Biplane rigging question

Old January 5th 15, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Biplane rigging question

On Monday, February 5, 2001 7:59:03 AM UTC+11, Dick Ripper wrote:
I'm researching a personal project and have run across the following
statement which I don't understand and wonder if someone could explain it to
me:
"Most people don't know how to rig a biplane (I don't)
and this one is rigged a bit differently than most.
He designed the thing so that in LEVEL flight, you'd
be flying on the top wing ONLY, so as to give a
heavier wing loading".
I understand "heavier wing loading" but am at a loss on how the plane flies
only on one or the top wing due to rigging. I assume "rigging" is the
tension/compression loading of the flying wires and struts??

Thanks , Dick

It is fairly common for the built in angle of incidence of the top wings to exceed the bottom by half a degree or so to soften the stall. Rigging of the wings with struts and/or wires sets the dihedral (usually more on the bottom wings than the top) and, to a small degree, washout if specified. With the top wing commonly forward of the bottom wing, it is important that the top wing stalls before the bottom ensuring the aircraft pitches nose down. I am at the rigging stage of a biplane project at the moment so have done some homework on the subject, but I am certainly no expert on the subject! Cheers, Jeff Mackereth

Lak 12 rigging Colin Roney Soaring 6 September 14th 12 02:51 PM
Rigging Question Robert Fidler[_2_] Soaring 9 September 14th 10 09:34 PM
One-man rigging question Mike[_28_] Soaring 14 August 22nd 09 06:17 AM
Ka-6 Rigging vontresc Soaring 19 August 14th 08 04:55 AM
One man rigging Tom Nau Soaring 9 March 27th 08 05:28 PM