TYVEK for Glider Cover

Old May 19th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarboy

Default TYVEK for Glider Cover

I am considering to replace the top surface of our glider cover with
TYVEK-RV. I am thinking to leave the white side out. Our current
covers really have discolored to brown and the skins have shrunk some.

Anyone have some TYVEK-experience when used as glider covers. I am
specifically worried about any interaction between the wing gel-coat
and the TYVEK, in the rain, in the sunshine and in the wind.
Thanks for any information and suggestions.
Heinz
Old May 25th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 19, 5:51*pm, soarboy wrote:
I am considering to replace the top surface of our glider cover with
TYVEK-RV. I am thinking to leave the white side out. Our current
covers really have discolored to brown and the skins have shrunk some.

Anyone have some TYVEK-experience when used as glider covers. I am
specifically worried about any interaction between the wing gel-coat
and the TYVEK, in the rain, in the sunshine and in the wind.
Thanks for any information and suggestions.
Heinz

Heinz: I have been researching Tyvek lately. It has a PH of 7,
therefore is chemically neutral. Tyvek soft cloth is water resistant,
blocks 98# of UV, is non abrasive, reflective and lowers the
temperature of what is covering more than any other fabric. It
breathes and will evaporate any moisture trapped under it. One of the
versions is coated by aluminum on one side and lowers the temperature
further than the white cloth. Let me know if I may help further.
Ted (race # TED) LS-4 owner.
Old May 25th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 5/24/2010 8:57 PM, wrote:
On May 19, 5:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

Several years ago, a pilot at Ephrata (Len Edvinson) replaced the outer
fabric on the top surface of his Jaxida covers. That worked well, as the
covers were OK except for the top outer piece, and was easy to do.

My wife made wing and tail covers for my ASH 26 E. She said the sewing
was easy. I use these as "sun covers" (along with a Ridge Sewing canopy
cover) to protect it during camps and contests, when I know I'll be
flying the next day, day after day. I don't know if they would be
suitable for parking the glider out during the entire soaring season,
but they are light weight and easy to use. I bought a 100 yard roll for
~$400, used less than a third of it for my glider, sold a third to
another pilot, and my wife sold the rest to other quilters in the area a
yard or two at a time!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old May 25th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

On May 19, 3:51*pm, soarboy wrote:
I am considering to replace the top surface of our glider cover with
TYVEK-RV. I am thinking to leave the white side out. Our current
covers really have discolored to brown and the skins have shrunk some.

Anyone have some TYVEK-experience when used as glider covers. I am
specifically worried about any interaction between the wing gel-coat
and the TYVEK, in the rain, in the sunshine and in the wind.
Thanks for any information and suggestions.
Heinz

I have made my own covers out of a car covering material called
Evolution/Block It
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/marine...ion/Block%20It

Works great and perhaps slightly more expensive than tyvek and has a 5
year waranty for
longevity in the sun and weather.

Biggest Issue I found with covers in the hot and windy southern
california climate is that the
material needs good tear resistance due to winds, protrusions and
sharp corners.

UV / temperature resistance is the next biggest factor, even on the
undersides as I used cheaper dacron
material for the undersides figuring no UV would get it and after a
year it shredded itself in the winds.

A soft inner surface is also important as I found that my car fabric
material buffeting in the wind essentially
polishes my wings constantly, which is nice, but another cover I used
on a different plance had some
metal aluminum eylets and discoloured and scratched the wings.

The Tyvek idea sounds interesting but I wonder if it will stand up
the the UV and flapping in the wind
without comming apart.

Another thing that is most important is you get a UV resistant and
very strong sewing thread.

I was thinking I might want to try fishing line of some sort as sewing
thread in the regular stores does not seem
to stand up well.

You will also find that a regular sewing maching will give you fits
but could be successful once you figure out
the right settings. I'm looking at a Harbor Frieght industrial sewing
machine to repair/replace the lower surface on my
covers along with some UV resistant thread.

Ray

Old May 25th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On May 25, 6:42*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/24/2010 8:57 PM, wrote:

On May 19, 5:51 pm, *wrote:

[...]

Eric, do you know exactly what material you used?

Heinz, Tyvek is something close to spun Olefin, which is close to what
our new tow ropes (the fishing net lines) are made of, and those are
wearing like iron.

And as a general observation, UV seems to have a lot of 'bounce' or
reflective quality. For example, when surveying an art display space
with a good UV meter, as you move deeper into the space and away from
exterior light sources it's typical to see the visible light fall off
faster than the UV. So you have to warn people, because they think
that you can judge the amount of potential UV from the amount of
daylight and that is misleading. I'm not surprised to hear about UV
reflecting onto and damaging shaded materials.

Brian

Sparrow Hawk Glider on the cover of Machine Design SF Soaring 6 June 12th 09 06:35 PM
W&W canopy cover? Gary Emerson Soaring 5 April 1st 08 07:19 AM
Cover thoughts B A R R Y[_2_] Owning 7 September 24th 07 04:33 AM
accy cover Tri-Pacer Home Built 0 December 21st 05 12:03 AM
Tyvek material for wing covers Eric Greenwell Soaring 2 October 18th 03 04:51 AM