25 pins are "solder cup" type, they work by merely by
inserting wire, heating pin cup, and let solder wick itself in. If
crimp-type, crimper is better, though for thin wires and if properly
secured, soldering I think is OK. Shrink tubing is good if solder
cup and thin wires for a little added anti-flexing of the wire. If
soldering to tabs with a hole in them, definitely shrink tubing if
connections are exposed to shorting by metallic FOD, which can find
its way there under Murphy's Law.

When the installation manual shows the pin assignments for the DB-25
connector, the assignments are as if I am looking directly at the

connector
on the transponder...right?

Any ambiguity here is easily checked with an ohmmeter set for at least
2K. Grounds of course will be common to the box. Ohmmeter between
+14V-in and ground will show a reaction between infinity and some
resistance when switched off/on. Usually see increasing resistance as
the ohmmeter charges a capacitor.

Fred F.

Old January 30th 04, 09:53 PM
Rich S.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote:

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie,
and I'd just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

Haven't I heard you complain about the lack of a heater in that plane? Just
think - you could have the first "Frybaby".

Rich "Can't hurt a dead man" S.

Old January 31st 04, 09:07 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 30 Jan 2004 09:56:58 -0800, (Jay) wrote:

I figured since you posted it in the newsgroup it was open to others
throwing out their 2 cents...

Jim prefers people post the questions rather than sending them by email...I
think he just likes whacking the occasional trolls who respond with weird
suggestions. :-)

But I do like getting a variety of responses, so don't mind exposing what
an ignoramus I am. :-)

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie, and I'd
just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

The jury is still out on what effects microwave radiation has on the
body (besides the obvious burns warned about in the HAM regs). I
think your intuition is correct and don't put the antenna right next
to your "junk" even though there is a null in the field moving out
from each end of the whip.

I'm facing the age-old conflict between access and performance. Installing
the antenna in the cockpit area is easy; putting it either far from the
transponder or well-separated from what Jim elegantly refers to "that ugly
bag of salt water in the seat" is where it gets tough.

The tail cone would be the best place, but I'm limited to inspection holes
in the bottom, 3" holes spaced ~3 feet apart. Using them to install an
antenna and ground plane would be about as painful as having a proctologist
implant a pacemaker.

Even using the sneaky route--installing the antenna *on* an inspection
plate--I'm still faced with having ~3' or so of unsecured cable running in
the midst of my elevator and rudder cables. Don't want to run the cable
unless I can get the cable tacked down, and I can't reach much of the
cable.

2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each connection,
too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

The best way to do these is use the good quality crimping machined
pins (not stamped) that insert into the connector one at a time. The
crimp tool is not cheap but maybe your EAA chapter has one in its tool
crib you can use.

A local friend pointed out where I can buy the crimp-on type connector, but
I'd have to run the trap lines to find the tool. Considering that my
airplane only gets ~40 hours a year and the cables are supported separately
by the shell, I probably will risk the solder-type connector.

3. I'm about 99.99999% sure about this, but with $1500 on the line, I'd
appreciate confirmation: When the installation manual shows the pin
assignments for the DB-25 connector, the assignments are as if I am looking
directly at the connector on the transponder...right? In other words, the
connector itself will be a mirror of this diagram. That seems to be
confirmed by the teeny teeny numbering on the DB-25 supplied with the unit.

Follow the numbering on the connector, you won't go wrong.

Easy for you youngsters to say...I could tell there were numbers there, but
wasn't completely sure what each one said. Amazing how a computer will go
down to 4 point text, yet they're able to put 2-point on a piece of
physical hardware. Guess I'll have to set up my solder station next to my
big magnifier/lamp combo.

Thanks for the info!

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 31st 04, 09:08 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:53:21 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote:

The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie,
and I'd just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

Haven't I heard you complain about the lack of a heater in that plane? Just
think - you could have the first "Frybaby".

But Rich, the end that sits in the bottom of the end is usually warm
anyway. I need more heat higher up. Maybe a helmet-mounted transponder
antenna? :-)

Ron "Bender" Wanttaja
Old January 31st 04, 02:19 PM
Kevin Horton

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:56:58 -0800, Jay wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message
. ..

2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each
connection, too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

The best way to do these is use the good quality crimping machined pins
(not stamped) that insert into the connector one at a time. The crimp
tool is not cheap but maybe your EAA chapter has one in its tool crib you
can use.

It's not cheap ($44), but I really like the pin crimping tool that B&C
Specialties sells. Bob Nuckolls recommends this tool. B&C sells good
quality machined pins too. I much prefer machined pins over soldering, as
I am much better at squeezing a set of handles than I am at trying to
solder small things.

http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-cata...9X358218#RCT-3
http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-cata...4X358218#s604p
--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old January 31st 04, 02:20 PM
GeorgeB

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:07:01 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Follow the numbering on the connector, you won't go wrong.

Easy for you youngsters to say...I could tell there were numbers there, but
wasn't completely sure what each one said. Amazing how a computer will go
down to 4 point text, yet they're able to put 2-point on a piece of
physical hardware. Guess I'll have to set up my solder station next to my
big magnifier/lamp combo.

Your only issue is identifying one pin on one end. They run 1-13 on
the "long" row, then 14-25 on the short row, with 1 and 14 on the same
end; 14 "between" 1 and 2.

Mark the pin 1 end with your wife's fingernail polish (not on the pin
itselfg) and all you have is a counting exercise.

You might want your magnifying glass to solder ... even with a good
iron, it is awfully easy to melt the ones you have completed ...
excersize care. A remelted joint has a nasty habit of becoming a
"cold" joint.

Yes, heat shrink each one ... and not shrinking while you are working
is a problem.

George

Old February 1st 04, 05:26 PM
Charlie England

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
[...]

If you don't play well with soldering irons and you can get past some
folks' aversion to using 'non-certified' stuff in their experimental
airplanes, try using a 'true bidirectional' parallel printer cable made
for your windows PC.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...ataNAme=PM1-6T

shows the pinout for this cable (IEEE 1284A) on page 7. Order the length
you need, cut off the printer connector (don't cut off the db25
connector;-))& split the wires to each destination as needed. ID the
pins & number the wires to match using your ohm meter.

Several folks have put the xp ant. under the engine inside the cowl, &
Iknow of at least one person that's used one in a wheel pant successfully.

If you don't fly IFR, you won't likely need to reach the radar with it
from further than 40 miles anyway so perfect ground plane mounting isn't
that big an issue.

Charlie

Old February 3rd 04, 03:24 AM
Jim Weir

Ron Wanttaja

-
-1. The instructions say not to install the antenna within one meter of the
-unit. What's the limiting factor here? I always prefer short cable runs,
-and had a nice spot picked out 15 or so inches away. What problems is a
-near-by antenna introducing?

I'll be darned if I know. The unit is hogged out of a solid aluminum block and
is about as well shielded as anything I've ever seen. Perhaps they are relying
on the loss of the cable to mitigate any reflections from the antenna? I just
don't know. Me? I wouldn't worry about it. Put it where you will and we'll
solve any problems through experimentation.

-
-The current antenna location is precisely 4 inches below my heinie, and I'd
-just as soon get it further away, thank'ee.

You mean you are planning on having more kids?

-
-2. The Microair uses a DB-25 connector. I haven't soldered onto a
-connector like this for about eighteen years. I'm presuming the best
-approach would be to tin the wires, slide them into their locations, and
-solder them in place? Should I be using shrink tubing on each connection,
-too? (the connector itself has a strain relief).

That's how I did it. Yes, tiny shrink on each one just is belt-and-suspenders
protection.

-
-3. I'm about 99.99999% sure about this, but with $1500 on the line, I'd
-appreciate confirmation: When the installation manual shows the pin
-assignments for the DB-25 connector, the assignments are as if I am looking
-directly at the connector on the transponder...right? In other words, the
-connector itself will be a mirror of this diagram. That seems to be
-confirmed by the teeny teeny numbering on the DB-25 supplied with the unit.

PROBABLY so, but I don't have a copy of the final manual. Microair manuals
leave as whole LOT to be desired. The preliminary manual I have supports your
contention, but ...

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

Transponder Question log Home Built 2 December 2nd 03 07:08 PM
transponder check? Russell Duffy Home Built 10 August 14th 03 11:36 PM