Composite Aircraft in the long term...

Old September 3rd 03, 02:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Composite Aircraft in the long term...

Okay, so Cirrus is cooking along at 60 aircraft per month. They're selling
everything they can build, and people who have bought them are ecstatic.

Fast forward to the year 2018. What's going to be happening to these
composite beauties?

Reason for asking: A long discussion with some pilots who were staying at
the inn, who contend that they just won't last. Using as an example the
fiberglass wing tips and cowlings that always crack, flake, and crumble
after 15 years, requiring costly (and usually unsuccessful) repairs, these
pilots are convinced that the composite material in Cirrus will eventually
behave in much the same way. And once your fuselage parts start to crack,
flake, and delaminate, the planes will become essentially large
paper-weights.

So what's the group-think here? Will we by flying used Cirrus' in 20 years?
Or will they all be scrap by then?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 3rd 03, 02:20 PM
Jim

I'm not a boater, but what happens to 15 year old fiberglass boats? I'd
think some of the pounding they take would be harder than the normal
stresses an airplane goes through. Of course the boat hulls are thicker.

A lot of the trucks we have have fiberglass hoods and front fenders. The
oldest ones are 1979 models. These trucks are used both in the fields and
on the roads and go through a lot of flexing and bending. We don't see any
cracks or damage in them until some idiot backs one into another. Some of
our tractor cabs are fiberglass and of course go through a lot of vibration,
flexing and bending but like the trucks, everything is a relatively slow
speeds.

Exactly what kind of composite are the Cirrus's made of? Any carbon layers
in them?

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old September 3rd 03, 02:35 PM
Mike Rapoport

There are plenty of '50s and '60s Corvettes around. Fishing poles and skiis
seem to last too.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 3rd 03, 02:45 PM
smf

Jay,

My Glasair II was signed off in 89'. That makes it 14 yrs old. The fuselage
is still in great conditon. It still looks new. It's been hangered except
for being on the ramp on trips. The cowling has a few cracks (hairline)from
the plug wires bumping against it because it is so tightly cowled.

Although, 14 yrs on the ramp would have it looking like an old maid.

Steve

Old September 3rd 03, 03:03 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
the inn, who contend that they just won't last. Using as an example the
fiberglass wing tips and cowlings that always crack, flake, and crumble

Looking at the 5 Pipers on our flight line
(http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/f...equipment.html), (and the four
aircraft that we've sold in the time I've belonged to the club) I'd have
to say that Piper wingtips, wheel fairings and cowls are made with
possibly the worst grade of fiberglass ever made. I wouldn't use that
crap on even a non-structural part of my canoe. It looks like the FRP
that they use to roof outhouses in Ontario Provincial Parks, only cheaper.

Composite aircraft are made with much better materials, and more
importantly are coated and treated to avoid ultraviolet and ozone
degradation.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations in which he
Old September 3rd 03, 03:10 PM
Ted Huffmire

I feel better about aluminum airplanes,
which bend instead of crack under g-loads
experienced by aircraft in flight.
e.g. AA 587 -- you can't even use the rudder.
Look at these old Cessnas from the 1960s--
you just bend them back when they get a dent.

Fiberglass makes great sense for boats, because
aluminum will rust in the salt water.

The Cirrus makes a great doctor killer.
The people who shell out 300K for one of the
300 HP SR-22 models are the kind of BMW-driving
egomaniacs with more money than brains.
They stare at that computer
screen instead of looking out the window and
flying the plane, which they need to do in an
aircraft that is going so fast.
This is why the FAA has proposed
the FITS training standards program.
In 2018 I think there will be a lot more Cessna 172's
around.

Just my 2 cents.

Ted

Old September 3rd 03, 03:46 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Jim wrote:
I'm not a boater, but what happens to 15 year old fiberglass boats?

I've got a 25 year old J-24 (sailboat). It was built using good
quality (but conventional) production techniques for the day:
polyester resin with woven glass cloth, balsa core, and gelcoat. The
basic structure appears to be in as good shape as it was the day it
left the factory. From a cosmetic point of view, it's a mess, but the
hull is sound.

I'm not really sure what you can learn from that, however. The kinds
of construction being used for aircraft today are a world apart from
what was used when my boat was built. Epoxy resin instead of
polyester. Cloth today is kevlar or carbon fiber instead of glass. I
assume aircraft are vacuum bagged and/or kiln baked.

All of these are better techniques, but on the other side, the layups
are a lot thinner. Anything built with the layup schedule of my boat
would be so heavy you'd never get it off the ground.

The only structural fiberglass part on my boat which approaches the
aspect ratio of an airplane wing is the rudder (300mm chord, 20mm max
camber, approx 1100mm unsupported span). Out of the factory, many of
the old rudders were thicker than the class rules allow (thick = more
drag) and in the old days, people tried to fair a few mm off the glass
to make the boats faster. The unfortunate side effect of this was a
lot of broken rudders!

The other high-aspect ratio piece of the hull is the keel. It's made
of lead and weighs 900 lbs. There's probably very little you can
learn about airplane construction from that :-)

Old September 3rd 03, 04:31 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

cowlings that always crack, flake, and crumble
after 15 years,

Well, you and I know (or could know) that statement is poppycock. Our
Tobago, for example, is still going strong with an over 20 year old
plastic cowling. So there's part of your answer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 3rd 03, 04:39 PM
Thomas Borchert

Ted,

which bend instead of crack under g-loads
experienced by aircraft in flight.
e.g. AA 587 -- you can't even use the rudder.

no offense meant, but that's a totally clueless statement - and you
probably even know it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)