Strike Fighter Squadron OPTEMPO factors

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25th 05, 12:38 PM

Default Strike Fighter Squadron OPTEMPO factors

Hello,

The weekend comes, but I think it might be interesting: I've thought
about several factors which could determine the capability of a Strike
Fighter Squadron to perform high tempo operations, or a large number of
sorties for a short time. Maybe you know something that I do not know,
or have some other ideas? The following example is for a carrier-based
F/A-18E/F squadron, built on the rule "the more of something you have,
the more sorties you can generate"...

1) The number of aircraft per a squadron (now about 12 F/A-18E or 14
F/A-18F).

Some official sources say the number of aircraft per squadron would
decrease to 10, but I can see it concerns only future F-35B/C (JSF)
squadrons.

More aircraft give more flexibility (some of them may be permanently
configured as recce or tankers), and greater margin for possible
operational losses.

2) The number of aircrews (pilots, WSOs) in a squadron (16 pilots for a
12-plane F/A-18A/C squadron?).

3) The number of maintenance people for a squadron (244 men for an
F/A-18A squadron, IIRC).

4) Aircraft carrier flight deck/hangar deck issues:
- number of people for the "roof" and "hanger",
- number and availability of workshops/maintenance devices,
- issues connected with the flight deck itself and/or the air plan.

I've heard there was such an experiment made aboard USS Nimitz, when
additional people ferried to the carrier in the 5th Fleet AOR make it
possible to "wind-up" the tempo of air operations.

Also, I guess that a failed aircraft elevator or a broken cat can spoil
you the whole day...

5) Availability of aircraft "consumables" on board of a carrier, that
is:
- JP-5 fuel,
- lubricants,
- LOX,
and so on...

6) Availability of aircraft "expendables" aboard a carrier:
- various external ordnance and modification kits (in case of modular
weapons as JDAM or Paveway)

In the WWII on the Pacific the ship's ordnance stock could be tailored
for the mission - for example, there were less torpedos and more HVARs
close to the end of the war...

- gun ammo, chaff, flare,
- missile adapters, multiple bomb racks etc.
- weapon pylons (in "clean" configuration removed),
- external fuel tanks (I guess every squadron brings aboard their own
ones?),
- buddy refueling stores (4 per a squadron?),
- ATFLIR pods,

AFAIK F-14 squadrons used to have 6 LANTIRN pods each, I am not sure
how it can be with F/A-18s. I've just learnt the Navy is going to buy
about 574 ATFLIRs, so it looks like every deployed F/A-18A+/C/E/F
having its own navigation/targeting pod...

- SHARP pods,

Again, F-14 squadrons had 3 TARPS pods - so, also 3 SHARPs for an
F/A-18F squadron (F/A-18E can carry the pod also, but is not expected
to fulfill the recce mission).

- other pods, including ECM (this issue will appear when EA-18G with
their ALQ-228 and ALQ-99 comes into service.

What do you think about? How it is in other services?

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo