Low power cruise in a Cherokee 6

Old January 19th 08, 12:22 AM
JOM JOM is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana
Question Low power cruise in a Cherokee 6

I have very recently purchased a Cherokee 6-260 and was wondering if anyone has any sugestions regarding the most economical cruise settings? Speed is not so important as MPG. Most of the distances I fly are not long, so high altitude stuff doesn't really factor in. Most flights will be 100 to 300 miles and maybe 5000'. This is a carburated engine, so GAMI's and lean of peak doesn't fit the picture. I have heard of lean of peak with a carb and some carb heat, but I usually fly 60% power at peak as per the Lyc operators manual.

I have been told I can get 11-12 gph at 120 knots, but I seem to use more fuel. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
Old January 19th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Low power cruise in a Cherokee 6

--
JOM

Did the person who sold you the airplane give you those fuel burn
figures?

Dan
Old January 19th 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Hmmm, how about looking in the POH for the maximum duration power
setting? That should be within a few percent of best MPG...

Generally speaking, around 55%-60% power will get you in the ball
park...

denny
Old January 19th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

John.. you should REALLY get over to http://piperowner.com/ and
ask there..

LOTS of 6 drivers there who are very knowledgeable about their
aircraft.

Without a doubt the best Cherokee support group ever!

Dave

Old January 19th 08, 08:17 PM
JOM JOM is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana

The person selling the plane did say that 55% to 60% would get me about 12 gph, at about 120 knots but, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Although fuel use might be close, I think my airspeed is a little lower.

This is a '69 Cherokee Six, and there is no POH, but there is a AFM (Aircraft flight Manual), which really doesn't provide much information at all - only 7 pages on operations and limitations.

I posted this looking for some folks who have spent some time flying behind this engine/airframe with some real world advice. I really wish the plane came with some better documentation, but it's not there. I have looked over the engine operators manual, but I also realize that a low power setting may not always give the best economy. If you are too slow, and "mushing through the air" your mpg could be lower than at a higher speed.

I guess I'm asking if anybody will state at what RPM and MP they have used to operate with the most fuel economy. (With a PA32-260, Lyc. O540 260 hp.) -And has anyone found a particular low power RPM/MP setting that works better than another? Lycoming does not recomend extended low power cruise operation below 18" and does say that oil temperatures should be kept from gettin too low.

It seems to me that 8 to 12 minutes longer on a 150 mile trip (if it saves 2 or 3 gallons or more) would be worth it. I didn't buy this plane to go fast, just to haul a bulky load. Which it does very well. I'm just wondering how to get the lowest acutal cost per mile.

John M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Hmmm, how about looking in the POH for the maximum duration power
setting? That should be within a few percent of best MPG...

Generally speaking, around 55%-60% power will get you in the ball
park...

denny

Last edited by JOM : January 19th 08 at 10:40 PM.
Old January 21st 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

wrote:

I have very recently purchased a Cherokee 6-260 and was wondering if
anyone has any sugestions regarding the most economical cruise
settings? Speed is not so important as MPG. Most of the distances I
fly are not long, so high altitude stuff doesn't really factor in.
Most flights will be 100 to 300 miles and maybe 5000'. This is a
carburated engine, so GAMI's and lean of peak doesn't fit the picture.
I have heard of lean of peak with a carb and some carb heat, but I
usually fly 60% power at peak as per the Lyc operators manual.

I have been told I can get 11-12 gph at 120 knots, but I seem to use
more fuel. Any suggestions?

120 kts indicated or true?

I have a PA28-180, and get about 125ktas at 10gph as long as I am at
higher altitudes 7-8000+ feet. It has the entire K2U speed mods suite
though.

Granted, a 6-260 is a bigger/heavier plane, but I would think 120ktas
on 12gph would be feasible, especially if not loaded to max gross.

Old January 21st 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cwby-flyer

On Jan 18, 6:22 pm, JOM wrote:
I have very recently purchased a Cherokee 6-260 and was wondering if
anyone has any sugestions regarding the most economical cruise
settings? Speed is not so important as MPG. Most of the distances I
fly are not long, so high altitude stuff doesn't really factor in.
Most flights will be 100 to 300 miles and maybe 5000'. This is a
carburated engine, so GAMI's and lean of peak doesn't fit the picture.
I have heard of lean of peak with a carb and some carb heat, but I
usually fly 60% power at peak as per the Lyc operators manual.

I have been told I can get 11-12 gph at 120 knots, but I seem to use
more fuel. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

--
JOM

John,

I looking at a POH from a 1968 PA32-260 and at 7,000 ft density
altitude the cahrts are indicating about 140mph (121 kts) true. The
power settings for 55% power at this altitude a 20.2/2100,
19.3/2200, 18.3/2300, or 18.0/2400.

Obviously, make sure that you're using true airspeed and not
indicated. Do you have the wheel pants installed? Another huge
problem with getting book speed out of a cherokee is the rigging of
flaps - if you go www.pipermods.com there's a drawing of a tool to
check for proper rigging.

Mike
Old January 21st 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

cwby-flyer wrote:
I looking at a POH from a 1968 PA32-260 and at 7,000 ft density
altitude the cahrts are indicating about 140mph (121 kts) true. The
power settings for 55% power at this altitude a 20.2/2100,
19.3/2200, 18.3/2300, or 18.0/2400.

Given those choices for 55% power, I'd select the 20" / 2100 rpm for passenger
comfort. It's amazing the difference in the noise level between 2100 and 2400
rpm, particularly on longer flights. And 55% is 55%.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 22nd 08, 05:48 AM
JOM JOM is offline
Junior Member

Location: Montana

Now, I know that 55% power is 55% power, however I wonder if things like prop effeciency and thrust could make some changes at different mp and rpm settings? What about fuel flow? Does anyone see much difference when flying a PA32-260 at 18.0/2400 vs 20.2/2100, or at any of the other settings?
I do have wheel pants, but no other speed mods. I really appreciate all the input, thanks.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwby-flyer View Post

Old January 22nd 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

John, if you plot a graph of mpg vs percent power, you'll probably
find a pretty broad area where you're within a few percent of optimum.
A couple of knots one way or the other is picking at nits. In real
life, slight changes in rigging on individual airplanes, and cg
locations will have that sort of effect, won't they? I don't know this
for sure, but think as cg goes aft the airplane becomes a little more
effective since the stab doesn't add as much aerodynamic 'weight'
pushing the tail down to overcome the load moment.

Ditto, plot mpg vs RPM for a given percentage power, and pretty often
that's at the lower engine speeds. Since TBO is determined by tach
hours, we tend to fly our IO360 at lower RPMs anyhow. Average RPM of
2200 instead of 2500 is about a 14% difference in clock hours for time
between overhauls, and as Ben Franklin might have said, an hour saved
is an hour earned.

Cruise RPM setting john Piloting 22 October 18th 07 07:46 PM
Typical power settings during cruise and other phases of flight Mxsmanic Piloting 99 October 2nd 06 10:12 AM
Cherokee Strobe Power Supply Mounting Plate Mike Spera Owning 4 June 24th 06 12:47 AM
Power setting table and best economy/best power... xerj Piloting 29 October 20th 05 02:44 AM
WOT in cruise? Roger Long Owning 10 July 28th 03 08:00 AM