A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jantar SZD 48 "Jantar Std 2" - wing profile templates

Old November 22nd 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Stade[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Jantar SZD 48 "Jantar Std 2" - wing profile templates

I am looking for wing profile data for the Jantar SZD 48 Std 2. Anyone have that information?
Thanks
Phil
Old November 24th 17, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Stade[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 3:15:11 PM UTC-7, Phil Stade wrote:
I am looking for wing profile data for the Jantar SZD 48 Std 2. Anyone have that information?
Thanks
Phil

Our Jantar is Serial W-856 built in 1984. The Flight Manual from Jantar Serial B-1049 says that the wing profile is NN8. Some sources indicate a Wortmann profile. Is there another way of determining the profile used on W-856?
Thanks
Phil
Old November 28th 17, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:33:39 PM UTC-8, Phil Stade wrote:
Is there another way of determining the profile used on W-856?

I've collected profiles from half a dozen airplanes and gliders, and in general there seems to be only a passing resemblance between what is manufactured and its published coordinate sets. Of course, it is much better these days with the increasing use of very stable CNC-cut molds. But even as recently as the mid 1990s you could find new gliders with very marked differences not only between published and actual coordinates, but even between right and left wings.

If you really want to know what's there, your best bet is to extract your own coordinate set. One such method is described in my 2006 Update called Steal This Airfoil:

http://www.hpaircraft.net/hp-24/upda...ecember_06.htm

Thanks, Bob K.

Old November 28th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Bob,

Define "straight and square". Most wings have leading edges that are swept back and/or trailing edges that are swept forward. In fact, unless it's a constant chord wing (a la the old HP-10), the leading and trailing edges aren't parallel. And neither one may be perpendicular to axis of the fuselage (i.e., direction of flight). So how to align the foam core board on which you trace the airfoil?

I guess if all you're doing is creating templates to use during refinishing, it doesn't matter how you align it so long as you can duplicate the same alignment after the old gel coat is stripped off and new gel coat is applied. In that case, aligning the "chord" perpendicular to the leading edge probably works fine. But is that true if you're really trying to pull coordinates?

Chip Bearden
Old November 28th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 10:31:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Bob,

Define "straight and square". Most wings have leading edges
that are swept back and/or trailing edges that are swept forward.

Parallel with the fuselage longitudinal axis, orthogonal to the plane containing the leading and trailing edges. In the absence of sweep reference, splitting the difference between the leading and trailing edges will get you plenty close enough. Which is to say, closer than the difference between the right and left wings on your glider.

--Bob K.

Old November 28th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 11:49:12 AM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Bob,

Parallel with the fuselage longitudinal axis, orthogonal to the plane containing the leading and trailing edges. In the absence of sweep reference, splitting the difference between the leading and trailing edges will get you plenty close enough. Which is to say, closer than the difference between the right and left wings on your glider.

--Bob K.

A few years ago Robert Mudd and I had CNC templates made for a PIK 20B according to the airfoils used and blended from root to tip. I do not think there was one station that had the correct airfoil shape and one wing did not agree with the other as far as deviations that were fairly large.

Mike
Old November 28th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Mike,

Were the flying qualities and performance noticeably improved after
profiling the wings?

On 11/28/2017 12:33 PM, Mike C wrote:
Bob,

--Bob K.

A few years ago Robert Mudd and I had CNC templates made for a PIK 20B according to the airfoils used and blended from root to tip. I do not think there was one station that had the correct airfoil shape and one wing did not agree with the other as far as deviations that were fairly large.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 7th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:54:15 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Mike,

Were the flying qualities and performance noticeably improved after
profiling the wings?

On 11/28/2017 12:33 PM, Mike C wrote:
Bob,

--Bob K.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

No idea it was a project that remains unfinished in it's trailer.

Mike
Old June 9th 20, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 11:15:11 PM UTC+1, Phil Stade wrote:
Thanks
Phil

It is called NN-8. Cl(alpha) can be found in
INFLUENCE OF MINIFLAPS ON SAILPLANE FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS
Peep LAUK1, Karl-Eerik UNT

AVIATION
ISSN 1648-7788 / eISSN 1822-41802015 Volume 19(3): doi:10.3846/16487788.2015.1104793

pages 105–111 Fig.12.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cteristics.pdf