Aircraft as mobile homes

Old March 24th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default Aircraft as mobile homes

I was thinking today, first about independent truck drivers, then about those
people who sell (almost) all they own and buy a huge RV. In the case of truck
drivers, they often have expensive, fancy rigs complete with bed, television,
and other amenities that make their trucks a kind of home away from home--or
perhaps even their primary domicile, if they really enjoy driving around the
country. In the case of the RV owners, they give up a fixed residence and
live directly in the comfort of their RVs, as they roll around the nation,
constantly visiting new places.

Then I thought to myself: Why can't an airplane be used the same way? Suppose
you sold your house and various other goods, and bought yourself a really nice
aircraft. Suppose you outfitted it with RV-style amenities (as space
permits), such as a bed, TV, tiny stove or microwave, refrigerator, PC, and so
on. In theory, with the right kind of aircraft (obviously something larger
than a Piper Cub, but it need not necessarily be a Boeing Business Jet), you
could live out of it, flying periodically from place to place and visiting the
country from above (rather than from the highway). You could sleep over at an
airport right in your aircraft, then start out the next day for a new
destination.

Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

I know that if you have a really large aircraft, such as your own 737 or 747,
you obviously can live out of it, if you want, but I wonder if this would also
be true for smaller aircraft--the kind many people might be able to afford if
they were committed to using an aircraft as their domicile.

Old March 24th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
[...]

Are you absolutely sure that you aren't taking noxious substances?

JohnT

Old March 24th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Maxwell

--

Just like most things in the world it has been done. I remember seeing one
of the old flying boats featured on a television program a few years ago. It

I could only guess the only reason you don't see more of it, is that most
people that have the budget to afford it, don't have the desire to travel
that sparsely. If you think one of the old inefficient RVs gets poor gas
mileage, compare it's operation cost to something like a DC3. Not to mention
the initial conversion cost and referb.

Old March 24th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air

On Mar 24, 11:45 am, "Maxwell" wrote:
Just like most things in the world it has been done. I remember seeing one
of the old flying boats featured on a television program a few years ago. It
was purchased by singer Jimmy Buffett, and converted to a island hopping RV.
It think it was a PBY. Very cool project and beats the heck out of a small
sailboat.

Is that the aircraft parked at Universal Studios in Florida?

Old March 24th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Maxwell

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 24, 11:45 am, "Maxwell" wrote:
Just like most things in the world it has been done. I remember seeing
one
of the old flying boats featured on a television program a few years ago.
It
was purchased by singer Jimmy Buffett, and converted to a island hopping
RV.
It think it was a PBY. Very cool project and beats the heck out of a
small
sailboat.

Is that the aircraft parked at Universal Studios in Florida?

I don't know, I haven't heard anything about it since. I just remember it
was a restored twin engine flying boat, that had been outfitted much like a
custom van of the last 60s and early 70s. In good weather it would make a
great island hopper. Just didn't seem very practical unless you had a LOT of
optional income, and a love of flying and the islands. Probably had a frozen
Margarita machine in there somewhere.

I did a quick search on Google and got tons of hits, but most just seemed to
be selling tee shirts, so I didn't spend much time on it. But I would like
to see it featured again. It was probably something I saw on Discovery
Wings.

Old March 24th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Bertie the Bunyip

Why, your own trailer wearing out?

Bertie

Old March 24th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Maxwell

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ps.com...
Why, your own trailer wearing out?

Bertie

Probably wants to get out of his simulated apartment.

Old March 24th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Kev

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Then I thought to myself: Why can't an airplane be used the same way? [...]

Just like most things in the world it has been done. I remember seeing one
of the old flying boats featured on a television program a few years ago. It
was purchased by singer Jimmy Buffett, and converted to a island hopping RV.
It think it was a PBY. Very cool project and beats the heck out of a small
sailboat.

I remember that one, it was also written up in lots of magazines. I
had a friend who was really into PBYs and dreamed of owning such a
"sky RV".

Didn't Popular Science used to also have future-prediction articles on
their cover about large helicopters outfitted as motor homes?

Not to mention, the old Piper ads from the 60's showing a shiny new
plane parked on a grass strip next to a river, with several happy-
looking fisherman / pilots fly-casting in hip boots :-)

Cheers, Kev

Old March 24th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:
Has anyone done this? Is it a practical project, or are there things that
make it impractical or impossible to use an aircraft as a camper or RV?

I thought about something like that: aircraft big enough to carry a
motorbike and be self sufficient; then I ran the numbers:
turns out to be a heck of a lot cheaper to get the smaller aircraft
that fits your travelling needs, and rent a car/bike and a hotel
room at each destination (and you'll be a lot more confortable
overall). Actually, I wonder if the same holds true for the large
RV as well.

--Sylvain
Old March 24th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

Not to mention, the old Piper ads from the 60's showing a shiny new
plane parked on a grass strip next to a river, with several happy-
looking fisherman / pilots fly-casting in hip boots :-)

Sounds like they had it backwards. I can see someone wanting to fly and using
a $100 hamburger as an excuse to do so, but wanting to fish and getting a
private pilot's license just to get to the lake? I don't think so.