A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Coronavirus impacting activities?

Old March 20th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default Coronavirus impacting activities?

If you don't stay home, you're helping the virus to kill others.
Get real.
Old March 20th 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Friday, 20 March 2020 14:37:19 UTC+2, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 10:53:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
https://xcmag.com/news/paragliding-a...irus-pandemic/

Meanwhile in Rome...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/4u7iT4vqjeU

They must live in some other planet. FFS.
Old March 20th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 12:46:14 PM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
Get real.

99% of the dead in Italy had previous major illness. We are to crash the world's economy, and worse stop soaring, to increase the lifespan of sick old people by a few months?
Shouldn't we simply isolate at risk old people and let the world keep spinning? I've seen several club's policies and they vary from be smart and if you are concerned stay home, to we're too scared to fly so no one else can either.
One is reasonable the other petty and queer.
Old March 20th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Hey - I'm "old", but unafraid.Â* If I get sick I'll cross that bridge then.

In the mean time I'm being what I think is responsible, avoiding crowds
etc, but I'm not quitting flying.Â* I have a big ticket item due to ship
from Poland TODAY and that is now in doubt.Â* Any delays will affect a
lot of other stuff through the ripple effect.

This really sucks.

On 3/20/2020 11:50 AM, wrote:
Get real.

99% of the dead in Italy had previous major illness. We are to crash the world's economy, and worse stop soaring, to increase the lifespan of sick old people by a few months?
Shouldn't we simply isolate at risk old people and let the world keep spinning? I've seen several club's policies and they vary from be smart and if you are concerned stay home, to we're too scared to fly so no one else can either.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 20th 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 10:50:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Get real.

If we don't contain this virus now it is very likely we will overwhelm the hospitals that are already near the breaking point. This disease attacks the lungs and you may need intensive care if you contract it as 20% of the cases are severe. Here is just one story of a relatively young person who suffered thru CV (https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ending_now_3):

Marc Thibault was groggy and surrounded by beeping machines, but he was alert enough to know what it meant when he looked up and saw a priest, wearing protective gear, by his bedside at the Miriam Hospital in Rhode Island.

“Holy cow,” he thought to himself. “I’m 48 years old and I’m getting my last rites.”

Mr. Thibault, one of the first Americans diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, recounted days of pain and fear in his first interview Tuesday, speaking from the intensive-care unit at the Providence hospital where he has been for 13 days, fighting the illness that attacked his lungs. “I was one inch from death,” he said, his voice weary. “No doubt about it. No doubt about it.”

Roughly 80% of Covid-19 cases tend to be mild or moderate, and more than 62,000 people globally have recovered. Older people or those with underlying health conditions are at a higher risk.

Mr. Thibault’s ordeal began with a much-awaited school trip abroad, a journey to Europe from Feb. 14 to 22 that went through Italy. Two others from the trip also tested positive, although they weren’t hit as hard as Mr. Thibault. The married father of two is the popular vice principal of student life at Saint Raphael Academy, a private Catholic school in Pawtucket, a suburb of Providence. He knew travel would expand his students’ minds and was thrilled to chaperone the nine-day adventure that began in Milan and ended in Barcelona.

When the group of 38 people left the U.S., coronavirus was certainly in the news but there “were no cases of community-spread coronavirus in Italy and no CDC travel warning in effect,” the school said in a previous statement.

When the group landed in Milan, Mr. Thibault thought it was strange to see people in hazmat suits in the airport, but everything seemed calm. The group headed to Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera, and began what would be just two days of sightseeing in Italy.

But just in that short period, he began to hear about Italy cordoning off some towns, and by the time they left for the French Riviera he was relieved to be leaving Italy.

It was apparently too late. Italy would become one of the hardest-hit places for the virus.

A self-described germaphobe, Mr. Thibault isn’t sure exactly how he became infected. He said he used hand sanitizer constantly on the trip. But the group’s local tour guide said he felt like he was coming down with the flu, and he and Mr. Thibault passed a microphone back and forth to talk to the students. Mr. Thibault is unsure if the tour guide ever tested positive.

Mr. Thibault had no symptoms during the trip, but he felt unusually sluggish on the flight back to the U.S.

“Something is wrong,” he told his wife when he finally got home to Rhode Island near midnight on Saturday, Feb. 22. He went straight to bed, and then the next day, went to a walk-in clinic. Mr. Thibault has asthma, but he exercises everyday and said he rarely gets sick.

He said he told the clinic he had been to Italy and wondered aloud if he could have the novel coronavirus. He was told he didn’t fit the criteria at the time for the test because he didn’t really have the symptoms, which can include a fever or shortness of breath.

He stayed home from work, but just got worse, with growing fatigue, a dry cough and something that resembled bronchitis. He went to a hospital but was again told he didn’t meet the criteria for the test, he said.

Doctors there were concerned, however, and Mr. Thibault said he quickly got a call from the Rhode Island Department of Health, which told him to get tested immediately.

A health department spokesman said the agency can’t comment on any specific patient, but noted that the CDC’s guidance for testing has evolved. “We have reviewed each Rhode Island case carefully,” the spokesman said. “In each of those instances, the health-care facilities involved all responded appropriately.”

By later in the week, Mr. Thibault was at the Miriam Hospital, where he was admitted. He tested positive for the virus.

He says the virus now hit him “like a hurricane.” He was weak and had trouble breathing. The hospital whisked him into the ICU, where nurses donned hazmat-style suits to enter his room.

They inserted a breathing tube, and put another tube down his throat for medicine to deal with pneumonia that developed in his lungs, he said.

Gagging and coughing, Mr. Thibault said he felt scared. His lungs would fill with saliva and nurses would dash in and clear them out, only to have to do it again two hours later.

“The feeling of choking. That was the worst part,” he said. “You feel like you’re asphyxiating, and you’re panicking because you can’t breathe.”

The agony went on for days.

His wife, and his two children, ages 20 and 15, were unable to visit, lest they become infected, too.

“Just get through the next hour, the next hour, the next hour,” Mr. Thibault told himself. “It’s just one time you quit and then you’re dead.”

Even though he was partially sedated, his mind kept spinning.

Last week, he forced himself to write a note to his wife, telling her that if his lungs collapsed, to not keep him on life support.

“I just didn’t want to have that on my wife’s shoulders. I just didn’t want her to do that,” he said. “I’m glad she never had to read that note.”

Slowly he began to get better. The doctors took out his breathing tube and to his relief, his lungs picked up the pace. When he could speak, he thanked the medical staff.

“What these people did for me in that last two weeks, I’m forever indebted to them,” he said.

He said he is “coming through this” and hopes to be able to leave the hospital by the weekend. He said he has turned on the television and caught up on the news of the escalating virus. He is worried some people don’t realize how serious it can be and hopes people are taking the recommended safety steps, from washing hands frequently to staying home when sick, to avoid community spread.

“It almost killed me,” he said. “It’s alarming when I hear people minimize it as a simple cold. It was no simple cold for me.”
Old March 20th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 1:58:48 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Get real.

If we don't contain this virus now it is very likely we will overwhelm the hospitals that are already near the breaking point. This disease attacks the lungs and you may need intensive care if you contract it as 20% of the cases are severe. Here is just one story of a relatively young person who suffered thru CV (https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ending_now_3):

Marc Thibault was groggy and surrounded by beeping machines, but he was alert enough to know what it meant when he looked up and saw a priest, wearing protective gear, by his bedside at the Miriam Hospital in Rhode Island.

“Holy cow,” he thought to himself. “I’m 48 years old and I’m getting my last rites.”

Mr. Thibault, one of the first Americans diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, recounted days of pain and fear in his first interview Tuesday, speaking from the intensive-care unit at the Providence hospital where he has been for 13 days, fighting the illness that attacked his lungs. “I was one inch from death,” he said, his voice weary. “No doubt about it. No doubt about it.”

Roughly 80% of Covid-19 cases tend to be mild or moderate, and more than 62,000 people globally have recovered. Older people or those with underlying health conditions are at a higher risk.

Mr. Thibault’s ordeal began with a much-awaited school trip abroad, a journey to Europe from Feb. 14 to 22 that went through Italy. Two others from the trip also tested positive, although they weren’t hit as hard as Mr. Thibault. The married father of two is the popular vice principal of student life at Saint Raphael Academy, a private Catholic school in Pawtucket, a suburb of Providence. He knew travel would expand his students’ minds and was thrilled to chaperone the nine-day adventure that began in Milan and ended in Barcelona.

When the group of 38 people left the U.S., coronavirus was certainly in the news but there “were no cases of community-spread coronavirus in Italy and no CDC travel warning in effect,” the school said in a previous statement.

When the group landed in Milan, Mr. Thibault thought it was strange to see people in hazmat suits in the airport, but everything seemed calm. The group headed to Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera, and began what would be just two days of sightseeing in Italy.

But just in that short period, he began to hear about Italy cordoning off some towns, and by the time they left for the French Riviera he was relieved to be leaving Italy.

It was apparently too late. Italy would become one of the hardest-hit places for the virus.

A self-described germaphobe, Mr. Thibault isn’t sure exactly how he became infected. He said he used hand sanitizer constantly on the trip. But the group’s local tour guide said he felt like he was coming down with the flu, and he and Mr. Thibault passed a microphone back and forth to talk to the students. Mr. Thibault is unsure if the tour guide ever tested positive.

Mr. Thibault had no symptoms during the trip, but he felt unusually sluggish on the flight back to the U.S.

“Something is wrong,” he told his wife when he finally got home to Rhode Island near midnight on Saturday, Feb. 22. He went straight to bed, and then the next day, went to a walk-in clinic. Mr. Thibault has asthma, but he exercises everyday and said he rarely gets sick.

He said he told the clinic he had been to Italy and wondered aloud if he could have the novel coronavirus. He was told he didn’t fit the criteria at the time for the test because he didn’t really have the symptoms, which can include a fever or shortness of breath.

He stayed home from work, but just got worse, with growing fatigue, a dry cough and something that resembled bronchitis. He went to a hospital but was again told he didn’t meet the criteria for the test, he said.

Doctors there were concerned, however, and Mr. Thibault said he quickly got a call from the Rhode Island Department of Health, which told him to get tested immediately.

A health department spokesman said the agency can’t comment on any specific patient, but noted that the CDC’s guidance for testing has evolved. “We have reviewed each Rhode Island case carefully,” the spokesman said. “In each of those instances, the health-care facilities involved all responded appropriately.”

By later in the week, Mr. Thibault was at the Miriam Hospital, where he was admitted. He tested positive for the virus.

He says the virus now hit him “like a hurricane.” He was weak and had trouble breathing. The hospital whisked him into the ICU, where nurses donned hazmat-style suits to enter his room.

They inserted a breathing tube, and put another tube down his throat for medicine to deal with pneumonia that developed in his lungs, he said.

Gagging and coughing, Mr. Thibault said he felt scared. His lungs would fill with saliva and nurses would dash in and clear them out, only to have to do it again two hours later.

“The feeling of choking. That was the worst part,” he said. “You feel like you’re asphyxiating, and you’re panicking because you can’t breathe.”

His wife, and his two children, ages 20 and 15, were unable to visit, lest they become infected, too.

“Just get through the next hour, the next hour, the next hour,” Mr. Thibault told himself. “It’s just one time you quit and then you’re dead.”

Last week, he forced himself to write a note to his wife, telling her that if his lungs collapsed, to not keep him on life support.

“I just didn’t want to have that on my wife’s shoulders. I just didn’t want her to do that,” he said. “I’m glad she never had to read that note.”

Slowly he began to get better. The doctors took out his breathing tube and to his relief, his lungs picked up the pace. When he could speak, he thanked the medical staff.

“What these people did for me in that last two weeks, I’m forever indebted to them,” he said.

He said he is “coming through this” and hopes to be able to leave the hospital by the weekend. He said he has turned on the television and caught up on the news of the escalating virus. He is worried some people don’t realize how serious it can be and hopes people are taking the recommended safety steps, from washing hands frequently to staying home when sick, to avoid community spread.

“It almost killed me,” he said. “It’s alarming when I hear people minimize it as a simple cold. It was no simple cold for me.”

2G, this is a sad story, and I'm glad the guy recovered. But its 'anecdotal' ie just one story. We could also tell the story of someone who got hit by a car, and almost died, and argue that shows we must all stop driving cars.. The numerical data shows that 80% of people who are sick enough to need hospitalisation are over 44, and of the 20% that go to hospital, most recover. The people with a high statistical chance of dying are the elderly and the sick. Those are the people that need to be protected, by self isolation, free home meals, free sick days, free healthcare....etc. As a society we should protect and help those people, but the rest of us can (and should) carry on, to keep our economy functioning.
Old March 20th 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 2:36:30 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 1:58:48 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Get real.

Marc Thibault was groggy and surrounded by beeping machines, but he was alert enough to know what it meant when he looked up and saw a priest, wearing protective gear, by his bedside at the Miriam Hospital in Rhode Island..

A self-described germaphobe, Mr. Thibault isn’t sure exactly how he became infected. He said he used hand sanitizer constantly on the trip.. But the group’s local tour guide said he felt like he was coming down with the flu, and he and Mr. Thibault passed a microphone back and forth to talk to the students. Mr. Thibault is unsure if the tour guide ever tested positive.

2G, this is a sad story, and I'm glad the guy recovered. But its 'anecdotal' ie just one story. We could also tell the story of someone who got hit by a car, and almost died, and argue that shows we must all stop driving cars. The numerical data shows that 80% of people who are sick enough to need hospitalisation are over 44, and of the 20% that go to hospital, most recover. The people with a high statistical chance of dying are the elderly and the sick. Those are the people that need to be protected, by self isolation, free home meals, free sick days, free healthcare....etc. As a society we should protect and help those people, but the rest of us can (and should) carry on, to keep our economy functioning.

You need anecdotes to see what, exactly, you are potentially facing. He was not old or with pre-existing conditions. If you don't take precautions you are literally throwing the dice about the outcomes. CV is EXTREMELY contagious and does not require physical contact with the infected to get infected. And you are contagious for a couple of weeks before you display symtoms. Even if you don't get hospitalized, recovery is very painful. More states, like NY, CA IL and NJ, are shutting down all but essential businesses as a result. The real-time data from China shows that a lock-down does work. If CV takes off we WILL NOT have the hospitals, doctors, nurses and supplies to deal with it and we will be looking at millions of dead.

Tom
Old March 21st 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla
external usenet poster

When the Chinese virus blows by and everyone is broke cause we stopped the world, you old guys aren't going to ask for a handout on the backs of the young, right? Promise?

As a senior citizen with a pre-existing condition (66 years old with a compromised immune system from a bone marrow transplant 15 years ago) I have to apologize to Gregg for being alive. Just think what I did to his insurance rates by surviving.
So Gregg are your parents still alive and know your feelings?
Old March 21st 20, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Getting pretty vitriolic on here. Are we going to survive this crisis? Yes. Are the measures being taken going to screw the economy? Absolutely. Are old guys going to bitch and moan when they see their retirement 401k is in the toilet? Yep. But maybe its more of a blessing that they will still be alive to scream. Are the young studs going to **** n moan about having to bare the burden of a Fed up economy? Yep, just like many of us “old” guys did when we had to bare it back in the day.

Young guys, get over it. Your young and you got years ahead of you to recoup. Old guys, quit bitching about the young guys who ignore CDC and state mandates about activity n travel etc, thats what youth do, they do their own thing, always have, always will, when you were young thats how you were. Get over it.

As for me, I am going soaring. My few little solo flights with a tow pilot and a couple other club guys practicing proper social distancing and lots of preventative hand washing is NOT going to spread the virus any more than the necessary trip you ney sayers have to make to the store to get groceries. Burt, keep on soaring out there in Marfa, be smart, but don’t stop.
Old March 21st 20, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 6:36:20 AM UTC-Burt, keep on soaring out there in Marfa, be smart, but don’t stop.

I shall. Of course having the alternate open canopy on my ASK-13 "Cabriolet" makes for more fresh air!

Wondering if anyone got sick after the Seniors contest last week at Seminole-Lake Gliderport near Orlando.
Over 100 participants (pilots, crews, staff, contest officials.) They took reasonable precautions and they apparently survived.