About Acellerated Courses for Private

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 13th 04, 04:16 AM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
I held off longer than I thought I would before jumping into the pool. I
once taught a student in 31 days to his PP rating. Acelerated? No! He had
money, time and motivation. I had time. We flew twice a day, three times a
week for four weeks. He failed the flight test on the thirtieth day due to
crosswind landings. We had flown the entire month without have to make a
cross wind landing. We went up immediately after the failure and he passed
the next day. Two weeks later he added his heliocopter rating.

I do not teach to private pilot standards of the PTS because they are
minimums. In fact all FAA requirements and standards are minimums and that
is not the way any CFI should teach. Prior to the FAA requiring three hours
night experience, etc. I taught my students over ten hours and never
counted landings or distance.
I took them on a night flight S.F. Bay tourl as well as a multiple airport
flight into the foot hills of the Sierras. Even now I take my students into
ten different airports to get their 50 mile distance and ten landings The
FAA minimums for night are minimums.

I have always taught my students SVFR procedues and allowed them to fly SVFR
until the FAA stepped in and said no student SVFR. I have lost count of the
number of pilots I have introduced to the desirablity of being capable of
SVFR flight. SVFR is not something you want to happen for the first time to
you without any training or experience. Again, the FAA minimums for SVFR
are non-existent from the flight program.

The above instructional areas can not take place in an accelerated program.
My student do not solo in less than 20 hours. In those hours they have
learned all procedures for arrival and departure procedures at airports in
four different quadrants from the home field. Prior to 9/11 my students had
usually spent two hours at a radar facility and another two hours at a
Flilght Service Station and every third flight included a tower visit. The
greatest single problem my students have is when ATC expects their procedure
skills to equal their raidio skills. Student flying is not any safer since
9/11 in my opinion.

Finally, I am with Dudley 100%
Gene Whitt

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

"m pautz" wrote in message

Joe Johnson wrote:

I agree with everything except the spelling of accelerated g

Proof of the premise.

He took an *acellerated* typeing course.

typeing??? :-))))

DH

Pilot Courses John Stevens Piloting 1 April 30th 04 09:11 PM
Best GA Pilot Continuing Education Courses O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 7 January 2nd 04 07:54 PM
instrument courses Tony Woolner Piloting 0 November 9th 03 12:31 AM
instrument courses ArtP Piloting 0 November 8th 03 01:02 PM
Wanted: Experienced CFIIs to Teach 10-day IFR Rating Courses near Pittsburgh Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 1st 03 01:50 AM