??Build rolling tool chest?

Old January 24th 05, 06:17 AM

On other thing to do is check with you local Snap-On and MAC tool guy.
Virtually all of the dealers take tool boxes in on trade on new ones.
Every so often the district they work out of has a sale of all the
used one. Sometimes it's widely published and sometimes it's a
word-of-mouth thing. It's worth a try to find one there.
Craig C.

Old January 24th 05, 06:59 PM
Robert M. Gary

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote:

Take a look at Harbor Freight. They've got a nice one for

reasonable
price.

In my opinion, Harbor Freight doesn't sell very good quality stuff

(except for
the "name brand" items like Channel-lock). I never buy anything there

if I need
for it to last. I remain pleasantly surprised by a drill press I

bought from
them (which keeps right on going), but most of the items I've bought

either
didn't work very well or didn't last very long.

Funny, that's what I like about Harbor Freight, the cheapness. When I
buy a coil spring compressor (as an example) I may only use it 3 times
in my life and don't need the same quality as the professional who will
use it 3 times a day. At HF I can by the cheap version for less than
the cost to rent one, without the rental hassle.

-Robert

Old January 25th 05, 12:56 AM
JDupre5762

No kidding? I'll have to look around. Sears? Home Depot? Auto parts
shop? - Mike

My first rolling tool chest was a Sears workbench. I bought some sheet steel
to seal off the back a piece of plywood for the bottom on which I mounted a
pair of fixed wheels and a pair of castering wheels. The whole thing cost me
less than $200 in 1984. Still have it at home.

John Dupre'

Old January 25th 05, 02:24 AM

Funny, that's what I like about Harbor Freight, the cheapness. When I
buy a coil spring compressor (as an example) I may only use it 3

times
in my life and don't need the same quality as the professional who

will
use it 3 times a day. At HF I can by the cheap version for less than
the cost to rent one, without the rental hassle.

-Robert

I'll second that. A lot of the stuff they sell is entirely
adequate for occasional use. Some of it, particularly hand
tools, are junk. You have to evaluate each on it's own
merits, and make your decision. I have generally been
satisfied with my purchases.

David Johnson

Old January 25th 05, 02:54 PM
Mike Rapoport

I bought two at Costco, one for home and one for the hanger. They are
stainless, ball bearing slides and about $650.

Mike
MU-2

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
news
You know the rolling mechanics tool chests that provide some work room
on top? you see these in any A&P shop.

I don't need one, so I don't wanna spend much $$$, but if I could
build one for nothing, it would be fun to have.

Anyone built their own rolling tool chest? - Mike

You can't build one for what they cost on sale.

Old January 27th 05, 04:56 AM
Roger

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:27:14 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
news
You know the rolling mechanics tool chests that provide some work room
on top? you see these in any A&P shop.

I don't need one, so I don't wanna spend much $$$, but if I could
build one for nothing, it would be fun to have.

Anyone built their own rolling tool chest? - Mike

You can't build one for what they cost on sale.

If you go with ball bearing drawer slides they'll cost more than the
chest on sale. OTOH I think I could build one with a better fit and
maybe finish, but It would probably take me two weeks and cost twice
as much as the regular price.

I've done a lot of steel work, welding, fitting, rollers, leveling
bolts... on fixtures for the G-III assembly.

As I've said before, I spend more time building the stuff to build the
stuff than I do building the stuff. At least I'm at a point where I
don't have to spend a lot of money, but many when it comes time to
rebuild that K1A5 IO-540 and install the panel I'm going to have to
sell something.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com