Israeli Fighter Aces.

Old May 1st 04, 08:16 PM
JDupre5762

Default Israeli Fighter Aces.

I have just recieved the one of the latest books in Osprey's Aircraft of the
Aces series, number 59 Israeli Mirage/Nesher Aces.

I have only just begun reading it but in the captions and list of aces its
states pretty clearly that the number two ace of the Israel Air Force is
Avraham Shalmon with 14.5 total victories.

Other references, notably Peter Mersky's book Israeli Fighter Aces list Yftach
Spector as the number two ace with 15 or 15.5 total victories. The Oprey book
lists with him with only 12.

Why the change? I know that some Israeli aces privately claim higher scores
than officially credited because they are certain they are responsible for
claims that could not be officially confirmed. I understand that this is
especially true of pilots who caused enemy aircraft to crash through manuveur
rather than firing a weapon. Is that the case with Spector or is it due to
further research in claims and losses?

John Dupre'
Old May 3rd 04, 02:31 AM
Guy Alcala

JDupre5762 wrote:

[...]

It's equally possible that it's just a mistake. Even assuming Spector's count has
been decreased (which AFAIK hasn't happened), then Amir Nahumi would presumably
step into the number 2 spot(Mersky lists him at 14, most other sources credit him
with15). Are you sure that the claim wasn't for Shalmon as the number 2
Mirage/Nesher ace? That would be correct, as he would only be behind Giora Even
in that category, while Spector was an ace in both the Mirage and F-4, and Nahumi
in both the F-4 and F-16. Mersky lists Shalmon tied with Asher Snir at 13.5
(vice14.5) total, but Snir got some of his kills in the F-4.

Guy

Old May 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
David Lednicer

I've gone through both books in great detail and have issues with both.
Generally, I think Aloni's is much better and much more reliable.
However, his kill list in the back is missing several pilots and has
incorrect info for several other pilots. I have talked directly to
three of these pilots and tend to trust their own info. Right now, I'm
trying to reconcile all this new info so I can update my web page. I
also understand that the next book in the series will be Aloni's
accounting of F-4 kills.

From: Guy Alcala

The captions and the text in Shlomo Aloni's book Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces
clearly state that Avraham Shalmon is the number 2 scoring ace with 14.5
victories. He doesn't specify Mirage/Nesher though the book and its list of
aces only considers aces that flew the delta wing types. Aloni mentions
Spector as a double ace with 12 victories some of them scored on the Phantom.
The list in the appendices shows Spector with 8 kills on Mirages and only 4 on
the Phantom.
Asher Snir is listed with 13.5 victories the same as in Peter Mersky's book
Israeli Fighter Aces.

I received an e mail from someone calling himself July, apparently responding
to my first post on this thread, who states that the Israel Air Force
Historical Branch is constantly reviewing and updating the status of claims and
losses and that this branch has determined that 3 of Spectors shared claims
should be disallowed because the aircraft involved were already dead, I assume
that means the pilots had ejected, or Spector did not fire the killing shot.
The Historical Branch also credits Spector with only 12.5 victories. The
writer says that Spector does not dispute these findings.

However in the same email the writer offers that Giora Even's score is actually
19 and that Asher Snir's is 17 and Yftach Spector's is 15.5. So I am not any
more informed than before.

If you start to play with the numbers then 3 shared claims equals 1.5 victory
credits and using Spector's previously accepted score he would still have 14
kills or should have always been credited with only 14.

There are other discrepancies in Aloni's book versus Mersky's book or David
Lednicer's List of Attributed Israeli Victories as well such as reducing Oded
Marom from 11 to 9 but increasing Yehuda Koren from 9 to 10.5.

The e mailer also mentions that the Hitorical Branch is coming out in a year or
two with the definitive history of the Mirage in Israeli service. So that at
least will be something to look forward too.

BTW the book Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces is excellent filled with great
photos many of which I have never seen before and filled with lots of
interesting information. I guess the scores of aces will forever be subject to
adjsustments.

John Dupre'
Old May 5th 04, 06:30 AM
Lawrence Nyveen

In article ,
David Lednicer wrote:

I've gone through both books in great detail and have issues with both.
Generally, I think Aloni's is much better and much more reliable.
However, his kill list in the back is missing several pilots and has
incorrect info for several other pilots. I have talked directly to
three of these pilots and tend to trust their own info.

You're trusting fighter pilots to tell the truth???

There I was....

--
Laurie Nyveen da
Editor, Netsurfer Digest

"All we are, basically, are monkeys with car keys."
- Grandma Woody (Northern Exposure)

(Remove nada from Canada to e-mail me. Sorry)
Old May 5th 04, 05:20 PM
David Lednicer

Considering that each has given me a list of officially confirmed and
"I'm sure of it, but it wasn't confirmed" kills, yes (I have listed the
unconfirmed ones with a note that they weren't confirmed).

Old May 6th 04, 03:48 AM
Guy Alcala

JDupre5762 wrote:

snip

The e mailer also mentions that the Hitorical Branch is coming out in a year or
two with the definitive history of the Mirage in Israeli service. So that at
least will be something to look forward too.

BTW the book Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces is excellent filled with great
photos many of which I have never seen before and filled with lots of
interesting information. I guess the scores of aces will forever be subject to
adjsustments.

I know they have been revising: I've read in the past on r.a.m. that they took away
EzerWeizmann's kill some years back - see the ram thread

IAF squadron 101 celebrates its 50th anniversary

from1998 for details. I'll have to find a copy of Aloni's book. Let'shope the HB
publishes an english version, or at least allows a translation.

Guy

Old May 6th 04, 05:06 AM
David E. Powell

"David Lednicer" wrote in message

Considering that each has given me a list of officially confirmed and
"I'm sure of it, but it wasn't confirmed" kills, yes (I have listed the
unconfirmed ones with a note that they weren't confirmed).

Reminds one of the film "The Blue Max."

Old May 6th 04, 04:55 PM
David Lednicer

from1998 for details. I'll have to find a copy of Aloni's book. Let'shope the HB
publishes an english version, or at least allows a translation.

It's in English and Amazon has it for $13.95!

Old May 9th 04, 02:06 AM
Guy Alcala

David Lednicer wrote:

from1998 for details. I'll have to find a copy of Aloni's book. Let'shope the HB
publishes an english version, or at least allows a translation.

It's in English and Amazon has it for $13.95!

Sorry for my lack of clarity -- I was referring to the IAF HB Mirage history mentioned.

Guy