Special FAR Extension to June 30 and Costello Coverage

Old April 30th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Special FAR Extension to June 30 and Costello Coverage

https://www.faa.gov/coronavirus/regu...-19_Relief.pdf

This is an extension until June 30th for flight physicals, flight reviews and currency.

It is unclear to me if this applies only to "commercial" operators ("essential operations") or also applies to our "pleasure" glider flying.

I did reach out to Costello concerning coverage in the event of a claim resulting from a flight if the PIC's flight review has lapsed but within the June 30th FAA extension. Below is their response.

----------------------------------

Costello Insurance, as a broker, has no position on the subject as we have no authority. It is the insurance carrier’s call. As of this date, none of our insurers, including your carrier AIG, has relaxed their requirement for an in-force Flight Review.

We’ve seen the FAA’s statement with respect to not taking enforcement action for those whose medical expired between 3-31-20 and 6-30-20. Some insurers have relaxed their medical requirement. Some have not. AIG has followed the FAA’s lead on the medical issue. Of course the medical is not a requirement for flying gliders, but it is for operating tow planes. We’ve been waiting for something similar from the FAA for the Flight Review. You’re attachment is the first we’ve seen.

I will be forwarding it on to AIG and asking if they will suspend the flight review requirement. Upon receipt of their reply, I’ll let you know what they have to say.

Stay healthy!!!

Best regards,

Pat

Pat Costello
Old April 30th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

If you wade through it, it has wording about including private pilots
transporting critical medical supplies, but it doesn't seem to include
pleasure flying.

Old May 1st 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

From the EAA website, April 30, 2020:
Wholesale extension of flight reviews and proficiency checks only applies to operations requiring a commercial certificate or higher.

Extension of flight reviews for private pilots is limited to those with a total time of 500 hours, with 400 hours as PIC, and having logged 50 hours PIC in the last 12 months, and only for flight in support of a business, for humanitarian relief operations, for family medical needs or transportation of essential supplies for personal use, or to reposition the aircraft for required inspections.

There are also limited allowances for medical flights under exemptions and private agricultural flights. The FAA has offered no relief from aircraft maintenance or inspection intervals, such as annual inspections.

Due to the limited nature of many of the SFAR's provisions, some recreational pilots and aircraft will be unable to legally fly, due to an inability to obtain annual inspections and flight reviews. That ability varies widely from state to state, as each state has differing public distancing and business operation guidelines that affect the availability of services.

EAA is also actively working with the FAA on broad policy relief to allow experimental aircraft to be relocated after the expiration of their annual condition inspection for the purpose of maintenance and inspection.
Old May 1st 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 4:39:05 PM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
From the EAA website, April 30, 2020:
[...]

Thank you Burt. I am easily confused and this SFAR is no help. Some of my questions: Performing as a CFI requires a commercial certificate - does that count? Being a CFI at a flight school seems to me to be "in support of a business" - does that count?
Old May 1st 20, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Thank you Burt. I am easily confused and this SFAR is no help. Some of my questions: Performing as a CFI requires a commercial certificate - does that count? Being a CFI at a flight school seems to me to be "in support of a business" - does that count?

Speculating: I would think - but not official advice from me - that holding the Commercial certificate and as your "business," charging for your time as a Certificated Flight Instructor (ground and flight time) a realistic dollar amount might qualify. "Realistic" rate may be $20 to $60 / hour.

EAA and AOPA are working on this . . .