CAI-302 and XCSoar

Old March 26th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default CAI-302 and XCSoar

I've noticed that XCSoar provides an Info Box for outside air temperature
but it is never displayed on my Android. Can someone tell me if OAT is
included in the data stream from the 302. It's really a pain to make 10
button pushes and 5 knob clicks just to get the temperature out of the 302.

Or point me at Cambridge's Data Dictionary. I've seen it but can't locate
it now.

Old March 27th 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Mar 26, 6:44*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I've noticed that XCSoar provides an Info Box for outside air temperature
but it is never displayed on my Android. *Can someone tell me if OAT is
included in the data stream from the 302. *It's really a pain to make 10
button pushes and 5 knob clicks just to get the temperature out of the 302.

Or point me at Cambridge's Data Dictionary. *I've seen it but can't locate
it now.

OAT isn't among the things that the 302 provides via nmea. You aren't
the only one to curse that oversight.

T8

Old March 27th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

I've never been able to figure out what the benefit would be from
knowing the outside air temperature. I've bought different computers
over the years that come with OAT sensors but I never bother to
install them because I can't see how they can make my glider go any
faster. I actually have built in sensors to tell me wether I'm cold
or not and there ain't much to do about that anyway. When I'm cold it
has as much to do with lack of sunshine as it does with air
temperature. So, what's the deal with OAT? Why does anyone care?
Why are these sensors being pushed on me?
Old March 27th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

When we fly wave in the fall, winter and/or late spring it is good know the OAT to be sure you follow the manufacturers recommendation for minimum temperatures for the gelcoat. Can also assist when descending to know how the OAT is warming.
Old March 27th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Mar 27, 3:19*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
I've never been able to figure out what the benefit would be from
knowing the outside air temperature. *I've bought different computers
over the years that come with OAT sensors but I never bother to
install them because I can't see how they can make my glider go any
faster. *I actually have built in sensors to tell me wether I'm cold
or not and there ain't much to do about that anyway. *When I'm cold it
has as much to do with lack of sunshine as it does with air
temperature. * So, what's the deal with OAT? *Why does anyone care?
Why are these sensors being pushed on me?

Wave (for a few reasons), early Spring thermal flying with water
ballast.

OAT is also used by the computer to sharpen up the TAS calculation (if
not present, it will use a standard atmospheric model) and this in
turn affects accuracy of calculated wind info.

T8

Old March 29th 12, 09:55 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koerner View Post
I've never been able to figure out what the benefit would be from
knowing the outside air temperature. I've bought different computers
over the years that come with OAT sensors but I never bother to
install them because I can't see how they can make my glider go any
faster. I actually have built in sensors to tell me wether I'm cold
or not and there ain't much to do about that anyway. When I'm cold it
has as much to do with lack of sunshine as it does with air
temperature. So, what's the deal with OAT? Why does anyone care?
Why are these sensors being pushed on me?
OAT is used to help establish TAS accurately which then helps make the final glide calculations more accurate.

I personally don't need my glides that well defined as I like to be fat dumb and happy when coming home :-)

Colin

xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 02:30 PM