Spar gluing

Old November 21st 03, 06:37 AM
Morgans

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

I have read that Doug Fir is uniquely stable among woods in
that it expands and contracts equally in both the radial and
circumferential directions and so it is the only wood commonly
sold as dimensional lumber while still green (others will usually
be kiln dried to 12 % MC) However, I have seen Doug Fir boards
cup and uncup with variations in humidity, indicating to me
that this is not true.

--

FF

Indeed, it is not true.

See http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/woo...dbook/Ch01.pdf for all you
ever wanted to know about wood, and more.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 21st 03, 02:03 PM
Big John

BOb

You got to remember that your panels are basically supported by the
glue in a shear situation. Even kids white glue will do pretty good in
shear.

When you put things in peal you get a different result so don't lead
the neophytes astray.

Bob, you got to remember that some of the young'uns don't have any
experience with the hot hide glues like they used to build the
'Jennys' G

Big John

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:21:18 -0600, - Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

"Lou Parker" piped up:

Anyone know of any downfalls to using liquid nails to glue spars together?
And yes, I expect the usual ignorant smart asses, who really don't have an

answer.
Lou

I built a bird feeder with liquid nails. It lasted six months and then fell
apart.

Rich "ISA" S.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

I used only Liquid Nails and a smile.....
to hold 2 x 4 foot sheet styrofoam panels of
insulation to my raw concrete basement walls.
None of it rests on the floor for support.

No idea how long it will stay glued.......
it's only been up 20 years to date without
a single panel coming loose.

Barnyard BOb -- well known smart, smart ass.

Old November 21st 03, 03:16 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:23:23 -0600, - Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

I suggest that you only rely on something that
a siginifacnt number of other folks have used
and survived. Learn from other people's mistakes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You've got my vote, Fred.

However, there is a core of wannabees hell bent on
re-inventing the wheel in some ridiculous manner, at
least with their keyboards most every day - all under the
guise of *EXPERIMENTING*. Anyone that poo-poos
their nutty notions without great care are labeled as
anti-experimenters or worse and are subject to very
hostile and denigrating attacks. You know the drill...

KILL THE MESSENGER

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Was this necessary?

Corky Scott

Old November 21st 03, 04:03 PM
- Barnyard BOb -

BOb

You got to remember that your panels are basically supported by the
glue in a shear situation. Even kids white glue will do pretty good in
shear.

When you put things in peal you get a different result so don't lead
the neophytes astray.

Bob, you got to remember that some of the young'uns don't have any
experience with the hot hide glues like they used to build the
'Jennys' G

Big John

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heavens to Betsy, alpha dawg:

When I tell neophytes to stay the hell away from
auto conversions in the strongest terms known
to man and beast....who takes me seriously?
The neophytes?
HELL NO - I get roasted, toasted, sliced and diced.

When I post lite hearted tongue in cheek horse****,
what do I get? Yep... your post.

Can't win. g

P.S.
Outta' time. Gotta' go now....
and test fly my 300 mph Crazy Glue & Styrofoam special.
I'm having issues with the GM locomotive 2 stroke diesel.

P.P.S.
eBay Brooklyn Bridge reserve still not met

Barnyard BOb -- Union Pacific RR - tired and retired

Old November 21st 03, 05:25 PM
AL

It was BOb. Why be necessary?

Al Mills

Old November 21st 03, 07:57 PM
Big John

BOb

Guess 'hot glue' was really before your time? (tongue in cheek) G

I expected a dissertation on it and its properties and uses on
aircraft.

And here's an Irish toast to thee.

Always remember to forget
the friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember
those that have stuck by you...

Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
the BLESSINGS that come each day...

May the Lord keep you in His hand
and never close His fist too tight...

HERE'S TO A HAPPY & SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON!
STARTING WITH THANKSGIVING

Big John

Old November 21st 03, 08:29 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:25:03 -0600, "AL" wrote:

It was BOb. Why be necessary?

Al Mills

He posts stuff like that and then wonders why people get irritated
over things he posts. Actually complains about it here in this very
group.

Corky Scott