Fuel pump fittings

Old September 29th 04, 02:12 AM
Evan Carew

Default Fuel pump fittings

Old September 29th 04, 03:10 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Evan Carew wrote:

Normally, fuel pumps have NPT ports, so you uce AN with the appropriate
NPT size on one end.
Old September 29th 04, 04:36 AM
Dave Hyde

Evan Carew wrote...

Do I need to get those special (straight thread) fittings for my fuel
pump or are the regular NPT AN fittings good enough.

I suppose it depends on what kind of fuel pump you're
referring to. If it's the Delco mechanical pump
on tons o' Lycomings, you need special fittings.
See:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...57-268-372&bro
wse=engines&product=pump-fittings

Or if that gets chppoed, go to www.vansaircraft.com,
find the accessory catalog, and search for fuelpump fittings.

Dave 'thread head' Hyde

Old September 29th 04, 01:48 PM
jls

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
Evan Carew wrote...

Do I need to get those special (straight thread) fittings for my fuel
pump or are the regular NPT AN fittings good enough.

I suppose it depends on what kind of fuel pump you're
referring to. If it's the Delco mechanical pump
on tons o' Lycomings, you need special fittings.
See:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...57-268-372&bro
wse=engines&product=pump-fittings

Or if that gets chppoed,

Well, not chppoed but chipotled maybe

Old September 30th 04, 01:02 AM
Evan Carew

Old September 30th 04, 06:35 AM
Jerry J. Wass

Have you tried an AN fitting in the hole--if it's recessed for an "O"
ring then use
an AN union + O-ring---may have to cut off the flare if it won't go all
the way in.
(they make special fittings like this,(esp. for hydraulic pumps) but I
never have one when I need it

Old September 30th 04, 11:11 PM
Evan Carew

Old October 1st 04, 01:22 AM
Dave Hyde

Evan Carew wrote...

What kind of o-ring is used?

*sigh*

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ycfuelpump.php
See bottom of page.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...641/index.html

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi
and search for 'fuel pump fittings'

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...search-air.cgi
and search for 'fuel pump hardware'

I'm sure there are more.

Dave 'fitting end' Hyde

Old October 1st 04, 01:55 AM
Evan Carew

Old October 1st 04, 03:09 AM
Dave Hyde

Evan Carew wrote...

Yeah, I've been to those exact pages, & will note for the record that
none of those pages mention an o-ring for sale...

You might note that none of the fittings pictured are
simple 37 deg flare to NPT fittings - there's
a wider bearing surface for the O-ring/NPT end.
The Lycoming standard solution does _not_ appear to
be to stuff an O-ring over an NPT fitting, cut down
or otherwise.

Dave 'field mod' Hyde

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Anybody need a fuel transfer pump? Roy Smith Home Built 1 January 5th 04 05:53 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Christen Fuel Pump troubleshooting ShawnD2112 Aerobatics 4 August 17th 03 12:08 PM