GOANA Austrialian Air Safaris

Old September 11th 04, 07:07 PM
Jeremy Lew

Default GOANA Austrialian Air Safaris

Has anyone had any experience with this outfit? Seems like it would make a
great vacation:
http://www.goana.com.au/gaas.html.

I can't find prices anywhere on the site though, which scares me.

Jeremy

Old September 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Roger Long

I know someone who did exactly this. Looks like the same outfit but I'm not
sure. He said it was fantastic, incredible, not to be missed (if you can
afford it), etc.

May not be a good time to fly down under though. There is some kind of
airspace upheaval going on and things are bad enough that there is a web
site urging all GA pilots to fly into controlled airspace all at once and
turn off their radios and transponders in protest.

Does anybody know what is actually going on down there?

--

Roger Long

Old September 11th 04, 07:31 PM
Mike Adams

"Jeremy Lew" wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with this outfit? Seems like it would
make a great vacation:
http://www.goana.com.au/gaas.html.

I can't find prices anywhere on the site though, which scares me.

Jeremy

A friend of mine just went on one of these tours and raved about it. They
had a great time. I don't see the prices on the site either, but it's not
cheap, as I understand.

Mike
Old September 11th 04, 07:47 PM
Richard W. Graves

My wife and I did a GOANA tour in the Spring of 2002. I can't remember
the name of the tour (something like Great Outback Adventure) but it
consisted of 16 days of flying around the Outback. It was a fantastic
trip. GOANA is as professional as you could possibly ask for.
Everything, and I do mean everything, was anticipated and taken care of.
The accomodations and the meals were as good as you could get, allowing
for some of the remote destinations. The airplanes (all C172s) were well
maintained and good looking. On our trip there were 5 couples and one
single pilot from the Netherlands. The single pilot shared an aircraft
with our guide. Our guide, BTW, was Lang Kidby, the copilot on the
re-creation of the Vickers Vimy flight from London to Sydney a few years
back. If I remember correctly, the cost of the trip in 2002 was $4800
each, double occupancy. Of course, that did not include airfare to Oz.

Joy and I hope to take another GOANA trip in the near future.

If you would like any further information or copies of some of the pix
we took on the trip, I would be happy to help you.

Good luck!

Rick Graves
1974 C177B - N34759

Old September 13th 04, 08:30 AM
Kevin Black

There's moves afoot to change the airspace into a model not unlike the US
(NAS national Airspace Reform). Things like joining circuit at 45deg on the
downwind etc etc and reclassification of Class G/E etc airspace, requirement
to carry transponders etc It is being staged in, but there has been a
rollback because of complaints by RPT operators and ATC guys. Seemed OK to

try www.casa.gov.au and www.airservices.gov .au for details.

Seen the GOANNA ads, don't know anything else about them. Cost is relative,
current US/AUS exchange rate is about $0.68 (from a high of $0.78 earlier
this year).

HTH,
Kevin

.. .