Portable oxygen systems

Old August 8th 03, 05:00 PM
C J Campbell

Default Portable oxygen systems

I am thinking of getting a portable oxygen system to use on the 206 and
other aircraft that I fly. These hot summer days with high density altitudes
in Idaho and Wyoming leave me gasping. Maybe it is just age.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

For the Homeland!

Old August 8th 03, 05:52 PM
Ron Natalie

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
I am thinking of getting a portable oxygen system to use on the 206 and
other aircraft that I fly. These hot summer days with high density altitudes
in Idaho and Wyoming leave me gasping. Maybe it is just age.

Pressure altitude is all that matters by the way. It's the partial pressure
of O2 that controls the diffusion.

Nelson seems to make nicely portable systems. My mechanic had me
pick her up a 6.3 cu ft. system for her RV-4. It's really light. Of course
a tank that small only lasts a few hours on a charge... They have larger
ones.

Old August 8th 03, 07:00 PM
Stefan

Ron Natalie wrote:

a tank that small only lasts a few hours on a charge... They have larger
ones.

The currently most advanced system is EDS-D1 by Mountain High
http://www.mhoxygen.com/

It's very popular among glider pilots because its sophisticated
pulse-by-demand-functionality reduces the oxygen flow considerably. Just
put the cannula on and forget it. Not cheap, but worth the price.

Stefan
Old August 8th 03, 10:15 PM
Robert M. Gary

I enjoy my AirOx system. I would avoid SkyOx, its an ok cheapy system
but not good for a turbo pilot who needs a full system.

Old August 9th 03, 01:28 AM
jeff

I have a Sky-OX 15 CU ft. system with 4 cannuals, got it from aircraft spruce
for around 500$+
None of the oxygen systems are very cheap.

Old August 11th 03, 05:46 AM
Aloft

Check out www.aeromedix.com -- they've put together a few different portable
oxygen systems that don't seem to have the 100% aviation markup to them.
He's also got an interesting article on there about inflight oxygen use.

Old August 12th 03, 01:27 AM
Martin Hellman

Stefan "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch wrote in message ...
The currently most advanced system is EDS-D1 by Mountain High
http://www.mhoxygen.com/

It's very popular among glider pilots because its sophisticated
pulse-by-demand-functionality reduces the oxygen flow considerably. Just
put the cannula on and forget it. Not cheap, but worth the price.

I second Stefan's endorsement of the Mountain High system. I've been
using one for 8 years in two different motor gliders and really like
it. The self-adjusting O2 flow and the longer bottle time (probably at
least twice an oxymizer) are great.

One other point if you buy it: I debated buying the 12v power kit so I
wouldn't have to replace 9v batteries all the time. Well, "all the
time" is less than once a year. And that's usually just to play safe,
not because the battery wore out! So I'm glad I didn't waste the money
and extra complexity for the 12v power kit. And I use the system much
more heavily than the typical GA use since, to gliders, altitude is
like fuel to a power plane.

Martin
Old August 12th 03, 04:21 AM
Neal

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:00:52 +0200, Stefan "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch
wrote:

The currently most advanced system is EDS-D1 by Mountain High
http://www.mhoxygen.com/

Good Lord!

Take a look at this photo of a pair of Cubs on their website.

http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...prd_group_id=4

Kids, don't try that at home!
Old August 12th 03, 04:44 PM
Robert M. Gary

Good Lord!

Take a look at this photo of a pair of Cubs on their website.

http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...prd_group_id=4

Thats not an unusual bush pilot technique for short field landing. You
skim the water on the mains (the water is as hard as a rock when your
moving) and time your roll out so you hit the beach at the right time.
You can land on a beach with less than 100 feet of runway doing this.