Lowrance Airmap 100 databse load

Old October 27th 05, 03:28 PM

Default Lowrance Airmap 100 databse load

Folks,

I have a Lowrance Airmap 100 and a new (not current, but close)
database. I've tried to load the database, but the jeppson.exe program
says "Must be run from the floppy drive". The problem is that the
database file is too large for a 1.44MB floppy. I've never done this
before, so can anybody walk me through it?

John Stevens

Old October 27th 05, 04:22 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I have a Lowrance Airmap 100 and a new (not current, but close)
database. I've tried to load the database, but the jeppson.exe program
says "Must be run from the floppy drive". The problem is that the
database file is too large for a 1.44MB floppy. I've never done this
before, so can anybody walk me through it?

John Stevens

Sorry I can't help but there has to be a work around. I and many others have
computers that don't even have floppy drives.

Old October 27th 05, 10:17 PM
Kyler Laird

If the Lowrance airmap 100 was designed to read data from a floppy
disk, there is nothing that you can do.

I really hate proprietary crap like this.

I'd be tempted to run it under a DOS emulator and feed it something
that looks like a 2.88MB floppy.

--kyler
Old October 27th 05, 10:54 PM
pgbnh

To the OP - I think you will find that if you follow the directions in the
'Readme.txt' on the floppy that you have, and first run 'fixflop.exe' then
you will indeed be able to update the 100.
You are correct - the jeppdata.low file is 1.5m. I think 'fixflop.exe' makes
it work

Unless you have the database and it is NOT on a floppy. Which is how it is
distributed.

Old October 28th 05, 02:33 PM

pgbnh wrote:
To the OP - I think you will find that if you follow the directions in the
'Readme.txt' on the floppy that you have, and first run 'fixflop.exe' then
you will indeed be able to update the 100.
You are correct - the jeppdata.low file is 1.5m. I think 'fixflop.exe' makes
it work

Unless you have the database and it is NOT on a floppy. Which is how it is
distributed.

I in fact have it as a .zip file. I'm trying to get it on a floppy to
update my lowrance. I use it only for VFR and did not want to spend the
money to upgrade to the 1000 or 500 at this point in my training, but I
missed the last opportunity to update and the database in mine is from
2001. I guess I am cheating a little bit, but I contacted Lowrance to
see if I could buy the last database that 'fit' in the Airmap 100 and
they don't have any more.

John

Old October 29th 05, 10:56 AM
Ron Lee

I in fact have it as a .zip file. I'm trying to get it on a floppy to
update my lowrance. I use it only for VFR and did not want to spend the
money to upgrade to the 1000 or 500 at this point in my training, but I
missed the last opportunity to update and the database in mine is from
2001. I guess I am cheating a little bit, but I contacted Lowrance to
see if I could buy the last database that 'fit' in the Airmap 100 and
they don't have any more.

John

I am also trying to update my 100 (around 1998 databse) and would like
to get the most recent database for which a floppy exists. The
upgrade program offers $100 for an Airmap 100. I do not consider that
generous. My Airmap 100 is perfectly functional although the database
is not the best now.

Ron Lee
Old November 25th 09, 09:25 PM
Joe Gores Joe Gores is offline
Junior Member

I am also looking for a database update for my Airmap 100. Does anyone have a more recent JEPPDATA.LOW file. Mine is dated 1999. I have the ability to make a working copy of your disk for you or for me.

If your computer has a floppy drive, you can format a blank floppy disk to 1.8MB using FdFormat.exe or fdFormat 1.8 or similar programs: ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/m...il/fdfrm18.zip

You can create a virtual floppy drive with a capacity of 2.88MB using a program called "VFD Control Panel". It can be download from http://freehacking.org/toolz/geektoo...d21-080206.zip or http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.htmlelse or else search for vfd21-080206.zip. VFD Control Panel will create a file representing a virtual floppy disk to use with the virtual floppy drive.

The copy protection of the Lowrance program checks the A drive Volume Serial Number to make sure that the original floppy disk is being used and not a copy. Regardless of whether you use a virtual floppy disk formatted to 2.88MB or an actual floppy drive with a disk formatted to 1.8MB, it is necessary to change the floppy disk serial number to match the serial number of the original Lowrance floppy disk that you own. Do that from the command prompt as shown below.

Change Floppy Serial Numbers
Use DEBUG to change data on the disk. Make sure that you type the spaces between the digits as shown below.

This example shows how to set the serial number for the disk in the A: drive to any value. Notice the numbers you enter (2F 01 99 10) are mirrored from the serial number you'll get. This is just an example. You must use the serial number on your original Lowrance floppy disk.
C:\debug
-L 0 0 0 1
-E 26 29 2F 01 99 10
-W 0 0 0 1