TIS and What could have been

Old October 29th 05, 10:31 PM
Chuck

Default TIS and What could have been

Unnerveing thing happen to me today.
I have TIS displayed on the Garmin 430.
I was 15 or 20 miles north of Moraine (I73) in southern Ohio and
talking to Dayton Controller under Flight Following.
I'm at 4500 ft and landing at Moraine. I request (I'm in his air
space) the controller that I would like to start my decent and he says
cleared to decend. Shortly, the display squacks and says "traffic" and
I see a traffic indicated at 500 ft below. I tell controller that I
have traffic on my display 500 ft below and he says "Yes, it is a 172
going into Moraine also."

So now we have a low wing (my Archer) above a high wing (172) and I
have been cleared to decend. I tell the controller that I am stopping
my decent and turning left 30 deg (and speeding up). He did not
respond. The 430 display over the next minute shows seperation and I
turn back to course and see the 172. I continue to keep my speed
greater that his and we both land without further problem.

I think TIS may have saved my ( and others) life today and the FAA is
decomissioning the sites with the explination that ADS-B is going to be
better when they get it implemented in the next few years and an an
inexpensive plane electronic becomes available.

God, I wish I knew how to stop this decomissioning of TIS before ADS-B
is widely available. My life (and maybe yours) may depend on it.

Chuck

Old October 30th 05, 01:47 AM
Peter R.

Chuck wrote:

God, I wish I knew how to stop this decomissioning of TIS before ADS-B
is widely available. My life (and maybe yours) may depend on it.

According to the most recent AOPA magazine, TIS in this form will be a
distant memory as of 2012, when the last of the radar sites is upgraded to
the latest technology.

I guess I'll toss my Garmin Mode-S transponder into the same heap of
garbage as my WSI weather receiver since they both represent good
technology that became obsolete.

--
Peter
If I wanted to lose $10Gs that fast, I would have invested it in the stock

Old October 30th 05, 01:53 AM
Jose

I guess I'll toss my Garmin Mode-S transponder into the same heap of
garbage as my WSI weather receiver since they both represent good
technology that became obsolete.

More and more we buy devices, not for ourselves, but for the benefit of
other companies who support (or don't support) them.

Jose
Old October 30th 05, 02:23 AM
Newps

Chuck wrote:

So now we have a low wing (my Archer) above a high wing (172) and I
have been cleared to decend.

You were never restricted from descending in the first place.

I think TIS may have saved my ( and others) life today and the FAA is
decomissioning the sites with the explination that ADS-B is going to be
better when they get it implemented in the next few years and an an
inexpensive plane electronic becomes available.

That's correct. TIS was obsolete before it was even commissioned.

Old October 30th 05, 11:11 AM

Newps wrote:

That's correct. TIS was obsolete before it was even commissioned.

Not to mention impractical.

Old October 30th 05, 09:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Had you been assigned any altitude restriction prior to your descent
request? If not, then you were free to descend at any time. But it seems
odd that you weren't assigned an altitude restriction as you'd be pretty
much right over DAY.

Old October 30th 05, 11:26 PM
John Doe

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Unnerveing thing happen to me today.
I have TIS displayed on the Garmin 430.
I was 15 or 20 miles north of Moraine (I73) in southern Ohio and
talking to Dayton Controller under Flight Following.
I'm at 4500 ft and landing at Moraine. I request (I'm in his air
space) the controller that I would like to start my decent and he says
cleared to decend. Shortly, the display squacks and says "traffic" and
I see a traffic indicated at 500 ft below. I tell controller that I
have traffic on my display 500 ft below and he says "Yes, it is a 172
going into Moraine also."

So you were overtaking the 172? Did you not see him prior to descending?

Old October 31st 05, 12:44 AM
Ron Lee

"John Doe" wrote:

So you were overtaking the 172? Did you not see him prior to descending?

I assume that you see every aircraft near you. I wish I were that
good. Even when given aircraft advisories I often never see the
aircraft.

Ron Lee
Old October 31st 05, 08:43 AM
David Cartwright

"Chuck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Unnerveing thing happen to me today.
I have TIS displayed on the Garmin 430.
I was 15 or 20 miles north of Moraine (I73) in southern Ohio and
talking to Dayton Controller under Flight Following.
I'm at 4500 ft and landing at Moraine. I request (I'm in his air
space) the controller that I would like to start my decent and he says
cleared to decend. Shortly, the display squacks and says "traffic" and
I see a traffic indicated at 500 ft below. I tell controller that I
have traffic on my display 500 ft below and he says "Yes, it is a 172
going into Moraine also."

No offence, but wasn't this a VFR flight? If so, the primary way to find out
about traffic is to look out of the window. I agree that the circumstances
were such that the task of spotting the other guy was made harder (your low
wings and his high wings, for example) but there are ways (e.g. weaving
descents) to improve your chances.

While I agree that electronic assistance can be a very useful secondary
device for picking up the odd bit of traffic you've not eyeballed, it's
essential to remember that looking out of the window is rule number one, and
if you'd descended onto the top of this other aircraft, it'd have been your
fault. The other thing to remember, of course, is that TIS relies on the
other aircraft giving a correct altitude - which in the aircraft I fly
relies on the the pilot having the correct altimiter setting.

D.