A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LX5000 vs LX7000

Old February 4th 21, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default LX5000 vs LX7000

Since I’m on a tear asking things I always wondered about (it’s snowy here) I’ve always wondered what the difference is between the last version of the LX5000 and the LX7000? Was it a marketing decision or were there actual improvements?
Old February 4th 21, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Default LX5000 vs LX7000

Hi,

I've repaired and calibrated both LX5000 and LX7000 and LX7007 units. The differences are updates to the hardware - more memory, faster processor, newer hardware design, brighter screen, higher-resolution screen (maybe), etc.. The last versions of the LX7007 Pro IGC were much easier to use and load files into and get flight logs out of using an external memory card reader. But even those are much less easy to use than the current state of the art LX80x0 and LX90x0 flight computers.

I found the LX5000 and LX7000 a bit of a pain to use because it was difficult (if you don't use them often) to remember which button to press to get to a menu, etc. The LX80x0 and LX80x0 solved that issue by having pop-up on-screen button labels. That was a huge improvement to the user-interface.

I fly with an LX9000 and love it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 11:37:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Since I’m on a tear asking things I always wondered about (it’s snowy here) I’ve always wondered what the difference is between the last version of the LX5000 and the LX7000? Was it a marketing decision or were there actual improvements?

Old February 5th 21, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Petersen[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default LX5000 vs LX7000

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 1:03:38 p.m. UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I've repaired and calibrated both LX5000 and LX7000 and LX7007 units. The differences are updates to the hardware - more memory, faster processor, newer hardware design, brighter screen, higher-resolution screen (maybe), etc. The last versions of the LX7007 Pro IGC were much easier to use and load files into and get flight logs out of using an external memory card reader.. But even those are much less easy to use than the current state of the art LX80x0 and LX90x0 flight computers.

I found the LX5000 and LX7000 a bit of a pain to use because it was difficult (if you don't use them often) to remember which button to press to get to a menu, etc. The LX80x0 and LX80x0 solved that issue by having pop-up on-screen button labels. That was a huge improvement to the user-interface.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

I had the misfortune to own an LX7007 IGC PRO. It is the most cogent argument I've come across against gun control. Perhaps the Founders had it in mind with the 2nd amendment?
Old February 5th 21, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner
external usenet poster

Default LX5000 vs LX7000

On 2/5/2021 11:03 AM, Charles Petersen wrote:
On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 1:03:38 p.m. UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I've repaired and calibrated both LX5000 and LX7000 and LX7007 units. The differences are updates to the hardware - more memory, faster processor, newer hardware design, brighter screen, higher-resolution screen (maybe), etc. The last versions of the LX7007 Pro IGC were much easier to use and load files into and get flight logs out of using an external memory card reader. But even those are much less easy to use than the current state of the art LX80x0 and LX90x0 flight computers.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

I had the misfortune to own an LX7007 IGC PRO. It is the most cogent argument I've come across against gun control. Perhaps the Founders had it in mind with the 2nd amendment?

Charles can you tell us what your experience with this instrument was
like, besides your desire to shoot it? :-)

I wonder, is there information anywhere about how many units were sold
of various vario / glide computer models, and how long they remained in
service? Probably not, but I can wish. What happened to those removed
from service? Probably very few are discarded unless they are badly
broken. For those looking to save money, the older models are worth
trying out. In many clubs ancient and annoying IGC flight recorders
(CAI 25, Volkslogger, etc) are still in use because they do work.

All I know is that a few models have a good reputation, even a
following. E.g., the CAI 302, the Ilec SN10, some version of the
ClearNav? Does the impression people get of a given model depend on
what they used prior to it?

I think many people get used to something and then like it because they
know how to use it well. E.g., I personally find the user interface in
Tophat beats everything else by a mile. How much is that due to its
intrinsic qualities, and how much due to my several years of practice
with it? But I don't remember it being difficult to start out with,
unlike my feeble attempts to use the SN10 in a couple of our club gliders.