A36 crash

Old April 21st 05, 12:38 PM
Markus Voget

"Dan Luke" wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote:
Bet that was the dealer who sold him the plane.

Must be a hell of a feeling for those folks, going from being thrilled
with the sale to this.

Extra Aircraft of Germany had an even worse experience some years ago when
their initial customer for the Extra 400 aircraft stalled and crashed on
the first flight away from the factory. The cause was later determined as
"flight in IMC in an unfamiliar aircraft placed excessive demands on the
pilot" (my translation) - over-confidence at its best/worst. The autopilot
functioned differently from the pilot's previous aircraft, and this might
have led him into the stall.

For those who can read German, the investigation report is he
http://www.bfu-web.de/berichte/98_3x329dub.pdf

Greetings,
Markus
Old April 22nd 05, 07:01 AM
G. Sylvester

Markus Voget wrote:
Extra Aircraft of Germany had an even worse experience some years ago when
their initial customer for the Extra 400 aircraft stalled and crashed on
the first flight away from the factory. The cause was later determined as
"flight in IMC in an unfamiliar aircraft placed excessive demands on the
pilot" (my translation) - over-confidence at its best/worst. The autopilot
functioned differently from the pilot's previous aircraft, and this might
have led him into the stall.

For those who can read German, the investigation report is he
http://www.bfu-web.de/berichte/98_3x329dub.pdf

That can also be translated as 'plane' stupid. Brand new airplane
and the guy is taking off into IMC. Even if you are familiar
with the plane, a brand new airplane I'd guess is just like a house or
car or anything else, there will be squawks. Try everything
out in VMC where you can test things without having to worry
about IMC.

Gerald
Old April 22nd 05, 11:37 AM
Peter Clark

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:01:16 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

That can also be translated as 'plane' stupid. Brand new airplane
and the guy is taking off into IMC. Even if you are familiar
with the plane, a brand new airplane I'd guess is just like a house or
car or anything else, there will be squawks. Try everything
out in VMC where you can test things without having to worry
about IMC.

In fairness, I would have hoped they did a VMC delivery flight and
systems checkout before signing the paperwork accepting the aircraft..

Old April 22nd 05, 07:21 PM
kontiki

Dan Luke wrote:
This is a flying newsgroup where issues pertinent to the world of (mostly)
private airplanes are discussed. The loss of a $600k single-engine, piston
airplane is a significant event in this small world. It raises issues that
are on topic in this forum, that's why I posted the link and put it in the
context I did.

Exactly. The issues that this incident brings to light beyond the tragic deaths,
(which happen every single day X100 on the highways of this country) are what
not "offended' by your post.

update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 03:38 PM
Homebuilt Airplane Crash Harry O Home Built 1 November 15th 04 04:40 AM
Bizzare findings of Flight 93 crash in PA on 9-11 Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Military Aviation 38 April 12th 04 08:10 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 04:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 05:34 PM