Boeing 367-80 questions

Old August 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
Neil Gerace

Default Boeing 367-80 questions

Is that plane the 707 prototype or the KC-135A prototype? I understand the
707 is wider than the -135A (in order to match the DC-8) and has other
differences in structure.

Also, anyone know why Boeing gave it the same model number as the B-367,
which was a completely different airframe?

Old August 23rd 04, 05:25 AM
Raoul

In article
, Neil
Gerace wrote:

Is that plane the 707 prototype or the KC-135A prototype? I understand the
707 is wider than the -135A (in order to match the DC-8) and has other
differences in structure.

Also, anyone know why Boeing gave it the same model number as the B-367,
which was a completely different airframe?

What a coincidence...

i was just reading about the Dash-80 on the Smithsonian website (The
Dash-80 is part of their collection)

The Dash-80 was the prototype of the entire series. I guess you could
look at it as the prototype for just the KC-135 but I don't think it
matters much. Juan Trippe coaxed them to add the width so PanAm could
go six wide.

The B-367 designation comes from the KC97/Stratocruiser(?). Boeing was
working on modifying that basic design by adding a wing similar to that
of the B-47 with other modifications, features, blah, blah, blah. It
was the 80th different variation of the original theme from the KC97..

raoul

Old August 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
David Lednicer

The 367-80, C-135 and 707 have a "double bubble" fuselage cross-section.
On the 367-80, the upper lobe is 132" wide and the entire fuselage is
164" tall. On the C-135, the upper lobe is 144" wide and the fuselage
is 166" tall. On the 707, the upper lobe is 148" wide and the fuselage
is 170.5" tall.

As near as I can figure out, the wings of the original 367-80, C-135,
707-120 and 707-138 are identical. The 707-320 has a much different
wing. By the end of its life, 367-80 had(has) a wing much like a 707-320.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Neil Gerace

"David Lednicer" wrote in message

The 367-80, C-135 and 707 have a "double bubble" fuselage cross-section.
On the 367-80, the upper lobe is 132" wide and the entire fuselage is 164"
tall. On the C-135, the upper lobe is 144" wide and the fuselage is 166"
tall. On the 707, the upper lobe is 148" wide and the fuselage is 170.5"
tall.

As near as I can figure out, the wings of the original 367-80, C-135,
707-120 and 707-138 are identical. The 707-320 has a much different wing.
By the end of its life, 367-80 had(has) a wing much like a 707-320.

Ah, so all three are different in FCS. thnks

Old August 23rd 04, 08:04 PM
Raoul

In article , David Lednicer
wrote:

The 367-80, C-135 and 707 have a "double bubble" fuselage cross-section.
On the 367-80, the upper lobe is 132" wide and the entire fuselage is
164" tall. On the C-135, the upper lobe is 144" wide and the fuselage
is 166" tall. On the 707, the upper lobe is 148" wide and the fuselage
is 170.5" tall.

That makes a lot of sense since it was evolved from the C97 which, as
the Stratoliner, had a lounge up top and the seats down below (or vice
versa).

Pretty amazing how Boeing has frequently utilized elements of prievious
designs in new planes.