IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Old September 21st 04, 12:15 AM
Karen Johnson

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down.

They appear to were just have been tied down?

Try "They appear to have merely been tied down"--that is, no heroic
measures such as being mounted on plyons. The poster could have been
tired, or he could have been educated in an American public school in
the past thirty years.

(Actually, I seem to recall a Hornet? or two being pylon-mounted in a
near-vertical climb at the museum.)

As it does for Al (Old Hoodoo), this news breaks my heart, because
after six years the Finnish Brewster Buffalo safely arrived at
Pensacola barely four weeks ago. I hope it survived the blow and the
rain all right, and I hope that the damage to the museum won't delay
my chances of viewing the airplane into a seventh year!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com

Hello Everyone:

This is my very first post to a news group. (Please forgive any
mistakes in posting.) I have been reading this group because I am an
"airplane nut," a Blue Angels fan, and have great respect for the
military. (Thank you to all of you who serve(d) our country.)

I feel compelled to post now to express best wishes for the folks at
NAS Pensacola and the NMNA as they recover from Hurricane Ivan damage.
I first visited both when I attended the Blue Angels homecoming last
November. I fell in love with Pensacola and even joined the museum.
Like all of you, through Google searches, I am searching for
information. I just read that the BA intend to perform at Salinas and
Miramar. I called Miramar last Friday and a lady told me they have
heard nothing about the possibility of the team cancelling. I am
looking forward to attending the Miramar show next month. Also, an
article says the BA are moving their base to New Orleans (I presume
NAS JRB NO at Belle Chasse. I called NAS JRB NO to verify, but it was
after 4:00, so no one answered.)I hope they can fly the New Orleans
show scheduled for Oct. 23-24, because I plan to bring my 3 year old
great nephew, who I am already training to love airplanes and the
Blues. One must raise up these children right!

Best wishes to all--Karen
Old September 21st 04, 12:50 AM
Krztalizer

Hello, Karen. Welcome to this newsgroup - I hope you and your kids can get
something positive from it. As for the MCAS Miramar Airshow, the BA are
definitely still coming - its on advertisements and all the literature here in
San Diego: we couldn't survive without a Blue Angels show once a year!

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old September 21st 04, 04:38 AM
old hoodoo

In Victoria Texas. However the F-101 just got moved this summer to
Missouri after being here ten years. Bummer. I will never again dealt
with City politicians. They have been on a crusade to get rid of all
historical artifacts in the City. Lost a great Locomotive engine a
couple of years ago. I'm moving eventually, historically speaking, this
town sucks.

Al

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article , old hoodoo
wrote:

Here in Victoria we had an F-101 that when we got it, we prepared pads
and metal supports to secure it and get the tires off the ground. Not a
particularly difficult or expensive task.

Victoria where? And where in that Victoria is it located?

-john-

Old September 21st 04, 04:57 AM
old hoodoo

Karen:

Let me guess...you are/were a teacher. :-)

Yes, I was tired, but that is not an excuse. I think I made the error
when editing. I try to get it right, but now and again these one and
1/2 eyes of mine miss details, especially in the proofing department. Of
course, on newsgroups, grammar is not a top priority, as we have many
people from many different educational levels and languages posting here
with often important and fun things to say. Content is what matters,
not which fork one uses. Wait till you read something written by a Finn
or a Frenchman....please don't criticize their grammar, they write our
language better than we can do theirs and they often have a lot of good
things to say. Don't discourage them....or me..please!

That said, I will try to be a little more careful when I write.

Al ("Old Hoodoo" tbe nickname of the predreadnought USS Texas)

Old September 21st 04, 05:04 AM
Lynn in StLou

old hoodoo wrote:
In Victoria Texas. However the F-101 just got moved this summer to
Missouri after being here ten years. Bummer. I will never again dealt
with City politicians. They have been on a crusade to get rid of all
historical artifacts in the City. Lost a great Locomotive engine a
couple of years ago. I'm moving eventually, historically speaking, this
town sucks.

Al

Really? To where in MO? There is an F-101 at
Spirit of St Louis Airport, but that has been
there several years. Am not familiar with any
other locations here in the Show Me state.

Thanks

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply
Old September 21st 04, 05:11 AM
old hoodoo

Geez. One little grammatical mistake and I am keel-hauled.

Al

Andrew C. Toppan wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:17 -0500, old hoodoo
wrote:

Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down.

They appear to were just have been tied down?

Huh?

Random verbs?

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old September 21st 04, 05:14 AM
old hoodoo

Did it again. Please replace "dealt" with "deal".

I quit.

old hoodoo wrote:

In Victoria Texas. However the F-101 just got moved this summer to
Missouri after being here ten years. Bummer. I will never again dealt
with City politicians. They have been on a crusade to get rid of all
historical artifacts in the City. Lost a great Locomotive engine a
couple of years ago. I'm moving eventually, historically speaking, this
town sucks.

Al

Old September 21st 04, 06:37 AM
Jake Donovan

A majority of base roads are impassable.
Generator power to selected buildings only
Reported damage to every building on station - 90% of buildings have
suffered "significant" damage.
Currently no power - no water - no sewage.
Sporadic gas leaks exist all over the base.
Phone landlines restored on limited capability this morning
Internet connectivity/Navy.mil website still down. ETR sometime Sunday or
Monday.
Base Public Affairs Office destroyed (National Historic Building) - photo
lab destroyed.
Naval Air Technical Training Center was completely under water
Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum structure held up. S-3 President Bush
flew aboard USS Abraham Lincoln is intact and undamaged.

Coast Guard station reported destroyed
Air Station Cemetery intact
Approximately 10% of power lines are down - conservative estimate.
Runways are capable - Air Control tower structure ok - Radar is down

Blue Angels
All Blue Angels operations are on hold Scheduled show this weekend in
Nantucket is canceled. Every member of Blue Angels reporting damage to
their homes - currently
working on return plan to Pensacola. May base out of New Orleans for the
rest of season. All shows for the next week are on hold

NAS Whiting Field
Every hangar at Whiting is missing its roof.
Aircraft damage in hangars is suspected. Full BDA still ongoing.
No one other than emergency personnel are allowed on base
Two-thirds of all primary air training is held at NAS Whiting
Primary and helicopter training held at NAS Whiting completely down for
approximately two weeks.

Old September 21st 04, 10:22 PM
Karen Johnson

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message news:p6P3d.52316$9Y5.33484@fed1read02...
[...]

Great News!

I just read an online article from the Miama Herald that says the
museum fared very well. "There was minimum damage," said retired Vice
Adm. Jack Fetterman, president and CEO of the Naval Aviation Museum
Foundation. "The museum is in great shape." The article continues: "He
said only two of about 70 planes displayed outside on the flight line
at Pensacola Naval Air Station were damaged. Aircraft inside the
museum and a restoration building were unharmed. Other than some water
penetration near the entrance, the museum itself is fine, Fetterman
said."

Also: "We could be up for visitors within a week and a half to two
weeks," Fetterman said.

This is certainly a relief. I am still trying to reach NAS JRB NO to
confirm if the Blue Angels are temporarily moving their base there.

Best--Karen
Old September 21st 04, 10:35 PM
Karen Johnson

old hoodoo wrote in message ...
Karen:

Let me guess...you are/were a teacher. :-)

Hello Old Hoodoo:

My career has been in the space program (Shuttle). I did do some
substitute teaching while finishing a graduate degree. My current(NASA
related)job includes, among many other things, educational and public
outreach. I have just always loved airplanes and spaceships. My idea
of a great vacation is to visit an aviation museum or air show, and my
current job has afforded me the opportunity to do a lot of that. Best
- Karen