HD Video from Region 9 Tucson contest May 14-15, 2010

Old May 23rd 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Default HD Video from Region 9 Tucson contest May 14-15, 2010

I flew down to El Tiro with my friend Warren to each take a day flying
with Garret in his Stemme during the Region 9 contest and had fun
taking a few hours worth of video footage both on the ground and in
the air. It was hard to edit it down to under 10 minutes! Everyone
at the contest was very friendly and great to talk to. It just
further goes to show how fun contests are and how friendly people are
in this sport.

Flying with Garret was a fantastic experience. He is a heck of a nice
guy and an amazing instructor in that he really lets you make mistakes
while you are flying with him so you can learn for yourself what he is
trying to teach you. Thanks again for taking time out of flying your
own contest Garret and sharing the contest experience and your
knowledge of soaring with others. Best of luck at the Worlds!

El Tiro is a pretty neat place. It is a huge complex with a great
clubhouse and facilities devoted to gliding out in the middle of the
Tucson desert and the soaring conditions were great. It was cool to
see that blue conditions could still hold monster thermals and produce
pretty fast days. I hope you guys down there hold another contest
because I will be bringing my 20B down there to play with you if you
do.

Again, it was great meeting so may pilots and putting a face to your
names and contest numbers! As always it was fun to see you Micki
and Charlie and I can't wait to see your new 28 Paul...bring her up
here to Utah soon.

Here is the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugSVYMfpwfw

Bruno - B4
http://www.youtube.com/user/bviv

Old May 24th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 23, 9:47*am, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Good work (as usual) Bruno!

I thought low pass contest finishes were a thing of the past?

MM
Old May 24th 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I thought low pass contest finishes were a thing of the past?

MM

Finishes at Region 9 South used the "standard" 1 mile/500' agl finish
cylinder.

Often followed by a skillfully flown Crew Appreciation Pass.

Highly valuable for maintaining Crew (and contest team) morale by
sharing some of the beauty of our sport!

Kirk
66

Old May 24th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 23, 9:57*pm, wrote:
On May 23, 9:47*am, Bruno wrote:

[...]

Kirk did a good job of describing the finish at R9S. Finish gates of
50 foot minimum are still allowed for FAI classes but can not be mixed
with any sports class contest.
Old May 24th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 24, 12:35*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
I thought low pass contest finishes were a thing of the past?

MM

Finishes at Region 9 South used the "standard" 1 mile/500' agl finish
cylinder.

Often followed by a skillfully flown Crew Appreciation Pass.

Highly valuable for maintaining Crew (and contest team) morale by
sharing some of the beauty of our sport!

Kirk
66

Occasionally- as much as once a day, one may need to do a compass
check to ensure accuracy. Runway headings seem to work well for this.
Starting with some good speed and 500 and a mile avoids low energy
events.
These are permitted by the rules, subject to local situations.
Mifflin permitted compass checks which were appreciated by many.
UH
Old May 24th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 23, 7:47*am, Bruno wrote:
I flew down to El Tiro with my friend Warren to each take a day flying
with Garret in his Stemme during the Region 9 contest and had fun
taking a few hours worth of video footage both on the ground and in
the air. *

Nice video thanks for sharing. I looked for my ASW-28 in the thermal
shots but the only glider I recognized was TS1.

I noticed that the 302 was very active. Is this a result of the Stemme
installation or does Garret chose to fly with a short time constant?
I like settings of 1.7 audio and 2.3 for the indicator.

Andy (GY)

Old May 24th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

I noticed that the 302 was very active. Is this a result of the Stemme
installation or does Garret chose to fly with a short time constant?
I like settings of 1.7 audio and 2.3 for the indicator.

Andy (GY)

Based on the vario reaction during the pull-up at the finish, it
doesn't appear to have total energy compensation dialed in correctly.
Old May 24th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I noticed the busy 302 needle too -- looked just like the previous
302s I've owned before the TE compensation was set correctly.
Old May 24th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On May 23, 7:47*am, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Bruno:

Great video. As you noted, we have a great cross-country site - TUSC
is now in 4th place on the World OLC.

The contest was a lot of fun and we tentatively plan the same next
year.

Mike