Obtaining Flight Instructor Certificate

Old November 29th 03, 01:46 AM
Chris

Default Obtaining Flight Instructor Certificate

To obtain a flight instuctor certificate is it mandtory you have a
commercial certificate with instument privlages even if you will only be a
CFI teaching VFR only? or does the FAA require it regardless the wording in
part 61.183 was alittle unclear to me. Anyone who can clarify please do
thanks so much!

-Chris

Old November 29th 03, 01:56 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-11-28 17:46:59 -0800, "Chris" said:

To obtain a flight instuctor certificate is it mandtory you have a
commercial certificate with instument privlages even if you will only be a
CFI teaching VFR only?

For a flight instructor certificate with an airplane rating, you must have a commercial certificate with an instrument rating. If you're going for a helicopter CFI, you don't need the instrument rating.

Old November 29th 03, 02:15 AM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Fransson" wrote in message
For a flight instructor certificate with an airplane rating, you must have

a commercial certificate with an instrument rating. If you're going for a
helicopter CFI, you don't need the instrument rating.

I have to admit, I understand why Chris could not parse 61.183(c)(2). It
says a person needs "an instrument rating, OR privileges on that person's
pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating
sought".

If you're not trying to get qualified to instruct instrument flight, why
would you need an instrument rating, assuming you had all the other
necessary privileges on your pilot certificate? What does "privileges on
that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight
instructor rating sought" actually mean?

I'd never actually looked at this particular line that closely, and had
always assumed you are required to have an instrument rating to get a flight
instructor certificate. But now I don't see how the regulation specifically
says this (though I admit, the regulation is worded so oddly, I'm not really
sure what it DOES say ). The Part 61 FAQ seems to say that you DO need
an instrument rating, but does not clarify what the reasoning behind that
conclusion is. They seem to think the regulation is clear as written.

Pete

Old November 29th 03, 02:43 AM
Chris

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the "OR" in that regulation is
alittle wordy.

-Chris

Old November 29th 03, 02:43 AM
Chris

Thanks for clarifing

--Chris

Old November 29th 03, 04:18 AM
BTIZ

as I understand it.. a CFI without an Instrument rating on his Commercial
certificate will not be able to teach cross country or at night.

Commercial privileges are limited to 50nm and day time only if you don't
have a IFR rating.

Your "basic" student working towards the private is a "paying passenger" in
a commercial operation.

BT

Old November 29th 03, 05:48 AM
Larry Fransson

"BTIZ" wrote in message
as I understand it.. a CFI without an Instrument rating on his Commercial
certificate will not be able to teach cross country or at night.

Commercial privileges are limited to 50nm and day time only if you don't
have a IFR rating.

Your "basic" student working towards the private is a "paying passenger"

in
a commercial operation.

Just don't take that as gospel truth. He's incorrect on both counts.

Old November 29th 03, 05:56 AM
BTIZ

"BTIZ" wrote in message
as I understand it.. a CFI without an Instrument rating on his

Commercial
certificate will not be able to teach cross country or at night.

Commercial privileges are limited to 50nm and day time only if you

don't
have a IFR rating.

Your "basic" student working towards the private is a "paying

passenger"
in
a commercial operation.

Just don't take that as gospel truth. He's incorrect on both counts.

Please explain and give references other than making a statement.

(of course I did not back up my statment, but I am researching the Part61
FAQ file)

Bt

Old November 29th 03, 06:17 AM
Chris

Larry can you explain what is incorrect with BTIZ statement becasue I really
need to know if an instument rating is required or not to be a CFI the regs
were not exactly clear to me in this area.

Thanks
Chris