Oxygen System for Discus b

Old June 7th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

Default Oxygen System for Discus b

Hi,

I am flying a certified Discus b in the US. I am looking for ideas on what kind of oxygen cylinder I can install in my ship. Ideally, I would not like to replace the existing mount. Unfortunately Mountain High systems don't fit. Does anybody in the US have experience with this kind of mount and the options available?

Here are a few pics of my current setup:

https://goo.gl/photos/5Uvf4AjNKHNHEhxM7

Thanks,

Thomas
Old June 7th 16, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-7, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
Hi,

I am flying a certified Discus b in the US. I am looking for ideas on what kind of oxygen cylinder I can install in my ship. Ideally, I would not like to replace the existing mount. Unfortunately Mountain High systems don't fit. Does anybody in the US have experience with this kind of mount and the options available?

Here are a few pics of my current setup:

https://goo.gl/photos/5Uvf4AjNKHNHEhxM7

Thanks,

Thomas

Talk to S-H reps Heinz or Monty.
http://mandhsoaring.com/index.html
Jim
Old June 7th 16, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Mountain High has a wide variety of oxygen bottles. Check their website
and you might find one that fits.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 7th 16, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

I have experience, but you may not like the answer. I replaced the front mount with one I had hand made to fit my Mountain High bottle. Works just great. The rear mount is adjustable, so it fits lots of different bottles. The machinist who did it for me retired though.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old June 7th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert M

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 7:55:57 PM UTC-6, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
Hi,

I am flying a certified Discus b in the US. I am looking for ideas on what kind of oxygen cylinder I can install in my ship. Ideally, I would not like to replace the existing mount. Unfortunately Mountain High systems don't fit. Does anybody in the US have experience with this kind of mount and the options available?

Here are a few pics of my current setup:

https://goo.gl/photos/5Uvf4AjNKHNHEhxM7

Thanks,

Thomas

The SH front bottle mount is made to fit a steel cylinder not an aluminum one. The steel one have an neck that fits in the front mount. Aluminum cylinders do not have a neck. SH should sell an adapter but I do not think they do. Since your glider is type certificated you need to be very careful about modifications to anything.

Robert Mudd
Composite Aircraft Repair
Moriarty, New Mexico
Old June 9th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 5:42:31 AM UTC-7, Robert M wrote:
...Since your glider is type certificated you need to be very careful
about modifications to anything.

Note that here in the US, there are provisions for the installation of owner-produced parts installed in certificated aircraft by A&P mechanics. This article describes the process, but serves as a cautionary tale about doing it carefully:

http://150cessna.tripod.com/parts.html

Also, I helped install an aluminum E-size cylinder last winter, and I can say that at least some of them do have necks. But Robert Mudd raises a good point that they are not as long or as sharply defined as on the older steel cylinders.

Thanks, Bob K.

Oxygen system in ASW-27 ASG-29 [email protected] Soaring 15 September 2nd 15 09:08 PM
FS Twin Oxygen System NG Soaring 2 March 4th 14 01:07 AM
WTB: Single Place MH EDS Oxygen system Evan Ludeman[_4_] Soaring 1 May 27th 13 12:29 AM
PW-5 Oxygen System pedalermike Soaring 3 February 14th 08 04:56 AM
Oxygen System for sale [email protected] Soaring 1 December 2nd 06 06:47 AM