Seems like "Enola Gay" was caught in a revisionist storm... AGAIN!!

Old November 9th 03, 10:01 AM
John Mullen

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
om...
ost (Chris Mark) wrote in message

rom: brooksvmi

*entymology*!).

What is that? I've never heard of it

John

Old November 9th 03, 02:49 PM
Chris Manteuffel

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Chris, since you hang around NASM a lot, do you have any feeling for
when I should visit Udvar-Hazy? It's open to the public on Dec 15.
Would the 16th be a reasonable day, or am I going to be trampled?

I honestly not sure yet whether to go on the 16th or not. I'm betting
that the 17th is going to be worse then the 15th- being the Centenary
of Flight and all, I think that the 17th probably will be the worst
day in Udvar-Hazy center history (in terms of crowds). But I'm not
sure about the 16th. I probably will end visiting it that day, but I'm
an impatient fellow.

I think it will depend a lot on how effective the crowd control works
in the building (and how big the parking lot is, for that matter). If
the curators aren't worrying very much about crowd control, trusting
to the size of the building then it could be a bad day (even a
building longer then three football fields can get crowded). If they
are worrying about it and putting effort into it, and their system
works, it hopefully won't be that bad.

Chris Manteuffel
Old November 9th 03, 04:40 PM
Chris Mark

From: brooksvmi

Any examples?

The gent mentioned

I wasn't going to reply, but your response does exemplify the weakness of many
posts. I asked a genuine question and the response was "the gent mentioned,"
which suggested to me that you weren't familiar enough with Gar Alperovitz to
remember his name and how to spell it. Not convincing. I would have enjoyed a
discussion of Alperovitz's contentions, which he's been pushing for at least 20
years, his world view, and even a discussion of his overall qualifications.
Not to be, obviously.

Then you mentioned, without giving his name, a poster. Even less convincing.

you'd know who I was referring to.

I don't. Who? And why not mention him in the first place?

Don't try to
impress me with the abilities of our oh-so-impressed-with-themselves
academia crowd.

Who is trying to do that? I merely asked you if you had any examples to
illustrate your claim that, "all evidence currently indicates it [U of Md] is a
veritable hotbed of professors who enjoy exaggerating their "expertise" into
whatever
field they so choose at that moment."
I though perhaps I had missed some enjoyably egregious example of academic
buffoonery. Apparently not, as the response is first cryptic (a sure sign of
ignorance) and then a taxicab driver rant. I was hoping for better.

It's at least as worthy of mention as, say, the University of
Antwerp.

Mountain, meet mole-hill...

If you don't pick up on the routine disparaging of American universities by a
certain type of European, and don't consider it worth remarking on, as I said,
my point has been lost.

BTW, I do find it ironic that the University of Maryland has been dragged into
this thread in the way that it has, considering the institution's long-standing
program of providing accredited college courses at military installations
throughout the world.

Chris Mark
Old November 9th 03, 07:00 PM
Tex Houston

"John Keeney" wrote in message
Ed, THE Air Force Museum is truly a sight to behold.
I haven't been for a couple of years (maybe next week), but in the then
latest building you went in and looked off in the distance to the right
to see the Globe Master and B-18. Off in the distance to the left, the
F-117,
a 'Nam vet' B-52 up on a display stand and a Dagger. Above you hung
many a quaint and curious relics of the "X-" age and Observation types.
But from that vantage point in that brightly lit, open room you couldn't
see the XB-70, the Blackbird, X-15, B-57, B-58, MH-47 or the not
insignificant displays of 90 and Century series fighters.

Some of the birds you mention can be seen by signing up for a bus trip to
the annex on the base, (basically the presidential aircraft in one area the
research aircraft in another). Ask about the signup at the information
desk. Get there early as many days the open slots are quickly filled.

Tex

Old November 9th 03, 08:25 PM
Kevin Brooks

"John Mullen" wrote in message ...
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
om...
ost (Chris Mark) wrote in message

rom: brooksvmi

*entymology*!).

What is that? I've never heard of it

How about entomology?

John

Old November 9th 03, 08:39 PM
John Mullen

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
om...
"John Mullen" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
om...
ost (Chris Mark) wrote in message

rom: brooksvmi

*entymology*!).

What is that? I've never heard of it

How about entomology?

Insects?

John

Old November 9th 03, 09:32 PM
Gerdeus

There's no descendant of the P-59A. But every airliner that flies,
with its engines hung in pods beneath the wings, owes something to the
Me-262.

Not true. Just like every airliner that flies with the engines embedded
inside the wings or fuselage does not owe something to the Yak 15 or P-80.

Gerd
Old November 9th 03, 09:57 PM
Leslie Swartz

1962 . . . the museum is a *whole lot* bigger now!!!

They just opened another large annex (4xB-52 sized) this summer.

Lot's of ww-Nam era retirees around here Ed . . . should be no problem
selling the book!!!

Steve Swartz

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 17:49:28 -0500, "Leslie Swartz"
wrote:

Ed:

Come visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. Much better- more
complete, more exhibits, no political B.S. Plan on spending at least 2.5
days to cover it all. That will allow you about 5 minutes per exhibit.

The "National Air and Space [sic] Museum" is about on par with that of

any
typical western country; i.e., it sucks.

Steve Swartz

Funny you should mention that. I was at Columbus OH this week, doing a
presentation and book signing at the Columbus Metro Library (a
beautiful facility, I might add.)

Some folks were there who indicated that they had attended a number of
presentations at the AF Museum and indicating that I was able to keep
more folks awake than some speakers they had seen. They indicated they
might propose to the folks at Dayton that they invite me.

Last time I was at W-P to visit the AF Museum, most of it was parked
outside. That would have been around 1962!

Old November 9th 03, 09:58 PM
Leslie Swartz

Think he meant *etymology*

Old November 10th 03, 01:24 AM
Kevin Brooks

From: brooksvmi

Any examples?

The gent mentioned

I wasn't going to reply, but your response does exemplify the weakness of many
posts. I asked a genuine question and the response was "the gent mentioned,"
which suggested to me that you weren't familiar enough with Gar Alperovitz to
remember his name and how to spell it. Not convincing. I would have enjoyed a
discussion of Alperovitz's contentions, which he's been pushing for at least 20
years, his world view, and even a discussion of his overall qualifications.
Not to be, obviously.

Your question was in regards to the applicability of the statement
that the U of M has exemplified the trait of academics writ large to
consider themselves experts far beyond their narrow specializations.
Your response was tagged to another message in the thread, so even
finding it in the first place was a bit difficult.

Then you mentioned, without giving his name, a poster. Even less convincing.

OK, here is another hint--he is renowned for his poor grammar and
typing, to the point of even misspelling his own name.

you'd know who I was referring to.

I don't. Who? And why not mention him in the first place?

Does Vkince ring a bell?

Don't try to
impress me with the abilities of our oh-so-impressed-with-themselves
academia crowd.

Who is trying to do that? I merely asked you if you had any examples to
illustrate your claim that, "all evidence currently indicates it [U of Md] is a
veritable hotbed of professors who enjoy exaggerating their "expertise" into
whatever
field they so choose at that moment."
I though perhaps I had missed some enjoyably egregious example of academic
buffoonery. Apparently not, as the response is first cryptic (a sure sign of
ignorance)

Considering that you are having some difficulty in even getting your
about hurling claims of "ignorance". Do you have some innate
shortcoming that requires you to get personal at this early point in
an exchange?

and then a taxicab driver rant. I was hoping for better.

It's at least as worthy of mention as, say, the University of
Antwerp.

Mountain, meet mole-hill...

If you don't pick up on the routine disparaging of American universities by a
certain type of European, and don't consider it worth remarking on, as I said,
my point has been lost.

You have *really* drawn this far beyond the level that it deserves.

BTW, I do find it ironic that the University of Maryland has been dragged into
this thread in the way that it has, considering the institution's long-standing
program of providing accredited college courses at military installations
throughout the world.

Whoopie.

Brooks

Chris Mark