Getting through commercial airport security after obtaining a pilot cert

Old February 20th 04, 08:04 PM
SanDiego_Guy

Default Getting through commercial airport security after obtaining a pilot cert

I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced an increase in the
frequency of being selected for more thourough security searches when
flying commercially since obtaining a private pilot certificate.

I am not a paranoid person, and am not really bothered by it but... I
am well over 6 feet tall with blonde hair and have not changed my
travelling 'style' in the last 5 years. I fly about 6 times a year for
business, always round-trip, most of the time planned in advance.
Since obtaining my cert a while ago I seem to consistently get pulled
aside for more intensive screening. I am just curious to see if anyone
else has encountered this.

Old February 20th 04, 08:27 PM
Marco Leon

Not me. Maybe there's something in your clothing that keeps setting off the
[sometimes silent] alarm. Shoes maybe? I flew commercially out of
Washington/Dulles and the guy said I would get a secondary search if I chose
to keep my shoes on regardless of how "airport security friendly" they were.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 20th 04, 11:58 PM
Teacherjh

I get pulled aside all the time. Well, almost all the time. But it's probably
because I ask to have film and tape hand inspected rather than go through
devices that use X-rays and magnets. Especially at JFK and LGA, this draws a
crowd.

Jose

Old February 21st 04, 12:54 AM
John Harper

What do you mean by "more intensive screening"? Just being
patted down and wanded, or something more? The former happens
to me every time I travel, due to a shoulder prosthesis. Never had
anything more though.

John

Old February 21st 04, 07:07 AM
Michelle P

I get searched all the time and I go through the employee lines at
security. Yes I am an airline employee.
Pat down and the wand. Nothing to do with my pilots license.
I look really dangerous ;-)
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old February 21st 04, 12:56 PM
Martin Hotze

On 20 Feb 2004 11:04:26 -0800, SanDiego_Guy wrote:

I am well over 6 feet tall with blonde hair (...)

geee, are we on *that* road again?

For the Homeland!

#m

--
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990509
Old February 21st 04, 02:28 PM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:27:15 -0500, "Marco Leon"
mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

Not me. Maybe there's something in your clothing that keeps setting off the
[sometimes silent] alarm. Shoes maybe?

Wear sneakers. They don't have a steel shank.

My wife gets pulled over. I don't.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at