Pilot of plane that sparked RAF jets’ sonic boom says he nearly had heart attack when they pulled up alongside - raf typhoon.jpg ...

Old December 4th 19, 01:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Pilot of plane that sparked RAF jets’ sonic boom says he nearly had heart attack when they pulled up alongside - raf typhoon.jpg ...

more at
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/104631...ondon-england/

THE pilot of a plane that sparked RAF sonic boom jets to scramble yesterday has
said he nearly had a heart attack after he spotted the Typhoons heading towards
him.

Steven Giordano, from New Jersey, was left stunned after the jets were deployed
following a loss of communication with the plane travelling from Tel Aviv.

Jet Test pilot, Steven Giodano, told the BBC: "I looked left and about had a
heart attack when I saw one- so close- strobes on and with blueish 'glow strips'
along the side of his fuselage."

"We flashed our landing lights to acknowledge and established radio contact on
"guard"... with the fighters.

"We were already talking to London control at that point. They remained with us
for about five minutes."

Giordano, a former airline pilot and US Marine Corps Reservist, said it had
taken them around 10 minutes to realise there was an issue with the radio which
started somewhere over Germany.

Giordano, from New Jersey, praised the speed with which the RAF scrambled to his
plane's location, telling the BBC: "I applaud them for that."

"MASSIVE BANG"

Thousands across London and the Home Counties were woken by a “massive bang” on
Sunday which was caused by a sonic boom, a noise made when an object travels
faster than the speed of sound.

Brits based in Cambridge, Hertfordshire and across North London reported hearing
what they initially believed to be an explosion.

But Met Police confirmed the noise, which rattled residents at around 4.20am,
was caused by a sonic boom from the speedy fighter jets.

Steven told the BBC: "I looked left and about had a heart attack when I saw one
- so close - strobes on and with blueish 'glow strips' along the side of his
fuselage."

RAF Typhoon fighters were scrambled to intercept a Boeing 767-300 after the
plane "lost communication".

A spokesman for Met Police added: "There is no cause for concern."

Police had earlier confirmed they were looking into the "reports of a loud bang"
- but were not aware of an explosion.

Hertfordshire Fire Control added they are "currently receiving a large number of
calls" from across the whole of the county "regarding a large explosion sound".

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raf typhoon.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	125142  Click image for larger version

Name:	TM-pg25-Map-Jets.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	125143