Seminole Lake Accident

Old January 2nd 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Seminole Lake Accident

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 2:43:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Seminole Lake Gliderport had another accident. From what the pictures look like, the left wing of their Blanik L-23 was demolished from mid wing where it bent the leading edge all the way back to the spar.

Not sure what to make of this, if it will be covered up, or will there be an NTSB report. Probably more money wired from the offshore accounts will keep the operation afloat while they are down a glider.

I sure hope everyone is ok from the accident. Anyone have details of the specifics?

If you look on the FAA website, you will see that this has been investigated, and a report will be issued. In fact, the FAA entered it into the system twice. Once on the 26th, and again on the 29th.

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?p=100:93:0::NO:::

This is the link to the FAA Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing (ASIAS) page. If you are concerned that any future accident or incident you hear about might just be "brushed under the rug", you might look there to see what is going on before pointing fingers. This information was available 5 days before your post.

Best to you in the new year,

Steve Leonard
Old January 2nd 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

As a teen absorbing everything I could about soaring, George Moffat became a hero of mine. Years later, after lying to the owner of SLG (Knut) to fly in my first contest (2003 Seniors), we had adjoining rooms and I invited him to join my wife and I for dinner after a practice day. He accepted to my delight because later he would give a complete detailed account of......completing his return to earth by crashing into and remaining in a tree some 20' above the ground while on final approach. He struck lt off as an 'incompetent bad break'. Later , in between writing boring English literature (sorry George!), he would become 2 time World Champion .
My point is how is the pilot doing who suffered the accident? Rich, tell the pilot to pay the bill, wipe off the dust, and get back in the cockpit. If a World Champion and many others had to crash to get better, well hell it's part aviation. Any landing you and observers can walk away from is a good landing, right?
Accidents happen, but embarrassment lingers. Encouragement is our duty.

Old January 2nd 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Yes, but with some careful judgement in between as to those who ought be encouraged after an accident and those who should not be. Not everyone makes a good pilot.

Old January 2nd 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:04:54 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
Uli,

The pilot over corrected a line up issue on the 200 ft wide runway. Wind was below 5 mph out of the southwest. The aircraft was moving to the right fairly rapidly and the right wing contacted the hangar which spun the glider around 180 degrees. The left wing then contacted a support post in the same hangar. The FAA has concluded their investigation and a report was sent to the NTSB. Thought the New Year would finally be the year where people looked at the good in the world and not shouting from the pulpits behind anonymous cloaks of invisibility.

Rich,
Happy New Year to you, too.
Thanks for the enlightenment! You are completely missing the point of my comment. In my paying job as well as in the function I hold in our club, I am always interested in answering the 'how did that happen?' question!
Did I judge the ability or performance of the pilot? Did I say anything negative about him/her? As I stated initially, there had to be more to that story since things didn't add up from the info that was provided and there was. Now it makes sense. There is no anonymous cloak of invisibility here; I am using my real name and not some made-up junk. Accidents/incidents like this need to be discussed as a learning opportunity; nothing more, nothing less!
Uli
'AS'
Old January 2nd 18, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Rich was not referring to you Uli, calm down.
Eat a cookie.

Old January 2nd 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:10:38 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
[...]

Hi Uli,

Rich's comment about anonymous posting was referring to the anonymous poster " who started off the thread.
Old January 3rd 18, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 5:14:52 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
[...]

Ahh - got it! Going for another cookie ....
Uli
Old January 3rd 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

You,

Still I apologize because my unfortunate lapse of civility was misinterpreted. Yes I was talking about ASW-20. I have enjoyed my relationships in the glider community. Flying and sometimes racing sailplanes brings me a lot of joy. Even if some non glider pilots want to throw mud. The act of flying doesn’t necessarily make you a pilot. BTW, the young pilot who did have the accident is continuing with their training. They are very determined and we feel certain a rating is in the near future.
Sincerely,
Rich
Old January 3rd 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Sounds to me like another case of a student grabbing the trim instead of the brake when trying to "park" the glider off the side of the runway.

Witnessed a japanese student do this and hit the gazebo and trees destroying the last blanik.

I guess there isn't going to be anything left for me to fly over there since the grob will always be in use.

Old January 3rd 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 3:43:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Seminole Lake Gliderport had another accident. From what the pictures look like, the left wing of their Blanik L-23 was demolished from mid wing where it bent the leading edge all the way back to the spar.

Not sure what to make of this, if it will be covered up, or will there be an NTSB report. Probably more money wired from the offshore accounts will keep the operation afloat while they are down a glider.

I sure hope everyone is ok from the accident. Anyone have details of the specifics?

use a different fake email. you are not worthy of the ASW20.