Interview with (aviation legend) Bob Hoover

Old October 4th 04, 06:04 AM
Paul Lips

Default Interview with (aviation legend) Bob Hoover

I promise you will learn something!

Part I
http://www.centennialjournal.com/art...iew.php?ID=439
Part II
http://www.centennialjournal.com/art...iew.php?ID=445
Part III
http://www.centennialjournal.com/art...iew.php?ID=451

We would love to hear what you learned and what you liked reading about Bob
Hoover.

www.AirportJournals.com

Old October 5th 04, 12:04 AM
Dave Cobb

Great stuff Paul! I'm about half way through the 2nd article now.

Dave
Old October 5th 04, 01:58 AM
Dave

I just finished reading every word of all three articles...

Wunnerful!

Hat is off....

Dave

Old October 6th 04, 03:09 PM
Maule Driver

It's a great book. Looks like all the articles are directly from it -
suggest everyone interested get it - (Bob is holding the book in the pic).

You look at the skinny ol' guy - or at the skinny young guy - and it's hard
to imagine much could be there. Then you read the WWII accounts and you sit
up a bit....

But then you see his Shrike performance. The most mind blowing piece of
flying I've ever seen - bar none. Too bad it can only be seen on tape - I'm
sorry for those of you that missed it!

Old October 6th 04, 03:58 PM
Jay Honeck

But then you see his Shrike performance. The most mind blowing piece of
flying I've ever seen - bar none. Too bad it can only be seen on tape -
I'm
sorry for those of you that missed it!

Every year, at OSH, I remind my 14-year old son of Bob's amazing
performances -- lest he forget that, as a younger boy, he saw Hoover fly
the Shrike routine.

THAT is something he'll be able to tell his grand-kids, someday...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 04, 11:33 PM
Dave

Alas... I will never see it...unless on tape...

Anyone know where to get the video?

I would LOVE to see it, if only on tape...

Dave

Old October 6th 04, 11:53 PM
Jay Honeck

I would LOVE to see it, if only on tape...

You might try:

http://www.skyfirevideo.com/aviation...oovermain.html
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 04, 03:12 AM
vincent p. norris

But then you see his Shrike performance. The most mind blowing piece of
flying I've ever seen - bar none. Too bad it can only be seen on tape - I'm
sorry for those of you that missed it!

Thirty or so years ago, I went to the Reading (PA) Air Show with a
couple of friends, one of whom owned an air-conditioned motor home.

It was beastly hot and humid, as it often is in SE PA in the summer.
One of my friends, who happened to own a P-51, went up to Bob Hoover
and engaged him in some P-51 chat, and then said, "We have an
air-conditioned motor home. How would you like to come have lunch
with us?

In the sweltering heat, Bob decided that was an offer he'd be foolish
to refuse. He had lunch with us the next day, too. Despite all his
fame, he was a "regular guy."

My friend pulled the same stunt at OSH, inviting Pappy Boyington (who
was there selling his book) to have lunch with us. He had lunch with
us for the rest of the week.

I guess the moral is, don't be bashful about asking.

vince norris
Old October 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Matt Whiting

vincent p. norris wrote:

[...]

I thought the moral was "don't go to an airshow without an air
conditioned motor home!"

I was fortunate enough to see Bob fly two different times. The first
was at an airshow at Elmira, NY in the late 70s and the other was at
Williamsport, PA in probably the mid 80s. Absolutely impressive what he
could do.

Matt

Old October 9th 04, 01:55 AM
Maule Driver

Yeah, it was about 30 years ago that I saw him at Reading.... maybe the same
show. I remember that someone flew a glider acro routine before Bob came
up. Very nice. First time seeing that. Then Bob flew the P51 - nice but
it's a P51... then the Shrike. JC! The more you knew, the more it blew you
away. And then for the clueless, the dead stick pass down the valley on the
other side of the runway, out of sight of the audience. Gasp!

Thanks for keeping him cool and fed.

I assume there are tapes - I'd like one if anyone knows where.