New Army Aviation Options?

Old February 29th 04, 03:51 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
link.net...
Kevin Brooks wrote:

Last minute update-- an article appeared earlier this month
indicating that, after completing armament of the HH-60's, the
HH-65's will receive an armament capability in the not-too-distant
future.

The armed A109s are leased, so I guess the Coasties would like to get the
capability back into planes they actually own. When the armed helo first
was proposed, the case was made that the Dolphin didn't have enough weight
margins; I wonder what they're doing to change that situation.

Interestingly, a Dolphin with a new Turbomecca engine was tested this past
year--don't know if the USCG has bitten on it as of yet. Note that they are
waiting until they complete arming the -60's before they start on the -65's,
so they may be allowing themselves time to work on getting an engine switch.

Brooks

--
Tom Schoene

Old February 29th 04, 12:54 PM
Thomas Schoene

Guy Alcala wrote:
Thomas Schoene wrote:

The C-295 is smaller, slower and less powerful,
but cheaper.

And also selected by the USCG.

Are you sure? I thought they'd selected the CN-235-300M.

Yes, you're right. But the 235 and 295 are fairy close relatives. (That's
my excuse anyway)

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 29th 04, 09:51 PM
Guy Alcala

Thomas Schoene wrote:

Guy Alcala wrote:
Thomas Schoene wrote:

The C-295 is smaller, slower and less powerful,
but cheaper.

And also selected by the USCG.

Are you sure? I thought they'd selected the CN-235-300M.

Yes, you're right. But the 235 and 295 are fairy close relatives. (That's
my excuse anyway)

I believe the usual formulation is "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it"
;-) But you're essentially correct. From Flug Revue:

The C-295 is based on the CN-235, offering 50 per cent more loading
capacity to the same distances. CASA has used
computer design
programs to optimise the aircraft, and only
about 85 per cent of the
components of the CN-235 remain. Major changes
include:

lengthened fuselage with three new frames
in front and behind of
the wing
reinforced wing structure
three hardpoints under each wing
reinforced landing gear, with two wheels in
the nose
better pressurization system
glass cockpit and FMS. In February 1999,
CASA has choosen
the Topdeck avionics suite from Sextant
Avionique, including
radar, TCAS and GPWS