Color Me Annoyed

Old February 9th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Color Me Annoyed

Scott wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but...if you hold a private certificate,
flying an SLSA doesn't restrict you to light sport piloting rules, does it?

No.

If the plane's equipped and able, why not fly high at night?

Why not indeed.

IIRC there's at least one IFR equipped SLSA out there.

And more coming.

Old February 9th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 5, 9:00*am, Denny wrote:
Well, The Kid just called at 10:45 AM... The jugs are off and the
bottom end looks good... The cam is clean... *Looks like a top
overhaul only (whoo hoo).. *He brightened up when I said lets just do
a top, figuring he would have it buttoned up by Friday... I have the
new Lycoming cylinder kits out in the truck to deliver to him...
So, then I dropped on him that I also want fresh donuts on both motor
mounts and a new crank seal - that caused him to hesitate... He can
see his February schedule going to pot anyway... *I'll wait until
tomorrow to bring up the new hydraulic hoses for the landing gear...

Ya know, after all these little things that are going to screw up his
schedule I can now see why the "other" mechanic dumped you....
IMHO
Old February 9th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Ya know, after all these little things that are going to screw up his
schedule I can now see why the "other" mechanic dumped you....
IMHO

Yep.

Honesty is the best policy, IMHO. If you want all of those things done, you
should be up front about it.

You want people to be up front with you, you need to be up front with them.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 9th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Alan[_6_]

In article 47acf2c9.84197893@localhost (Scott) writes:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:45:58 +0000 (UTC), in rec.aviation.owning,
(Alan) wrote:

In article Denny writes:
LSA is a partial answer - and might be in my future as I continue to
age (hopefully, I will continue to)

Prebuilt S-LSA might be an answer, though one has to do a 120 hour
class to be able to inspect/maintain one of them (and you will still
need the tools and space to do it). Even so, the price of the S-LSA
is pretty substantial as well.

As one who enjoys night flight, and likes to do cross-country a
little above 10,000 feet, LSA doesn't look like it really cuts it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but...if you hold a private certificate,
flying an SLSA doesn't restrict you to light sport piloting rules, does it?
If the plane's equipped and able, why not fly high at night?

I was unclear. It is only occasionally night AND high altitude, more
often it is night OR high altitude; not that it matters for this discussion.

It appears that one can then fly at night with a private (with a medical).
Without a medical, it appears much muddier. What can a private pilot
without a current medical do in an LSA that a sport pilot cannot?

The plane and all of its components (including the engine) must be certified
for that as well. It appears that the common versions of the Rotax engine are
prohibited from night or IFR use by the instructions from Rotax.

Reference:
http://www.sportpilot.org/news/051013_ifr.html -which may be out
of date.

IIRC there's at least one IFR equipped SLSA out there.

Sounds like fun. I wonder how much system redundancy (such as dual electric)
he was able to put in.

Alan
Old February 9th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Alan" wrote

It appears that one can then fly at night with a private (with a
medical).
Without a medical, it appears much muddier.

It isn't muddy in the least bit. Without a medical, a private holder is a
light sport pilot. That's all. That means NO night flight, period. At
least not legal, that is.

What can a private pilot
without a current medical do in an LSA that a sport pilot cannot?

Not a durn thing, 'cause he is a sport pilot, the second his medical is out
of date, as long as his medical was not turned down, denied, or how ever
else you want to say it.

The plane and all of its components (including the engine) must be
certified
for that as well. It appears that the common versions of the Rotax engine
are
prohibited from night or IFR use by the instructions from Rotax.

True, the plane must be equipped for night flight, but most that were
designed as an original European microlight are. I won't say real airplane,
but if it has a real fuselage, and was not originally made as a US
ultralight, chances are that it is OK for night flight. As to what a
"common" Rotax is, you got me guessing. The Rotax 4-strokes are available
certified or not, but the only visible difference is the letter in the name,
and how much documentation comes with the engine, and of course, the cost.

But again, you 'gotta have the medical to fly at night. Cut and dry.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 9th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Ummm, actually The Kid is 'quite' happy to have the business...

I am always reasonable, I actually know a bunch about my machine, I
don't whine when something needs fixing ( I'm the one saying, "well,
let's fix it anyway instead of waiting"), I understand that these mom
and pop shops usually live from hand to mouth so I front them a big
chunk what I estimate the final bill is going to be - in cash and
without being asked - and I expect to pay the rest of the bill in full
when I pick up my plane...

In return, I expect to have my plane be #1 on their job list, to keep
me informed of progress, and be happy to perform the repairs and
services I ask for... My last mechanic worked for me for 17 years so
I cannot be that bad...

The owner of the 172 that is waiting the annual is perfectly happy
flying his brand, spanking, new 260hp Maule...
BTW, if anyone is in the market for a really well equipped glass
screen IFR, 180hp SkyHawk, let me know and I'll put you in touch with
him...

denny
Old February 9th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

"B A R R Y" wrote in message ...
AFAIK, there is no separate "certification" for an airplane for IFR,
over 10,000 ft., or night flight, as long as the aircraft meets the
standards stated in Part 91.

Assuming you mean LSAs:
My understanding of the "rules" are that the LSA must be operated within the
limits of the manufacturer's operating manual. The manufactuer does not need
to "grant" privilages, but if it prohibits operations then that's the end.
Also if any component installed by the manufacturer prohibits IFR ops then
the manufacturer must accept that under the ASTM guidelines and thereby
limit the LSA to non IFR. Naturally the FAR part 91 minimum equipment rules
still apply.

Old February 9th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

"Alan" wrote in message ...
The plane and all of its components (including the engine) must
be certified for that as well. It appears that the common versions
of the Rotax engine are prohibited from night or IFR use by the
instructions from Rotax.

I spoke with Phil Lockwook (generally considered the goto guy when it
involves Rotax) at Hartford Expo about the Rotax's night VFR prohibitions
published in their online engine manuals. He surprised me with a claim that
Rotax had recently lifted that night VFR prohibition on their 912 series
engines (I only asked about the 100hp, I didn't ask about the 912 80hp), and
he also mentioned that it may retro back to a specific earlier serial
number. I did not follow this up for written confirmation, but it may be of
interest for you.

Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:02 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:00 PM
More with color [email protected] Soaring 3 February 7th 07 09:18 PM