Best route from Charlotte to Lexington

Old October 12th 05, 10:45 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Tamara Whitman wrote:
I'll be flying a VFR-only plane from Charlotte to Lexington next
weekend, and I'm in the process of planning the best route to cross the
mountains. The sectionals should arrive in a couple of days, but in the
mean time I'm looking at the route, and the elevations appear lower in
the route from Asheville up to Greeneville. Also, it looks like this is
entirely over a major highway vs. being in the middle of nowhere.

KEXX is a great field with friendly folks. No need to go all the way out
by Asheville to get there from Charlotte unless you're sightseeing or want
to get some mountain experience. Asheville will be very pretty for the
next week or two, by the way.

Since you're VFR, just follow I-85 out to Lexington. You'll see the
airport where US 52 and I-85 diverge. Can't miss it.

Unless he's talking about Lexington, TN (M52)... half way between Nashville and
Memphis along I-40.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 12th 05, 01:55 PM
Robet Coffey

The old kptg in pennington gap closed and will be up for auction soon.
the new 0vg is open 5000', 10 t-hangers, taxiways, and no facilities
except a porta potty. There are X X on the runway @ kptg, the pilots
based there before 0vg opened have permission from the county to
take-off but not to land at the closed airport. I think all have ferried
over to 0vg now.
A nice fellow from tri-cities gave me a ride in a glassair 1ft. None for
rent that i know of.
W P Dixon wrote:
I had heard that Lee County Airport was being closed ? Also that any
pilot taking off in their plane had to take it somewhere else? Can you
give me the real scoop on what is going on there? Any "sport planes" to
rent over your way?

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

"Robet Coffey" wrote in message
newsWO2f.31816$q81.28143@trnddc06...

You can go up the french broad river avl to newport tn, greenvlle then
to lex. I am based out of Lee Co. Va. 0vg and have flown this route
several times. If it's windy..forget it, you do not want to be in
there.. i always think back to something Evelyn "mamma bird" Johnson
in morristown KMOR told a friend of mine. "Never fly over the Smokies,
they are too easy to fly around." Not that I have always heeded that
advice, but you can shoot to kmnn? mcminn co. and through cumberland
gap if you need to. When i do fly that area "avl to Greenville" I take
a survival blanket, water, and my bear pistol. There is a stretch if
you had to put the plane down it could be awhile before anyone got to
you. Remember wind is weather- especially when trying to fly a mtn.
pass w low ceilings...

Old October 12th 05, 11:28 PM
Eric Bartsch

I think I may have needed to be more specific. I'm heading from
Charlotte, NC to Lexington Kentucky and then on up to Northwest Ohio.
You had me going there for a moment when you referred to following I-85
since to my knowledge it doesn't cross the mountains.

The consensus appears to be the gap by Asheville that heads up toward
Greeneville through the river valley.

Eric

Old October 13th 05, 02:52 AM
Morgans

"Eric Bartsch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I may have needed to be more specific. I'm heading from
Charlotte, NC to Lexington Kentucky and then on up to Northwest Ohio.
You had me going there for a moment when you referred to following I-85
since to my knowledge it doesn't cross the mountains.

The consensus appears to be the gap by Asheville that heads up toward
Greeneville through the river valley.

If you are going I Follow Roads, you could go up I-77, all the way. It is
the most direct route by car, but I do not know the elevations of the
passes, going that way.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 13th 05, 04:32 AM
W P Dixon

He won't make it to Lexington by following I-77 I-75 would take him to
Lexington if he flew over to the Knoxville area and followed it north.
Have a good trip Eric and say hello to ManOWar Blvd for me,...such a
cool name for a street. Named after the race horse..of course of course!

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 13th 05, 12:43 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Eric Bartsch wrote:
I think I may have needed to be more specific. I'm heading from
Charlotte, NC to Lexington Kentucky and then on up to Northwest Ohio.
You had me going there for a moment when you referred to following I-85
since to my knowledge it doesn't cross the mountains.

The consensus appears to be the gap by Asheville that heads up toward
Greeneville through the river valley.

Alright... I finally pulled out the charts and had a look. Charlotte V259
(through Hickory) to HMV (Holston Mountain). Then V53 through Hazard, KY (AZQ)
the rest of the way to Lexington. I don't think there's a minimum enroute
altitude over 7500 feet.... easily done in a C-172. Just pick a decent VFR day
to go.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE