What happened on this ILS approach?

Old July 25th 05, 09:52 PM
Peter R.

Default What happened on this ILS approach?

[repost due to a posting error reported by Newsfeeds - my apologies if
duplicates do, in fact, exist]

This morning I flew into Erie (KERI), a class D airport in northwest
Pennsylvania along Lake Erie. Weather was low IFR with 500 foot ceilings,
4 mile visibility, and winds out of the southwest. An ILS to runway 24 was
in use:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/00139I24.PDF

Initially I was cleared direct to the airport so I was approaching from the
east-northeast. About twenty miles out, approach began vectoring me for
the ILS. At that point, I was only cleared to descend to 3,200 feet.
Noting the various obstacles around the airport, I can see why the
controller couldn't allow me to descend lower.

About 1 mile from the localizer and about 7 miles from touchdown (an
estimate), approach turned me onto the localizer and told me to maintain
3,200 feet until established. Note the 2,228 ft GS intercept at the OM.

As ATC turned me to intercept the localizer I noticed that I was already
above the glideslope. Upon aligning with the localizer and still a mile or
two prior to the OM, the glideslope needle fell to to the bottom of the
scale. I began about a 750 fpm descent at about 100 kts to see if there
was any movement in the glideslope needle, but to no avail; it remained
pegged.

Thus, I declared a missed at about the OM and requested a second try,
stating that I was too high from the beginning.

Noting the chart, I see that the published approach either requires flying
to the NDB, then descending as one flies outbound to a PT, or fly a DME arc
at 3,200 ft and descending at the last portion of the arc. Both of these
methods appear to provide plenty of room to get established on the
localizer while remaining under the glideslope.

It *appears* to me that ATC probably should have vectored me further out to
intercept the localizer, given that I was already too high upon getting
established.

Nonetheless, this one really caught me off guard and I am wondering what I
could have done differently to prevent this scenario. When I briefed the
approach en route, I did note the 2,200 GS intercept and I do recall noting
a discrepancy between this and the 3,200 foot altitude at which I was
instructed to remain, but I certainly didn't act on this discrepancy (as
in, request lower while still outside the localizer, if even possible given
the obstacles).

Incidentally, during the second attempt ATC had me approaching the
localizer at a 90 degree angle from the northwest and didn't turn me until
just about on top of the localizer, which required a pass-through and
re-intercept on the other side. I realize that this tactic is used during
busy times to assist in spacing, but there were no other aircraft on the
approach.

Other than a special VFR aircraft somewhere nearby and an aircraft on the
ground at an uncontrolled airport looking for an IFR clearance, I don't
recall hearing any other activity on the frequency. However, these two
seemed to be receiving more controller attention that I received.

I am interested in other, more experienced instrument pilots' views on
this.

--
Peter

--
Peter

--
Peter

Old July 25th 05, 10:25 PM
Bob Gardner

As soon as you noticed that you were above the glideslope, you should have
so advised the controller and asked to be re-vectored for an intercept
further out. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Take charge.

Bob Gardner

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old July 25th 05, 11:53 PM
Michael

About 1 mile from the localizer and about 7 miles from touchdown (an
estimate), approach turned me onto the localizer and told me to maintain
3,200 feet until established. Note the 2,228 ft GS intercept at the OM.

As ATC turned me to intercept the localizer I noticed that I was already
above the glideslope. Upon aligning with the localizer and still a mile or
two prior to the OM, the glideslope needle fell to to the bottom of the
scale. I began about a 750 fpm descent at about 100 kts to see if there
was any movement in the glideslope needle, but to no avail; it remained
pegged.

Thus, I declared a missed at about the OM and requested a second try,
stating that I was too high from the beginning.

What you are describing is far from rare. Basically, it's a bad vector
- or a vector geared to the convenience of the controller rather than
the pilot. I actually got one similar to what you are describing on my
ATP checkride. I was vectored all over creation, in and out of cloud.
I was given an intercept that was too tight and WAY too high (the GS
needle was pegged down as I was cleared before the LOC even came off
the peg). However, because I had minimal workload and was monitoring
my GPS, I could see the bad vector/altitude situation developing, and I
adjusted the power/speed accordingly. In other words, I reduced power
and slowed WAY down so I could drop down quickly.

When the clearance came, I reduced power even further, dumped the nose,
and dove for the intercept altitude at 1000 fpm. I had almost 2000 ft
to lose. It was the only way to be stabilized on altitude and on
airspeed as I crossed the marker. Had I needed time to decide what to
do as I got the clearance, I would still have been fighting it at the
outer marker.

All I can suggest in such a situation is this - slow down so you can
descend at a steeper angle, and start your descent as soon as the LOC
comes off the peg (don't wait for it to center). Or just do what you
did - call the miss and ask for better vectors.

Incidentally, during the second attempt ATC had me approaching the
localizer at a 90 degree angle from the northwest and didn't turn me until
just about on top of the localizer, which required a pass-through and
re-intercept on the other side. I realize that this tactic is used during
busy times to assist in spacing, but there were no other aircraft on the
approach.

My personal worst was a 110 degree intercept (at my home base EYQ for
NDB). I know how it goes. I was the only one on the approach too.

****ty vectors are part of the game. It's one of the things
professional pilots bitch about - and it's also something they take
pride in being able to handle.

Michael

Old July 26th 05, 12:27 AM

Bob Gardner wrote:

As soon as you noticed that you were above the glideslope, you should have
so advised the controller and asked to be re-vectored for an intercept
further out. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Take charge.

I agree with Michael. It happens a whole lot. We used to call them "slam
dunks."

Old July 26th 05, 12:53 AM

The MVA to the left of the LOC (looking southwest) is 3200. On the other side, over
the lake, it is 2300. I presume you were being vectored from the left. The ATC
handbook requires the vector to intecept at not greater than a 30 degree angle and
below the G/S. In round numbers that would be an intercept point somewhat over 3
miles prior to WAILS.

That is what the book says. ;-)

Old July 26th 05, 01:01 AM
Mike Rapoport

Like others have said, it wasn't a great vector. When this happens, I
usually do what I have to do to get to the correct altitude at the OM and
just fly the approach.

Mike
MU-2

Old July 26th 05, 01:13 AM
Matt Whiting

Michael wrote:

[...]

And the examiner was OK with this? I could see them expecting you to
declare a missed at that point. I'm not an ATP so this really is a
question not a criticism. I guess I'd be wondering on a checkride which
course would be best to take.

Matt
Old July 26th 05, 01:30 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

Most examiners won't pass you on an ATP checkride unless you can make things
work. If you intercept an approach at 90deg for example, instead of a 90
deg turn outbound and then the proceedure turn, you make a 90 deg from the
FAF and parallel the outbound then make a 180. Making all the turns to
follow the line on the chart will exceeded the protected airspace in a fast
airplane.

Mike
MU-2.

Old July 26th 05, 08:58 AM
Steve Rubin

In article ,
Peter R. wrote:
It *appears* to me that ATC probably should have vectored me further out to
intercept the localizer, given that I was already too high upon getting
established.

I had almost this exact thing happen on the ILS 31 at SNS a few days ago. We
hassled the controller about it, and he didn't seem to understand what we were
complaining about.
--
Steve Rubin / AE6CH / http://www.altdb.net/
Email: / N6441C / http://www.tch.org/~ser/
Old July 26th 05, 01:43 PM
Peter R.

Michael wrote:

****ty vectors are part of the game. It's one of the things
professional pilots bitch about - and it's also something they take
pride in being able to handle.

Thank you, Michael. It continues to amaze me how little the instrument
training prepared me for the real world of IFR flying. There really is no
substitute for going out and flying in the system a lot.

--
Peter