xcsoar

Old July 29th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default xcsoar

On Jul 28, 10:30*am, Brian Bange wrote:
Oddly (normal for me) I decided that with all the things I own that
will plug into a cigarette lighter, it made sense to me to mount a
cigarette lighter socket in my glider.

I tried that first, but found that the cigarette lighter socket that I
bought was not secure enough to trust in turbulence. I also didn't want
the USB wire bundled up and hanging off the instrument panel. So now
things are hard wired, bundled and behind the panel with only a few inches
of USB cable hanging out to plug the 310 into.

Brian

the latest release of XC Soar is out, as of today. I've loaded it on
to my iPAQ 310 and am giving it a go. Won't be able to fly with it for
a bit, but in the sim mode on the couch it looks pretty cool!

available he

www.bware.it/xcsoar

Brad
Old August 1st 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

On Jul 29, 12:42*pm, Brad wrote:
[...]

This is brilliant!!

I just bought an Ipaq 310 on ebay for $155 looking forward to loading
it up with this software.

New version looks amazing with the LK8000 look.

Cheers

Al

Old August 2nd 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Bamberg

On Aug 1, 11:40*am, Al wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:42*pm, Brad wrote:

[...]

Al- Hide quoted text -

I also recently bought an HP 310 on Ebay and just had an opportunity
to try the software during a power-plane flight today. Very nice!

Now I have to learn how to refine the settings for my needs and to
reduce the clutter a bit.

Mike
Old August 2nd 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 29, 3:42*pm, Brad wrote:
[...]

Hey Gang,

Looking at this as a possible solution for our Grob 103 syndicate.
Seems as though the XC Soar website is temporarily inop, so here's a
question. How do log files work when running XC Soar on a 310? I'm
assuming that the logging rate and other parameters are
configurable? What have been your experiences using the 310 as an
unapproved logger?

P3
Old August 2nd 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester[_2_]

Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:42 pm, Brad wrote:
the latest release of XC Soar is out, as of today. I've loaded it on
to myiPAQ310 and am giving it a go. Won't be able to fly with it for
a bit, but in the sim mode on the couch it looks pretty cool!

available he

www.bware.it/xcsoar

Brad

Hey Gang,

Looking at this as a possible solution for our Grob 103 syndicate.
Seems as though the XC Soar website is temporarily inop, so here's a
question. How do log files work when running XC Soar on a 310? I'm
assuming that the logging rate and other parameters are
configurable? What have been your experiences using the 310 as an
unapproved logger?

P3

P3 and gang,

I don't have the HP 310, instead a Nokia 500, but using the 5.2.3F-b4
version, which was the latest at the time, I recorded my Gold distance
flight on 5/17. Looking at that file, it appears to record every 2
seconds. Looking at the current version, a9, I see that the logging
rate is configurable from 1 to 8 seconds, with different settings being
possible for cruise and circling flight. Just for info purposes, this
flight of 3 hours 14 minutes took 230k bytes to store, and contained
6358 records.

It's a great program, and I don't know what else one could want. I'm
curious about the display brightness with the 310, however. Can anybody
provide any data for that?

Thanks,
Ed
Old August 2nd 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Aug 2, 7:11*am, Ed Winchester wrote:
Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:42 pm, Brad wrote:
[...]

Ed,
I once measured the brightness of the HP310/314 with a very good light
meter (I'm a lighting consultant and have very good light, UV, and
electrical meters) but I can't find where I wrote down the results. I
posted them here on RAS I think. Anyway the HP310 is much brighter
than the Ipaq 3970 I compared it to. I still don't think anyone could
fly in full sun and the terrain turned on and see it as well as they
would like, for that you need one of them big screens like an ultimate
or a clearnav. With white screen it works very nice.

Charging cables, an easy way to get one is to buy an APC UPC10 power
pack. Comes with a charger and cord, adds a couple of hours of flight
time and handy for keeping the iPhone charged up as well.

Here is the power draw information on the HP310/314:

glider battery at full charge delivering 12.5 volts to the car
adapter, screen on 100% bright.

If the IPAQ 310 is fully charged: .27A

If the IPAQ battery is dead, and therefore charging: .47A

This is about the same as the HP 4700.

the lesson: only fly with the IPAQ fully charged!

above measured with FLUKE 111 ampmeter.

My power budget:

Becker AR-4201 VHF Radio
Average load during flight 0.09

Transponder and Encoder 0.30

Borgelt B40 0.24

iPAQ 310 - charged 0.27

Total amps 0.89

With a 12AH battery in good shape I should get 8 to 12 hrs. depending
on temperature and battery condition. Most Transponders and encoders
will draw more power, mine are very efficient (I hope).

brian
Old August 10th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

PS...............I recently bought aniPAQ310and have gotten that to
work as well, only flew with it 1 time as a test and it seemed to work
fine.- Hide quoted text -

Hey all,

So, I picked up a used IPAQ 310 on eBay and am trying to get this
stuff sorted out. The unit I received shipped with the battery
almost completely depleted and the guy must have misplaced the special
face-plate for the charger/adapter. So, I'm working off the slower
charge from another mini-USB adapter until I can get the face plate.
This means that I haven't had a chance to really figure out a few of
the basics of loading the software. So far I have:

- Downloaded the version of XCSoar for CE 5.0
( XCSoarPPC2003X.ARMV4.5.2.4)
- Dumped this .CAB file onto an SD card
- Stuck the SD card into the IPAQ

In the few minutes of working time I got to glance at the 310 user
interface before it powered down, I didn't see any way to get directly
to the CE shell. Which begs the question "how do I install on the
310?"

Can anyone give me a preview of what to expect in terms of installing
once I get enough juice into this sucker to be able to work on it for
a while? The XCSoar Wiki just says to go to the CE File Explorer (or
whatever the equivalent is) and click on the .CAB file. Not having
played with CE, not sure what to expect.

TIA

P3
Old August 10th 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

On Aug 9, 5:18*pm, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Download this version....
http://www.bware.it/xcsoar/LK8000alfa9.zip

in the Zip package there is a PDF the explains all.
I got mine working but the 310 I got did not ship with a charger so I
am stuck as well with the trickle charge which is no good.

Running the LK8000 version today on an Ipaq 3900 I was impressed with
it for sure.
The 310 I will fly with once I get the Blue Tooth serial and the
charging stuff figured out.

Cheers

Al
Old August 10th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Aug 10, 2:07*am, Al wrote:
On Aug 9, 5:18*pm, Papa3 wrote:

Download this version....http://www.bware.it/xcsoar/LK8000alfa9.zip

in the Zip package there is a PDF the explains all.
I got mine working but the 310 I got did not ship with a charger so I
am stuck as well with the trickle charge which is no good.

Al- Hide quoted text -

Downloaded the recommended zip file, which included several different
executables but no PDF. The Readme file and history files aren't very
helpful in terms of "installation." After poking around a bit now
that the 310 has enough juice to at least let me navigate around the
system:

- Doesn't seem to be any way to access the CE shell directly.
- I copied the PNA executable onto my SD card in the root directory,
but the IPAQ doesn't seem to give me any way to access files on the SD
card (at least not that I could find after reading the skimpy manual
from HP)

I've got to believe there's a way to run the application from the SD
card (i.e. not requiring me to use ActiveSynch to configure and load),
but maybe I'm wrong.

If anyone has access to the instructions for making XCSoar work with a
310, I'd appreciate it.

P3

Old August 10th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Aug 10, 7:38*am, Papa3 wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:07*am, Al wrote:

On Aug 9, 5:18*pm, Papa3 wrote:

[...]

Put all the files from the latest PNA version into the root directory
of the SD card.

Insert the card into the PNA card slot

Reboot the PNA using the stylus, poking it into the restart hole just
below the mini-USB port

the 310 will boot into the shell

then select the SDMMC folder (you'll need glasses to see it!)

browse down to the SIM or the Flight .exe file and select it

that works for me.

Brad

HP310 and XCSoar Jim White[_3_] Soaring 2 January 14th 09 07:15 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar vs SoarPilot? Frank Soaring 0 December 16th 06 09:07 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 02:30 PM