Did you ever give up on an IR?

Old November 18th 03, 06:07 PM
No Such User

Default Did you ever give up on an IR?

I wonder if I have what it takes to get an instrument rating. I can fly
just fine when the air is smooth, but if there's any turbulence I can
last at most two minutes before I have to choose between taking off the
hood or losing my lunch. The general consensus seems to be that this
will go away eventually, but I haven't seen any sign of it.

So to all those pilots out there, how many of you gave up on an IR because
of motion sickness? How many of you started out getting queasy but
eventually got over it?

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating, high-carb
eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

Old November 18th 03, 06:42 PM
John T

"No Such User" wrote in message

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating,
high-carb eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

Have you flown in actual conditions? If so, how did you fare compared to
the hood? My experience has been that flying in actual is easier for me
than flying with the hood.

Is taking Dramamine and similar drugs not an option? I haven't read the
labels, but Dramamine has worked well for family members who are prone to
motion sickness.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 18th 03, 06:47 PM
Jim

Try several short flights and landing just as soon as you start feeling
queezy. I did all my IR work in Wisconsin, the winter, without a coat, and
with the heat OFF. That was the only way I could get through it. My
instructor froze his ass, but I was fine. Coldness still works for me, any
time I feel the least bit queezy, the heat and my coat go off. It happened
just last week doing rudder excersises in a Super Cub, even though the
outside air temp was 20 degrees, once I got my coat off and the heat off, I
was fine.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 18th 03, 08:17 PM
Maule Driver

"No Such User" wrote in message
I wonder if I have what it takes to get an instrument rating. I can fly
just fine when the air is smooth, but if there's any turbulence I can
last at most two minutes before I have to choose between taking off the
hood or losing my lunch. The general consensus seems to be that this
will go away eventually, but I haven't seen any sign of it.

So to all those pilots out there, how many of you gave up on an IR because
of motion sickness? How many of you started out getting queasy but
eventually got over it?

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating, high-carb
eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

I've had some long term problems with motion sickness. Only occassionally
under the hood in hot and bumby conditions. Never in actual.

Dramamine works but dull headedness may be a problem. Scopalomine patches
worked real well for me with no apparent side effects. I hear they may be
back on the market (?). If I was glider flying again I would scour the
world and find a lifetime supply. None of the rest of the stuff ever helped
me.

I definitely developed some psychological problems associated with motion
sickness. Certain kinds of weather would upset my stomach before I took
off. Having an effective treatment (Scopalomine) seemed to let me get past
the anticipation of air sickness. Hope that hasn't happened to you.
Perhaps try a different hood, different head position or try to get some
actual just to show that it might be easier than the hood. Confidence helps
but if you were like me, a bag is best.

Old November 18th 03, 09:39 PM
Jay Honeck

It happened
just last week doing rudder excersises in a Super Cub, even though the
outside air temp was 20 degrees, once I got my coat off and the heat off,

was fine.

The REAL issue here is: How the heck did you get your coat off while flying
a Cub?

Last time I was in a Cub, it was pretty tight in there -- and I was wearing
a T-shirt and shorts, with the door off! I can't imagine squirming out of a
coat while airborne...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 03, 09:56 PM
Jim

I was getting some duel, so my instructor flew from the back seat.

Headset off, unzip coat, touch chin to chest, reach straight back over
shoulders and grab the back of your coat, pull the back of your coat up and
forward over your head so now you have your arms still in the sleeves and
are looking at the back of your coat with the collar between your wrists.
Now just pull your arms out of the sleeves and you have the coat in your
lap. Got it? )

Works while driving too, if you can get your wife to hold the wheel

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 18th 03, 10:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Headset off, unzip coat, touch chin to chest, reach straight back over
shoulders and grab the back of your coat, pull the back of your coat up

and
forward over your head so now you have your arms still in the sleeves and
are looking at the back of your coat with the collar between your wrists.

Ah, you must be younger than me. The last time I tried that maneuver in
flight, I got the coat over my head and was stricken with a terrible muscle
cramp in my right shoulder.

So there we were, flying high over the Midwest, Mary at the yoke (and
laughing hysterically, BTW), as I'm dying in agony with my coat stuck over
my head, unable to move...

It wasn't pretty... I now make sure my coat is OFF before departure. ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 19th 03, 02:23 AM
EDR

In article 2nxub.240040$Tr4.703005@attbi_s03, Jay Honeck
wrote:

Headset off, unzip coat, touch chin to chest, reach straight back over
shoulders and grab the back of your coat, pull the back of your coat up

and
forward over your head so now you have your arms still in the sleeves and
are looking at the back of your coat with the collar between your wrists.

Ah, you must be younger than me. The last time I tried that maneuver in
flight, I got the coat over my head and was stricken with a terrible muscle
cramp in my right shoulder.

So there we were, flying high over the Midwest, Mary at the yoke (and
laughing hysterically, BTW), as I'm dying in agony with my coat stuck over
my head, unable to move...

It wasn't pretty... I now make sure my coat is OFF before departure. ;-)

You guys make taking a coat off too difficult.
All on has to do is reach behind with one arm, grab the cuff of the
opposite sleeve and pull your arm out. Reach around behind you with the
unsleeved arm, grab the cuff and pull the other arm out of the sleeve.
Old November 19th 03, 02:50 AM
Lynn Melrose

John T wrote:

"No Such User" wrote in message

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating,
high-carb eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

Have you flown in actual conditions? If so, how did you fare compared to
the hood? My experience has been that flying in actual is easier for me
than flying with the hood.

Is taking Dramamine and similar drugs not an option? I haven't read the
labels, but Dramamine has worked well for family members who are prone to
motion sickness.

It's certainly not an option when you exercising the privileges of your
medical certificate.

Old November 19th 03, 02:58 AM
Michelle P

Try it without the hood on.

If it still bothers you try seeing your Ear Nose and Throat.

The hood causes me problems when I am in training. I have over two
hundred Instrument hours and I still hate the hood. Try the Jepp Flip up
"Glasses" They seem to be better for me.

Michelle

No Such User wrote:

I wonder if I have what it takes to get an instrument rating. I can fly
just fine when the air is smooth, but if there's any turbulence I can
last at most two minutes before I have to choose between taking off the
hood or losing my lunch. The general consensus seems to be that this
will go away eventually, but I haven't seen any sign of it.

So to all those pilots out there, how many of you gave up on an IR because
of motion sickness? How many of you started out getting queasy but
eventually got over it?

Also, in case you're tempted to offer your home remedy, I've already
tried the usual tricks, e.g., ginger, light eating, no eating, high-carb
eating, the electric wrist-strap gizmo. Nothing helps.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity