Good degreaser?

Old July 16th 03, 06:25 AM
pragmatist

Big John wrote in message . ..
Jim

115-145 octane (purple color) used in WWII aircraft would burn you
also. I've had a fuel tank, after sitting in hot sun, gush out when
opened to check fuel level and I had to go in and shower and put on a
new flight suit to prevent burns and blisters on my chest and arms.

The 115-145 also worked in Zippo lighters. When I pre-flighted and
checked tanks for water I held Zippo in stream. When just filled
would flame up 3-4 inches even in strong wind. G

I've also had one filled fresh, leak at altitude (no cockpit
pressurization in P-51) and burn by ankle/leg.

Don't think they make that stuff any more even on special order?

Big John

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:01:32 -0400, "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet wrote:

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
Laquer thinner rips off grease and oil faster than anything else. And
catches fire just about as fast as gasoline. And gets under your skin
and causes
b-b-b-brain duh-damage...

Dan

One time, I was visiting a small furniture factory, and the guy I went to
talk to came out of the plant and into the break room. I didn't notice that
he had a lacquer thinner soaked rag with him, and that he tossed it down on
the picnic bench.

You can see what is coming. I sat on it, unknowingly, and didn't realize it
until it had soaked through a relatively large area, and had wetted my thigh
down in the process.

I danced around, and tried to get the jeans away from my leg, but the damage
was done. I ended up having to go in the restroom and washing out the area
with soap and water, and my leg also.

Moral of the story: Don't get lacquer thinner on sensitive areas of your
body. It really burns! :-(

I once filled a motorcycle tank right up to the top, with cool gas on
a hot day.
When I hit the highway that cool gas expanded and came up to the top
of the tank and blew back. It felt cool at first.................
I now check the vent line for wasp larvae every so often.

Pragmatist.
Old July 16th 03, 07:46 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Morgans" wrote:

Moral of the story: Don't get lacquer thinner on sensitive areas of your
body. It really burns! :-(

Gee....
Who would have thunk you were a 'sensitive guy', too.

Barnyard BOb --

Old July 16th 03, 07:12 PM
Big John

Richard

It's probaby all Nitro with a touch of lead to stop detonation G

Maybe some of our 'oil' company types can explain how the 115-145 was
made in WWII? We called it 115-145 octane not some other name.

The Hurricane is gone and back to normal summer Wx here in Houston
(Thunderstorms and rain showers).

Big John

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:47:17 GMT, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:42:27 -0500, Big John
wrote:

:Jim
:
:115-145 octane (purple color) used in WWII aircraft would burn you
:also. I've had a fuel tank, after sitting in hot sun, gush out when
pened to check fuel level and I had to go in and shower and put on a
:new flight suit to prevent burns and blisters on my chest and arms.
:
:The 115-145 also worked in Zippo lighters. When I pre-flighted and
:checked tanks for water I held Zippo in stream. When just filled
:would flame up 3-4 inches even in strong wind. G
:
:I've also had one filled fresh, leak at altitude (no cockpit
ressurization in P-51) and burn by ankle/leg.
:
on't think they make that stuff any more even on special order?

They must have it at Reno, at least. And there's a small refinery
here in So Cal that sells racing fuel, I've heard of them doing up to
150 octane (I don't know how that's chemically possible, but that's
what they say)

Old July 16th 03, 09:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"Big John" wrote in message ...
Richard

It's probaby all Nitro with a touch of lead to stop detonation G

Maybe some of our 'oil' company types can explain how the 115-145 was
made in WWII? We called it 115-145 octane not some other name.

From the Wikipedia:

One interesting historical issue involving octane rating took place during WWII. Germany received the vast majority of
their oil from Romania, and set up huge distilling plants in Germany to produce petrol from it. In the US the oil was not
"as good" and the oil industry instead had to invest heavily in various expensive boosting systems. This turned out to
be a huge blessing in disguise. US industry was soon delivering fuels of ever-increasing octane ratings by adding more
of the boosting agents, with cost no longer a factor during wartime. By war's end their aviation fuel was commonly 130
to 150 octane, which could easily be put to use in existing engines to deliver much more power by increasing the
compression delivered by the superchargers. The Germans, relying entirely on "good" petrol, had no such industry,
and instead had to rely on ever-larger engines to deliver more power. The result is that British and US engines
consistently outperformed German ones during the war, playing no small part in the defeat of the Luftwaffe.

Old July 17th 03, 03:14 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Richard Riley wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:42:27 -0500, Big John
wrote:

:Jim
:
[...]

An octane "rating" of over 100 simply means that it has anti-knock
characteristics that are *better* than 100% octane. You graph the
knock resistance vs the % octane, and 'extrapolate the curve' right
of the 100% value. No big deal.

Old July 17th 03, 05:49 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:43:11 -0600, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

In the 1950's I saw a translated German report on the chemical analysis of
fuel from allied aircraft shot down over Germany. It referred to "high
levels of lead contamination from poorly make pipe joints in American
refineries". It appeared, at least from this report, that the Germans
completely failed to understand the implications of their lab tests and the
benefits of tetraethyl lead as an octane booster.

Bill Daniels

That just cracks me up Bill. For all their much vaunted and highly
admired military technology, the Germans continually shot themselves
in the foot during WWII. This is just one example. During the war,
the the British took incredible pains to prevent their airborn radar
technology from falling into the hands of the Germans so as to prevent
them from reverse engineering the same set and turning it against
them, or devising a homing device or warning device. Yet when the
centimetric radar actually DID end up in German hands when an
unfortunate airplane that had it went down, they completely
missunderstood how it worked and dismissed it.

From mid war on, German U-boats were harassed and sunk at increasingly
higher numbers by aircraft and the Germans appeared clueless as to why
this was happening.

It is said that the Germans never made small mistakes, they only made
big ones.

Corky Scott