LX20 + Ipaq wiring

Old February 4th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LX20 + Ipaq wiring

Hello all

I am trying to connect my LX20 to my iPaq.
LX20 is older model (Pre 2000)
iPaq is 3850

I have the original cradle and cables from LX Navigation that is designed to
connect ot a PC seiral port. This meand the cable has a DB9 female connector
both ends.

So I invested in a LX NAvigation "IPAQ Interface" which consists of a pair of
input power lines for 8-24V and a iPaq connector, and a little power regulator /
IC block with a female DB9 connector on it.

When I asked if the unit supplied power to the LX20 the answer was "OK then I
supply [other stuff] and the LX to iPAQ 30xx adapter and you sort the power
supply? Should be possible to take power from the iPAQ adapter with a simple
splitter. "

Now I am an IT type, but this beats me.

Has anyone done this before? Do I need to open the heat shrink on the IPAQ
Interface and wire one of the pins with +12V and the case with -12V.

The standard cradle has certain of the pins shorted out to swiths the unit on
whenever it is in the cradle, and an external button wired for "event mark",
which you can do from the keypad, and a third pin powering an LED to indicate
each NMEA sentence written.

Not sure where to start. I have the pin out on the cradle...

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old February 4th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have an LX20, iPaq 3955 and LX4000 interconnected.

I will try to send you 2 pdf files on the wiring.

Post here if you do not get them.

You need to provide 5 volts to the iPaq.

Bob

Old February 4th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

the Cable supplied by LX Navigation has connection between the LX20 and
Iapq.....just plug in....the cable also has a set of power leads to your
supply power....the LX20 cable set also has a set of power leads for your
power supply (battery).....connect the LX Cable between the PDA and to
LX20......then connect both sets of power leads to your power supply
(Battery) and that should be all you need......if you have the LXPDA Cable
set (which also converts the 12VDC to 5VDC for the PDA......if you don't
have this cabl;e set call me.I ahve them here
thanks
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com